Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Prosperous Universe: a browser based interstellar economy sim  (Read 15647 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperous Universe: a browser based interstellar economy sim
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 01:14:27 am »

Yeah, carbon is the main limiter on everything just now I think. 

I started as a Constructor (Basic Materials Plant, Collector, Incinerator) on Vallis but ended up restarting cos while the Carbon I made was in demand I couldn't get any hydrocarbon plants to fuel its production so I ended up with pioneers sitting idle but still consuming expensive drinks, rations and clothes.  Building new facilities is massively expensive (like 50-100k for basic structures) and with 4-5k fuel costs for a round trip to the commodities market I was never going to make the profit required to start production myself.

So I've restarted and this time I sold off a bunch of my starting resources to buy a ton of BSE so I can make 4 collectors instead of the more advanced buildings - no input requirements so never sitting idle and hopefully oxygen and hydrogen have some demand once carbon starts flowing a bit more readily.  I did consider farming but I wasn't sure how bad the production times were with the low soil and water levels on those two planets - info the game doesn't provide until you've actually built the facilities.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 01:21:17 am »

The production times for plants seems to be several days sadly. I have one rig, one farmstead and one food buiding. I am working on building a second farm. Man, prices on everything right now are so horribly inflated it's probaby gonna take me like a month to get enough money for the 4 BBH I need for the second farm.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 01:46:16 am »

I wonder how much faster it is running them on Promitor - whether it'd be enough to counter the 10k-ish fuel costs of FTL'ing the crops over to Montem/Vallis (and whether demand back on Promitor would be low enough that you'd even need to to sell it).

I'm also curious how anyone's going to make any money if the only new money coming into the system is from new players... and low production means those new players are having to sink a lot of their money into the 'market maker' to get the consumables they need.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 02:49:44 am »

I'm farming on Daikoku and I'm planning to go into drinks more than food.  Water seems like it's going to be a bottle neck to me for farming anyway.  Need to save up for 12 BSEs.  NPC price for that is 36,000.  Gunna need to sell a ton of rations and drinking water to buy that.

After a rig I plan on a second farm to make cotton so we can get more goods in production.

Just wish my map screen worked and I could see the populated systems more easily.

Also I just really want to build a hydroponics empire on a gas giant.  To bad I would have to import to much to make that work.  Wouldn't even be able to make rations using only a hydroponics.  A hydroponics does allow a carbon industry locally on any world.  Also meat as long as you have access to limestone.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 04:09:31 am »

I'm farming on Daikoku and I'm planning to go into drinks more than food.  Water seems like it's going to be a bottle neck to me for farming anyway.  Need to save up for 12 BSEs.  NPC price for that is 36,000.  Gunna need to sell a ton of rations and drinking water to buy that.

After a rig I plan on a second farm to make cotton so we can get more goods in production.

Just wish my map screen worked and I could see the populated systems more easily.

Also I just really want to build a hydroponics empire on a gas giant.  To bad I would have to import to much to make that work.  Wouldn't even be able to make rations using only a hydroponics.  A hydroponics does allow a carbon industry locally on any world.  Also meat as long as you have access to limestone.

Yeah, your right. Water will be the bottleneck. I can just buy water for cheap meanwhile all the plants are really expensive. So I figure I'll make more money with that. Sides, I think what it needs right now is a playerbase that sticks around. I have the feeling that so many players lose interest just because of how dead the market is right now.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 08:34:50 am »

I'm also curious how anyone's going to make any money if the only new money coming into the system is from new players... and low production means those new players are having to sink a lot of their money into the 'market maker' to get the consumables they need.

Well there's also the shared markets (on the starting planets) but that is only going to come into serious play when money quantity becomes low enough. Best results would probably come from setting up some high-tier (scientist) mint, as that would both encourage people to get into higher tiers and and to shut off production when the money quantity becomes too high.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:38:41 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 09:28:23 am »

So players start with a bit of money and some buildings. Resources come out the ground with labour. Pioneers are paid with Rations/drinking water/clothes to keep them working, currently ~95% of that is going to come from the market maker. On the other end, people who get enough money to build some new building probably have to buy ~95% of that from the market makers too. There also seems to be some "materials delivered" cost Im seeing, ~6% of sales to other players, something like this, but not sure of this item yet.

So yea, seems money is going to dry up in this set up fairly quickly. Lots of money going out, limited money coming in from new players, the other money coming in from a bit of goods dumped on the MM, only initial fuel right now?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 10:19:07 am »

So yea, seems money is going to dry up in this set up fairly quickly. Lots of money going out, limited money coming in from new players, the other money coming in from a bit of goods dumped on the MM, only initial fuel right now?
Initial fuel is worth more than triple the starting cash of a player, so don't discount it. And some places (Promitor, I think) are getting close to self sufficiency in terms of basic consumables (for Pioneers, natch, not all classes.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 12:01:45 pm »

Testing things out now. I started as a carbon farmer on Promitor, set up my initial production and also sold some fuel to buy a rig so I can start producing water myself rather than buy it. May not be the best move, we'll see.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 12:38:10 pm »

Oh, I had forgotten you could sell off the fuel. That's interesting. Might be enough to let me get that second farm up. I'll have to check later tonight.

Rumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 01:32:58 pm »

Are you using Chrome? Some other folks have reported missing parts of the map with Chrome. Have you tested with incognito/safe mode? Obv. another browser is the current workaround but that's a pain.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 02:45:06 pm »

I restarted my account. I'm still going to do farming, but I built two farmsteads...when it been a TON better to build two water collectors. Two farmsteads is too much of a deadlock early on since need so much water.

And now I have a buy order for 10 BSE (which is what I need to get another water collector) so I should be able to get a 2nd water collector soon.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:55:34 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 06:26:12 pm »

With no concrete plan of what to do, I'm currently camped on Montem aiming for water production. Figure that, no matter what happens, people need to live.

...And how do you clear your alerts? That ( 8 ) on my tab is kind of bugging me.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 06:57:12 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2018, 07:07:50 pm »

I think I'm going to have to restart. Unless there's a big market shake-up, I appear to have dug myself into a hole.

I can make as much iron ore and limestone as I like, but both of those are selling for peanuts.

I can refine iron ore to iron (which sells for ~2.5k), but that takes carbon, and carbon is currently selling for ~3k each. So that's 500 in the hole each.

I can then turn my iron into BSEs... but BSE prices are hard capped at 3k (since that's what the 'store' will sell them for).

Best case (if you can call it that), is that, after mining, refining, and production... I break even.  :'(

Edit: Okay, two water rigs, a farmstead, and an incinerator. This should hopefully have more of a future.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:33:01 pm by AlStar »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2018, 12:38:07 am »

...And how do you clear your alerts? That ( 8 ) on my tab is kind of bugging me.
In the top left corner you'll see "NOTS 8" (with the 8 being how many 'unread' notifications you have).  Click that then mark all as read.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8