Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Tuition Fees/The Supernatural/Freelancing: Get Some Light Exorcise [ISG]  (Read 26435 times)

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tuition Fees/The Supernatural/Freelancing: Skirting the Issue [ISG]
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2019, 12:14:50 pm »

*electric mental cattle prod*
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Tuition Fees/The Supernatural/Freelancing: Skirting the Issue [ISG]
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2019, 04:35:32 am »

*electric mental cattle prod*

You thought it was dead...

But it was me, Liu!

So it turns out I don't have the energy to run this during normal varsity terms, surprise surprise. I even drew half an update traditionally from the office, but it's really hard to motivate myself.

Part of that is because I feel like I just had everything running really poorly and everything felt very stilted, in response to which I'm thinking about a bit of a shift to make the game easier to run, and to play! When I started out I was aiming for a sort of weird Pact/noir/I-don't-even-know thing, but it just didn't fit together as smoothly as I hoped.

What I was thinking of as an option instead would be much less secrecy, which'd be much less awkwardness between jobs, and much less... general weirdness with Mel's kit. The shift would hopefully make the game less stilted, easier to make decisions in, and generally more fun for all concerned. A little less Dishonoured, a little more Witcher-y, less time touching on admin, more time working on jobs.

Thoughts? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Was it perfect the way it was?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: Tuition Fees/The Supernatural/Freelancing: ONCE MORE I RIIIISE [ISG]
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2019, 05:12:12 am »

Do as you do, I liked it. I don't think that any change in methodology would change the fact that most of the work is in making the art, which isn't going to change unless you change from ISG to just SG.
I also don't really feel that less secrecy would make anything particularly better, just different. And it would be a disruptive thing to change while the game's already running. May as well put this to rest and start something entirely new, IMO.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2019, 05:38:18 am »

Run the game however you like and I'll continue to participate.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2019, 08:45:25 am »

...how did you know I was reminiscing about how I say something goofy and then we're all chanting "PETS. PETS. PETS."

In other news: I DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN IT COMING BACK BABY!
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2019, 05:09:27 pm »

I've been enjoying it so far. Got excited for a resurgence now, so whilst I'd be very happy for you to keep the game/world/whatevs as is, I'd prefer whatever you feel will make this easier for you to manage.

Although as Egan said, the biggest sink is probably the art, which isn't really going to be affected by a game style change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Tuition Fees/The Supernatural/Freelancing: That's Pretty Lit [ISG]
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2019, 12:36:24 pm »

Burn it to the ground, you know what burn everything else as well.
+1
Report it and leave.
Snap a picture, share to the council's instagram or whatever, and burn it.
This
Agreed. +1.
Take a picture and burn it.

I should document this somehow. Hopefully a photo's good enough.

... #occult #nofilter #abomination #twistedcrimeagainstgodandnature

Also, get rid of this... water? I hope it's water.

Why get rid of the water, though Mel? Well, water doesn't burn very well.

There's always paper litter around. A pile of newspapers, a bit of brute force to re-arrange the... gallows, thing, and there we go.

BONFIRE LIT

I'm not sure why I just thought that. I guess I was hoping for something more dramatic than just a regular trash fire. You know, like explosions or green flames or something. Anyway, this is very cheery, but also almost certainly illegal, so I think I should be going now.

I guess I'll go spin the hospital a yarn about being bitten by a crazed dog and hope no-one notices that the bite marks don't quite match up.

While I do that, I should think about how I plan to herd the wind spirit out of the library. I know they don't like strongly earth-associated things. I wonder if I can make something that won't cause too much mess...

Spoiler: Meta (click to show/hide)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2019, 12:54:47 pm »

I imagine small piles/lines of dirt would fo the trick, but that's probably too messy so we'll call that plan B.

Is there anything they particularly like? Maybe we could leave a jar of dirt at the back of the library and some sort of treat or just outside the front door.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:33:18 am by Kashyyk »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2019, 06:27:43 pm »

Are pieces of metal or rocks strongly-earth associated things? If so, we might be able to use those instead. Less messy than lines of dirt, just put small rows of pebbles instead.

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2019, 10:38:23 pm »

Ptw

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2019, 06:08:33 am »

Just throw some dirt around then clean it after we're finished.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2019, 08:11:43 am »

Is there anything they particularly like? Maybe we could leave a jar of dirt at the back of the library and some sort of treat or just outside the front door.
They're attracted to drafts and other wind.

According to our map, behind the library is mostly concrete but there's a garden area in front. So I'm thinking it will be much easier to shoo the geist out a front window or even the front door. Hey, maybe all we really need to do is get a couple of doorstops to hold the path open and it'll find its own way out. Although we should probably bring some sort of 'herding' equipment to speed things up.

Do we know any magical spells or chanting that might make it uneasy? Like if it thought we were trying to do a binding? (Never mind how unsuccessful since we didn't actually trap it first.) Might be easier and less clean up than throwing dirt all over the library.

The only other thing I've got is something crazy like line our clothes with aluminum foil so that we become a walking metal monster in the eyes of a wind spirit.

(Also don't forget to refill our salt pouch.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2019, 08:47:07 am »

Get some work clothes extremely muddy, wear them, and shoo the spirit out the front door.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2019, 12:49:47 pm »

Walked past a display of whirligigs and thought about how she described it being like a playful toddler: What if we got a couple of cheap pinwheels from the party store and lured it out with something wind-y instead of chasing it with earth? (Bonus points if Mel has an appropriate musical instrument she can use, like a flute or harmonica?)

Edit: In case my plan isn't clear, it would be something like we blow on one pinwheel to demonstrate and hold out the other to entice the geist. Once we have it playing the game, gently lead it out the door. Problem solved!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:58:20 pm by mightymushroom »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!

What if we got a couple of cheap pinwheels from the party store and lured it out with something wind-y instead of chasing it with earth?
Hey, maybe all we really need to do is get a couple of doorstops to hold the path open and it'll find its own way out. Although we should probably bring some sort of 'herding' equipment to speed things up.
Are pieces of metal or rocks strongly-earth associated things? If so, we might be able to use those instead. Less messy than lines of dirt, just put small rows of pebbles instead.

Let's call this Plan A, and if that fails, go on to...

Get some work clothes extremely muddy, wear them, and shoo the spirit out the front door.
Just throw some dirt around then clean it after we're finished.
I imagine small piles/lines of dirt would fo the trick, but that's probably too messy so we'll call that plan B.

Plan B.

[Arts and Craf- nah, I'm not a toddler.

I think I have everything I need:

I should probably come up with a more concrete plan, though. I've got plenty of gravel to try and close off paths, I've got a pinwheel that mostly spins which I can put outside that hopefully draws the spirit, and I've got a fan to draw it along.

...then there's always the mud-monster with a gravel flail plan, if that doesn't work.

The 'geist is still hovering over around the top left corner of the library on this map. It can pass over the shelves pretty easily, but it can't go through solid objects. Also, if I can avoid disturbing the librarians working at the counters, that'd be great. I don't think they'll let me wander around willy-nilly scattering gravel.

Do we know any magical spells or chanting that might make it uneasy?

(Also don't forget to refill our salt pouch.)

I have all the magical talent of a three-days-dead fish. The best I could do is reciting poetry. I can refill my salt, though!

Spoiler: Meta (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15