Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exploding fire clay  (Read 1419 times)

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exploding fire clay
« on: December 13, 2018, 07:17:37 am »

Ok, so I was trying to build a small building attached to a bridge in one of my caverns and then got a notification that the first floor tile that got built collapsed and I saw that in the tile where the boulder was falling down it said not only that there was a rock boulder but also fire clay (even though the tile was in the air next to the bridge and there was no soil around). 1 frame later the fire clay exploded in a huge blast and my dwarves got swept off the bridge by the explosion and fell into the cavern  :o.

in the fighting report it said something along the lines of "Urist is caught in a cloud of fire clay".

What is this sorcery?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Exploding fire clay
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:51:37 am »

Short version: Bridges can't support constructions.

Long version: A dwarf went to work tiling a floor over the open air and he was so drunk that he finished the thing before thinking "well that's a bit odd," thereby causing gravity who was equally drunk to go "oh it is isn't it" sending the entire stone platform crashing into the earth below.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 09:55:06 am »

AFAIK the fireclay didn't acutually cause the problem. the problem was stuff faling onto the fireclay ;)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 12:49:53 pm »

AFAIK the fireclay didn't acutually cause the problem. the problem was stuff faling onto the fireclay ;)

But there was no fire clay anywhere down there, only water further down. And the fire clay appeared in the tile where the floor tile collapsed in that frame and 1 moment later there was a giant explosion of fire clay that threw my dorfs into the cavern lake  :(.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 12:52:01 pm »

But there was no fire clay anywhere down there, only water further down. And the fire clay appeared in the tile where the floor tile collapsed in that frame and 1 moment later there was a giant explosion of fire clay that threw my dorfs into the cavern lake  :(.
The explosion of fire clay was dirt being kicked up from the cave in.

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 01:03:56 pm »

The explosion of fire clay was dirt being kicked up from the cave in.

Hm, are you sure? Because the dirt on the cavern floor was submerged and the fire clay appeared immediately when the floor started falling, it was before the cave in hit the ground...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 01:27:12 pm »

Hm, are you sure? Because the dirt on the cavern floor was submerged and the fire clay appeared immediately when the floor started falling, it was before the cave in hit the ground...

Cave-ins are instantaneous, what you saw was one or two squares of fireclay cloud that popped into existence the moment the floor fell and had not yet expanded into a cloud.

Graysire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 08:01:23 pm »

Would it be possible to mod Fire Clay to be explosive?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 10:19:14 pm »

Would it be possible to mod Fire Clay to be explosive?
I don't know what DFhack is currently capable of but I don't think so. The most extensive mods I can think of produce "explosions" by having something catch fire or having it evaporate into a cloud without pushing ability.