Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Tuition Fees/The Supernatural/Freelancing: Get Some Light Exorcise [ISG]  (Read 26518 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Tuition Fees/The Supernatural/Freelancing: All In the Execution [ISG]
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2019, 06:32:59 pm »

I think the werewolf is probably beyond  us right now. We needed equal parts luck and skill with the goblins, I'm not sure if we'll be able to do the wolf. Unless we have backup, which as Mel had already pointed out, poses its own problems.

We could deal with the poltergeist, then time skip until some more contracts turn up. I wouldn't be opposed to a few day-in-the-life sequences either, would be nice to learn a bit more about our girl.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:43:17 am by Kashyyk »

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2019, 07:39:35 pm »

...Actually, yeah, the poltergeist is a good idea for the next contract. I am uncertain about the Werewolf, but the time-skip could be used to search for a suitable Effigy Weapon/Familiar...
Depending on the summonability of Bound creatures, that is. In fact!

The below is purely speculative planning. I would like Mei's input on it, but it is not the main idea. The main idea is jumping a spook (poltergeist job)

--If Bound creatures can be summoned from their effigies easily by us:
Find a minor, but intelligent, creature with potential. Take them in, care for them, train them.
Familiar/Effigy Weapon Get!

--If they cannot be easily summoned:
Find a creature that is likely to have a Weapon Effigy. Bind them. Easy as that.
Effigy Weapon Get!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:57:07 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2019, 05:36:12 am »

Q&A With Mel:

Hm, you mention that powerful creatures mean powerful weapon Effigies... Check up on that Werewolf thing, then tell me, do you have any experience with this "binding" you mention? Could we, perhaps, hunt down a powerful creature outside of our current missions, and capture it, make it our familiar/sentient magical weapon?

Well, they're not necessarily powerful weapons. Sometimes they can do neat tricks, but that's about it. Like Abdullah's axe, which I've heard never needs sharpening and is always hot enough to fry an egg on.

I've also heard he got it by fighting a twelve metre lamia of earth and fire to a standstill, in the caldera of an active volcano, and binding it in a seven-hour ritual after it passed out.

I kinda couldn't do that. Abdullah scares me a bit. I'm not sure he's still all human.

Most weapon effigies are just weapons. They're harder to break, harder to blunt, usually better than a mundane weapon of the same kind, but just weapons.

EDIT: Actually, a high-profile target, like a powerful creature, would be a bad idea. Too obvious. How comfortable would you be with taking in a minor creature and taking care of it, training it, that kinda stuff. Do effigies change as a creature gets stronger?

Most supernatural creatures are pretty static. The ones that aren't are either really big (like deities) or really dangerous (like vampires). Anything that can get stronger usually does so pretty fast, and they almost always go on rampages and/or slip their bindings. Also, they get stronger by feeding on spiritual energy. I'm not really a fan of it.

What does binding entail, and could we summon beings from effigies?

Binding is usually just a formulaic ritual, depending on what you want to bind.

I, uh, have about as much magical ability as a piece of gravel. I can bind creatures, and release creatures I bound, but very little more. It's like the difference between being able to follow a recipe without burning yourself and being able to cook properly, you know? What you might call actual magic isn't really within my reach.

I do know a lot of bindings though! I probably know more than any of the Council's other contractors. Also, most spirits that don't hate humans get along with me unusually well. I try to be nice to them in return. Between the two, I'm still useful to the Council even though I'm a bit of a squib.

But yeah my ability to use creatures in a fight is limited to pointing them in the other direction and hoping they don't kill me. And it's not always much fun trying to stuff the genie back in the bottle, either... Yeah, I just stick to what I know. It's safer.

--If they cannot be easily summoned:
Find a creature that is likely to have a Weapon Effigy. Bind them. Easy as that.
Effigy Weapon Get!

It sounds easy in my head, but it's gotta be an intelligent creature whose defining characteristic is fighting, but that I can take or trap down by myself. I was thinking of trying to find maybe a scorpion spirit, but I'm pretty sure its effigy would just be a claw or tail charm, which aren't much good as weapons. Maybe I'll remember something useful later... I can definitely do it, but it'd be a bit of an undertaking. I think I'd have to do it by ambush if I wanted anything of much size.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tuition Fees/The Supernatural/Freelancing: I Need More Power [ISG]
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2019, 08:18:49 am »

Even a scorpion spirit would be awesome - You said that you can release bindings, right? So that means that you can keep the scorpion's effigy on you as a "break glass in emergency" kinda deal. Could turn it into an inconspicuous looking necklace. Plus, I'm sure that even if we can't make it stronger, we can at least teach it "Mei good, them bad!"

EDIT: Also, when I said "stronger" I meant physically stronger, not spiritually stronger. Like, what would a goblin like Ears be like if he had a proper diet and time at the gym?

But that's a tiny bit off track, we'll return to this later. For right now, we're dealing with the poltergeist!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:34:58 am by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tuition Fees/The Supernatural/Freelancing: I Need More Power [ISG]
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2019, 08:21:57 am »

For right now, we're dealing with the poltergeist!
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Tuition Fees/The Supernatural/Freelancing: What Do [ISG]
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2019, 02:37:29 pm »

Wolfman's time-sensitive, and pays lots of juicy cash dollars kodi. Though maybe the more subtle way will be better than trying to wrench and/or shiv it to death.
Check up on that Werewolf thing

Well, as for the moon...

It'd be safest to do it on Wednesday, although I might be able to get it the day before or after. It'd be a bit chancy, though.

Quote from: Email
Male, 174cm, approx. 80kg. South Pangaean, black hair cut short. Commutes to work at 7 and returns by 5:30 on weekdays. Employed in service sector, do not approach at work. No apparent regular activities on weekends.

One immediate relative: spouse, currently in inpatient care after severe alleged dog attack on the 24th of last month, likely the wolf spirit. No children.

Spirit appears to be characteristic savage wolf spirit. Active possession induces partial transformation of head and extremities. Specific physical characteristics of possessed host unknown, but typical enhanced abilities appear to be present.

According to Council regulations, you will be held responsible for any harm you cause to the host.

I can look up my notes on werewolves and other possessions, and ask the Council for more information if anything comes to mind. First, though, I want to look at the poltergeist case.

We could deal with the poltergeist
For right now, we're dealing with the poltergeist!
+1

Quote from: Email
Resident at local branch of South Pangaea Community Library. Appears to be of "playful" type, likely natural in origin not spirit of the deceased. No records of harm associated with geist. Likely a spirit of wind or of minor upsets. Largest exerted force observed approx. 100N. Measurement unverified, based on observation of aftermath.

Disturbance to library staff and patrons to be minimised.

I quite like spirits, so this all makes sense. Most likely a dust devil was playing in the library courtyard, got pulled through a door or window by a pressure change, and got stuck. Now it's milling around entertaining itself by pushing things over or moving them to confuse people.

If it is a spirit of upsets, then it's a bit more complicated because it's not just bored and trapped, it's a bit more malicious, but at least it isn't tripping people or knocking things onto them.

Either way, the bindings are quite simple and I know them by heart. Doing it without bothering the library's users legitimate occupants might be a bit harder, though... I think I'd get in trouble if I got caught drawing lines across the aisles in salt or fresh soil. Hmmm.

Now, the question is, do I want to look up more about the werewolf and start making preparations, or go for the poltergeist first...? I have tomorrow off as well, apart from the couple of other things I need to get done.

1.  > Look up the rest of the details on werewolves.
2.  > Let's leave that aside for now and do [something] about the poltergeist.
3.  > _                       

Spoiler: Meta (click to show/hide)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2019, 04:25:50 pm »

Well, the geist has a much shorter deadline than the werewolf (and the ideal werewolf date is after the geist deadline anyway) so lets focus on the geist

So are ghosts a salt and iron kind of deal? I'm assuming there's slightly less chance of bodily harm with a spirit.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2019, 06:14:48 pm »

Hm. May as well go for the Geist. Can think about the werewolf later.

Begin investigation of the Geist by visiting the library! Hey, bet there's some books you want to check out while you're there, anyways.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2019, 06:33:06 pm »

Hey! We aren't just going to wander i n there with our current loadout! Remember what we can about poltergeist strength/weakness/quirks, and PREPARE!

AND I'LL CALL YOU MEI IF I WANT TO, MEI!
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2019, 04:30:48 am »

Hm. May as well go for the Geist. Can think about the werewolf later.

Begin investigation of the Geist by visiting the library! Hey, bet there's some books you want to check out while you're there, anyways.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2019, 10:11:23 am »

Well, the geist has a much shorter deadline than the werewolf (and the ideal werewolf date is after the geist deadline anyway) so lets focus on the geist
Remember what we can about poltergeist strength/weakness/quirks, and PREPARE!

May as well have a quick look at the file before I go.

Of course, since I wrote all these notes, I know nearly all of it by heart. The highlights are that you get three different kinds of poltergeist: wild, anthropogenic (it's a mouthful, but what else do you call them?), and undead. Wild poltergeists are nearly always wind spirits, which means they really dislike elemental earth, and have a mild aversion to human artifacts. Anthro poltergeists are usually spirits of misfortune, so they hate symbols of luck. Since they're a kind of pestilent spirit, you can also chase them around with anything symbolically pure. Undead poltergeists are restless ghosts. You can handle them with pretty much any standard exorcism or way of putting the dead to rest. I hear Antipangaean rednecks use a shotgun loaded with salt.

+1

I should have a look, yeah. Maybe I can check out the latest Amanda Misty novel while I'm there... In any case, I don't remember the library's layout perfectly and I dunno where the geist is hanging out. Also, I should confirm its type before carting an entire sack of compost or whatever in.

Hey! We aren't just going to wander in there with our current loadout!

Hmm? Get it together, Mel! There's no reason to be nervous of a poltergeist with no history of harming people. Also, I always have salt and iron nails on me. Neither of them's really perfect, but if it picks a fight with me for some reason I can definitely make an exit.

Reminder: Mel keeps these things in her pockets all the time. Plus keys and phone. Unless she forgets them. That only happens occasionally. Like once a week, tops.

Anyway, it's too late to go to the library now. I'm gonna cook some rice, work on an essay, and hit the sack.

Inelegant Timeskip: Sunday morning, 8:30ish

Library time! They close in the early afternoon on a Sunday, so I need to move with a bit of speed if I want to visit twice during opening hours, but it's not like anywhere's exactly far in this city.

That rat has been tailing me for three blocks now. It's also larger than most house cats. I have a worrying feeling there's something less-than-normal at play here.

1.  > Discretion is the better part of valour. Leave it be.
2.  > That's probably worth checking up on.
3.  > _                       

Spoiler: Meta (click to show/hide)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2019, 03:55:32 pm »

Hi, Mel! New voice here, can you tell the difference? Does it matter? Anyyyway: I'm thinking that since you've already peeked down the alley then the rat knows you know. I say let it be for now, passively observing its behavior and characteristics. Will it still follow you now? Will it go into the library with you? Can other, less supernaturally involved people see it? (That last one because, for a voice in someone's head, I have a curious worry about things being only in someone's head.)

If it's still around when you leave the library, or if it follows you inside, politely ask if it has a message for you. Open communication solves many problems.

Also, you like Amanda Misty too?! The series about the secret agents who are dating is, like, my all-time favorite! So romantic, but with explosions! They should make a movie!

If this 'geist does turn out to be a wind elemental type, is there something they are attracted to? So that we could, say, lure it out an open window instead of trying to banish it with compost? Sounds like it would already want to get away, the only trouble is collecting that fee afterward ...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2019, 09:49:30 pm »

Investigate the rat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2019, 09:56:42 pm »

I. Just really. Don't care about the rat. It's a rat. Rats are not interesting. I don't feel like paying attention to it.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2019, 03:05:09 am »

Looks a bit like of those rats from pokemon. You have pokemon, right?

I'd say leave it be. If it keeps following then we know it ain't a fluke.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15