Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mean Streets: A Dungeon Punk Gangster SG  (Read 7205 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mean Streets: A Dungeon Punk Gangster SG
« on: December 13, 2018, 04:15:27 pm »

I promised I would do new game Thursday. Here it is. Enjoy.

Its a Suggestion game just like SPAM stuff. This time your a gangster, in a dungeon punk world. Enjoy!

Behold!

Name main leader:
Gang type:
Stats: (Bonus 3 at start depending. Mafia Savvy, Smugglers, Sneak, Cult is Charm, Strong Arm is Violence.)
Start with 1 in all Stats except bonus. Have 14 to speed. (Max is 10.)
Gang Picks:
Based on which gang you picked, get choices there. Have in total 10 character points to spend.
Personal Pros: Pick 3, can pick 5 if two cons.
Rackets and Gang stuff: Gang flaws (3 in total) grant 5 bucks a flaw.
Start off with 24 coins for rackets and gang gear stuff.

Gangs:

Mafia:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Smugglers:

Cult:

Strong Arm:

Rackets: All racket are listed below. Manpower 4 to run them all, cost is next to racket. (To upgrade, times this by two.)
Den of Sin: (5) Sex Workers, drugs, gambling, and illegal blood sports. Provide the customer with the heart’s desire, though it will cost them in the long run. Special ability is can host parties to get rid of all dissent in the gang. Grants 8 funds to gang as long it works.

Legitimate Business: (3) That’s right. A legitimate business! No illegal activity here. Some may scoff at such a thing, but it is honest money, Cops cannot complain there. Though bonus is extra man power, by using employees as you see fit. Grants 6 funds a level.
Bank of the Underworld: (4) All about the money. Loans, checks to assassins and so forth. Anyone who needs desperate cash? Comes here. Though we warned you of the interest. The special here is any Racket you own. That racket gives a coin to this. ( And upgrade form get even more.) 8 funds a level.

Smuggling: (6) Grants 11 funds but the riskiest. Selling stolen artwork, jewelry, booze, drugs and cigarettes. Preferred to do it from surplus supplies to dodge taxes.
Bonus is knowing where and how to slip into the dark for smuggle runs. Adds a die to sneaking hen selling stuff.

Criminal Operation: (5) 8 funds. A huge operation going on as your crime family owns a “business” of the city. Trash, grocery stores, docks, a forge, or so forth.

Special? Depends on what it is. Like just killed someone and need to get rid of the body? If owe a butcher shop/grocery? Lets just say those nonhumans, love the special pork for a reason.

Personal Perks:
Stunning Personality: Despite your role in life. People, love you, like they cannot stay mad or even hate you. And you play right into it so mistakes are forgiven. -1 unhappiness just by personality.
A Good Boss: A pro behind the desk slaying paper work. With this, can run two rackets at same time and still run the gang.
Boys will be Boys: You love getting into trouble. And people just laugh it off. With this, rolling for heat? The number of crimes is reduced in half due to this perk.
Basic Traditions: Make good with a group in city as you know the cultures.
Big Pair of Balls: You live for danger and adventure. The more out there the heist, crime or combat? You get a modifier towards it. Just by the sheer drive of coming across as one of the most badass and craziest people around.
Firm Hand: You live like a monk. Heck, even more simple and money pitching than a monk. Conserve more cash than those types. You personally need to spend a personal coin once every 2 turns.
Discount Medicine: you know what it takes to break a man. Also know how to put one back together. Roll Savvy, bigger roll. More injuries healed.
Secret Knowledge: Know the knowledge of the underground of the city. It’s history and how magic energy resides there. Half cost for ritual magic to work.
Magic School Graduate: You actually graduated from a magic school. Meaning can use default spells and such to mix things up.
Monster Among Men: The Leader’s Brute score is X 2 than his gang score. Hinting the boss maybe  super human killing/fighting machine or maybe even a nonhuman warrior who got into crime.

Got the Dirt: pick a NPC. This npc is target of fact you know deep, dark secrets about said side.

Gear Perks:

The Secret Places: Underground layers to commit rites. It goes from 1-4. Each layer is 2 coin a layer. But deeper layer, less likely to be caught and better rite rolls.
Bad Mumbo Jumbo: Profane and disgusting, unhealthy ingredients for the rites. Adds +2 to them working. But if fail a sneaking roll to get the stuff. It’s 2 heat. (Because you never know, those organs could be human.)
Know the Fad: +1 (not a modifier just a constant when bought.)  when hosting a party. Because you’re in the know what is “in” and not. Such as displays, food and so forth. (5 coin.)
Holy Item: (Cost 2) A work of faith and love that can dispel or banish bad magics and getting rid of agents of foul forces your enemies send to you. Use to either disturb a rite (Got to find out of it) or when summoned a bad thing, use it to repel it away for good. Use is only once so gotta buy like ammo. (Sacred Cross Bow shot, holy water, holy ashes, that kind of thing.)
A Sacred Weapon: (Cost of 6) This is a sacred “Weapon” and as a result gain + Violence based on maximum depth enemy has. (If a 4, add that 4 to Violence score against gang, and the sacred weapon beats down their evil summons too.)
A Secret Dock: Have a secret dock attached to the sea or river. No one knows of it. But only your crew and secret business partners. Get access to more goods to deal. (3)
Guarded Treasury: (Cost is 2.)  Keep a tight, and watchful eye of where you store your cash. So no way your getting cheated out of your cut.
Fine Weapons: Have really high quality weapons, like fine blades with oiled holsters, or really keen blades, gigantic knives. Also bludgeoning weapons that are worth a darn. (1)
Guns: Guns! Crossbows. One handed, heavy, gigantic, and repeater. Also gun powder guns, and air powered guns. This is you getting access to guns and well bonus in Violence +4 and chance to start combat with ranged attacks. (3)
Tools of the Trade: As in the Trade of Thieves. These tools worth more than money and a huge help getting around. +3 to Sneak rolls with gang. (2)
Dressed to Kill: (Cost 3) Know how to dress up and look sharp. Gian +3 in Charm.
Grave Digging: Why did you buy that land full of dead bodies? TO dig them out, for reasons. Costs two manpower to dig up a dead body. (3)
Chemical Dependency: (2) You sell drugs, even to your henchmen. Like a messed up Serpent eating it’s own tail. So of course your junkie minions will be loyal as you got the stuff, right? Right!? (Unless get the idea to kill you and take it all.)
This distasteful pick means max dissent you get a turn failure of gang is 1. But it’s a messed up reason why.
Familiars: Summoned pet beings from another plane. Bond to a owner who in turns uses to best of advantage. (Cost is 8.) Acts as spare man power and +3 to violence rolls.
Patron: Have connections with a mysterious but helpful benefactor. Offers huge pay days but have to do the patron’s bidding at times. (3 rep. Not cash.)
Consecrated Ground: Have so much blessed bling in grounds of control that counts as holy ground like at church district. Great defense against foul magic. (3)
Rural Village: If worried about taking too much heat the boss leaves the city to go to a vacation spot before returning. (3)
Book of Dirty Secrets: like the Dirty Secret perk, this time get to collect them them for multiple black mails or shaming people. (4)
Magical Arsenal: Now have arcane magic trick gear. (6)
Item of Power: A item that channels magic power to enhance personal spells and rites.( price is 8.)
Arcane Connections: Know the dealers who sell magic items for discounts. (6)
Friends of a different sort: Here have bonus help from nonhuman refugees.(4)
Implants: Magictech or bio punk implants to enhance your crew. (12)
Nice Ride(S): Able to afford and using transportation to get around the city. Magictech automobile, flying critters or magic carpet. Discuss if buying this as flavor of setting you know? (10)
Body Armor: Now at a time in history that body armor worth a darn exists.(5)

Flaws:
Cruel Streak: You cannot deal with failure. If it goes down and not according to your plan. Your mind gets full of a cold fire that burns into the soul. When gang fails two things in one turn, roll Brute Rating. Succeed. Only one manpower is listed as exhausted or needs cool down. (Meaning the other slackers have to pick up the pace, screw them.)
Hot Headed: Got a huge temper that keeps on getting you in trouble. On a savvy failure against the Cops and Heat, gain a bonus one.
Wanted: You committed a bad act and was caught doing it. The Cops are on to you. If/When Heat is maxed. They will look for you by name basis and lock in to your home base by asking the right questions, and ask it hard.
Black Listed: your rep is killer, and pitch dark in terms of respect. Must make three rolls to pass to go to law abiding residence (in that even assassins find you bad.) If not, kicked out of the place.
Strange sense of Honor: If enemy beats you in Savvy roll, knows of you code and must follow code of conduct until the person is no longer your guest (Lasts for one turn, but given the npc can hamper your stuff. Yeah.)
Curse of Shape Shifting: Here your leader has nonhuman blood. The kind that seizures into a shape shifted critter that loses control and goes out to maul/eat unlucky people in the war path.
Gutter Trash: You were born and raised and risen from the trash of society. Hell you can even consider eating utensils as make shift shivs and skanks. Along with the most foul and crude words dripping from your mouth. When dealing with royalty, or BIG business. Chop off 3 charm while dealing with these high bred folk.
Greedy Hands: Something shiny and looks valuable? Mine! But yes, roll Savvy roll, if fail 1 heat.
Mortality Pet: Your character loves and cares for someone who is completely innocent to the criminal activities. Character will lose modifiers if caught or something happens to person.
Gang Flaws:
A Noble Air: Ironically your gang members are of nobility and would rather hang out with own kind. Charm roll, if failed, +2 heat as the normal nobles get dirt on what’s going on.
Flock of Cowards: Your crew must make a save or they run from the fight.
Superstitious Lot: Your minions are extra scared of magic, so no defense to it and bad at using it.
Rivals: To pick this means another gang is generated with sole purpose of making your life miserable.
Too Hungry: Too eager to make a buck. Way too eager. Must roll to keep in line or roll 1 die 3 sides, lose that much manpower as they do their own stuff, uncoordinated at all so a minus modifier of -2 of 6. Meaning 4 is best result.
Do not take care of themselves: These blighters do not keep themselves in good health. Sick and getting weaker. Double man power exhaustion due to bad health.

The Arcane: Magic spells, are magic spells. Done by book reading, memorizing and such. In this system based on the 9 Pillars of Reality. Mind, Conflict, Energy, Nature, States, Dimension, Time, Death, and Balance.
Spells are done on the spot. Rites? Regard darker, more potent stuff from the land, so need to go underground lairs of city to do. Plus it’s a bad idea to rite on surface. Too easy to spot due to effects.

Magic:
Mind:
1: Stun Bolt; A projectile that hits, stunning the target.
2: Mind Control: Mind control a poor schmuck hit by this spell.
3: Illusion; Really play with target audience should they fial save.
Conflict:
1: Fearsome Strength; More people slain by target in combat, target gets stronger, faster, and deadlier.
2: Seeing Red; Conjure a oval zone effect. Anything stuck in there seeks to fight and murder. Turning ally on ally.
3: Double Edged Resolution: Aura armor effect, reduces damage in half as the enemy gets hurt the other half of damage.

Energy:
1: Energy Barrier; Super protective barrier.
2: Energy Bolt: Blast forth a explosive energy bolt that can blow people up.
3: False Light: A magic globe flash light/torch so no problems with night fighting.

Nature:
1: Elements; Access Air, Earth, Fire, and Water for various things.
2: Command Creatures; Able to boss around  animals. Did we mention this city has a zoo? Oh yeah can get useful. Oh and wild/feral stuff too.
3:Conjure Elementals: Summon spirits of the natural elements to aid.

States:
1: Melt: Green bolt, hits solid mass (People, walls, etc) Melts it away asa  sickening green goo. That can also burn people or things.
2: Armor: Makes users skin as hard as adamanite for limited time.
3: Shape Change; Alter states of caster to transform.
Dimension:
1: Teleport: Go from Point A to B, in visual distances.
2: Call: Able to call in loyal creatures from other realties.
3: Teleport Target: Send enemy to another spot in the visual range.

Time:
1: Alter Speed: Slow down everyone and speed allies/yourself up. To get free licks in.
2: Time Stop: Stop time except for caster to make a escape or set something up.
3: Bolts of Slow: Energy blasts, slow down targets so easier to kill and it hurts too.

Death:
1: Spirit Death: A magic bolt, that when hits someone alive, kills instantly as soul is rendered to nothing.
2: Soul Drain: Eat life force of target, healing wounds and killing target.
3: Soul Forge; Make new magic weapons out of souls of losers. Blades, armor and such.

Balance:
1: Equalized: In a fight both parties equal each other. Becoming a manner of skill and luck.
2: Tip the Scales: Favor one more than another. But beware, got to roll. Failed roll favors the other guy and not you.
3: Focus: Defeats dissent by giving gang a single objective to face.

Rites: Below are the Rites.
1: Talking Dead: Get three answers by asking the dead stuff.
2: Animate Dead: Get to make magic zombies, multiple. (Limit, 12.) They last for four turns or if defeated. Strong undead bastards.
3:Bifrost Pass: Use the Depths as a tunneling system to appear anywhere in the city in one turn. Portal system can carry up to 16 men.
4:  Prison of Flesh: Your zombies want to stay dead? Too bad, this spell grants the undead 3 more turns of undeath though they wish to die already.
5: The Call of Darkness: Makes a Direct “gain” depths over all for more evil stuff to happen back to back.
6: Judgement Call: Cast the Sins someone has done, the target in turn gets new flaws pre success roll and gets worse until dead. As the sins freakken eat him up.

7: Open the Gates: Always a chosen gangster the ability to cast actual magic without need of a book (Pillar Stuff.)

Cost of all Rites is 4 Bad Mumbo Jumbo and At least 4 man power to ensure the rites work.

(Done! My birthday present, to you guys.)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:36:19 am by Tyrant Leviathan »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Mean Streets: A Dungeon Punk Gangster SG
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 12:47:46 am »

As I’m on a phone and not a computer, I can’t really go through all this stuff very well :/ that said, my ideas:
-Smugglers forever. It’s only so long before the world is in our pocket.
-Start with a Legitimate Business or two. Better to build up some money safely before we start taking bigger risks, and it makes people less likely to suspect us.
-Criminal Operation. We can even dress it up like one of the legit ones.
-Secret knowledge, magic school grad, and either a good boss or some discount medicine.
-Know the fad, secret dock, arcane connections, rural village. Maybe dressed to kill.

I’ll go through magic later, and I don’t like any of the flaws.
Let me know what my budget is right now, if you would.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 08:42:36 am »

As I’m on a phone and not a computer, I can’t really go through all this stuff very well :/ that said, my ideas:
-Smugglers forever. It’s only so long before the world is in our pocket.
-Start with a Legitimate Business or two. Better to build up some money safely before we start taking bigger risks, and it makes people less likely to suspect us.
-Criminal Operation. We can even dress it up like one of the legit ones.
-Secret knowledge, magic school grad, and either a good boss or some discount medicine.
-Know the fad, secret dock, arcane connections, rural village. Maybe dressed to kill.

I’ll go through magic later, and I don’t like any of the flaws.
Let me know what my budget is right now, if you would.

Did the math. 24 game bucks. Legit business and criminal operation with gear picks evenly spends it all out. And if pick Smugglers there is the Smuggler gang pick stuff.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 01:21:52 pm »

I like Paths, Blood, and Key, but Hostile Transactions is kinda... eh. :/
Can I take Lift the Lamp from the Mafia for the remaining 3 points we’ve got? It fits better with what I’m envisioning.

Anyway, we start with 4 sneak and 1 everything else, right? I’m thinking prioritize charm and savvy, but I’ll let someone else that wants to get involved (if anyone does :/ ) figure out the specifics.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 01:42:06 pm »

No no. Cannot mix traits from multiple gang type due to themes.

Mafia: Family, honorable gangsters who look out for the little guy, but ask favors in turn.

Smugglers: Basically illegal trade and selling stuff. Closest thing in reality are thief’s who sell stuff or drug cartels.

Cult: Enough said, the really out there and pretty much insane new idealist brought by desperation and the leader holds the answers. Supposedly anyway.

Strong Arm: Ex military who are fed up with how their lives are. So making cash, outside the law.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 04:41:42 pm »

The idea I’m thinking of is basically between the Mafia and the Smugglers; Mafia ideology, Smuggler methods. Does that make sense?

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 06:57:10 pm »

It does make perfect sense but yeah. This is not my normal modular stuff. Set path with some things. Oh and gang stats are currently

Violence: 1
Charm:1
Savvy:1
Sneak: 5 ( smuggler)

Got eight points to mix stuff around ( max is 10. Can power it up.)

Also do have a game that is a suggestion quest deal. Super modular,  no arms race, just choices.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 06:15:48 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 03:52:08 pm »

Well if no one else votes. Will start this gang and go to “auto” where spare stat points go. Tomorrow anyway.

Also for my birthday tomorrow will give you guys another game. On the roll here and no social life, so yeah.

Another SG game, hunting monsters.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 02:27:38 pm »

Note: You guys pick name of the gang.

States:
Sneak: 6 ( 1 point plus bonus)
Savvy: 4  (3)
Violence:3 (2)
Charm: 3 (2)

Secret Knowledge: Bonus In Rites and moving in the space below the streets.

Magic School Graduate: Pick your three magic schools from pillar system.

Good. Boss: Do not need a officer yet. Running both business.

Rackets:

Legit Business: A diner/bar deal. Serves humans and non humans alike.

Criminal Operation: Sanitation, aside cleaning the city have agents within job to sometimes snatch things that no one is looking.

Starting location (default)

The Narrows: Where the poor and hopeless live. Though you have the knowledge if you treat these people with kindness, they will look at you like a saint.

Bonus effect: Any gang or even cops giving you trouble on your district, the common folk back you the hell up.

Current man power: 12
Current cash:11 ( for now.)

So mates, what’s the first order of business?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 07:34:41 am »

I'm not sure what to use as a name so I'm gonna leave that to someone else.

I say we look around our hood, business, and what items we have at base.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 11:57:56 am »

Well at base there is stuff to sell illegally, mind altering smokes, outlawed alcohol of Dwarvern nature, some fancy jewelry from the private dock. Which you can visit at any time to check on new shipments.:

There are nine districts of the city, can visit them at a given time. Npc forces? There are seven. Nobility, social movement, magic users who control the market district, the Coos and your three gang rivals.

Said rivals are three in total and they are templates of the other gang types.

All business is giving 11 coins in total, just boss donto the boss.

The Legit job is a restaurant, and the Criminal operation is sanitizing.

There is also four stacks of papers from said job. Dirty little secrets.

Edit: Oh and since boss can do magic, pick three of nine pillars.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 11:05:33 pm by Tyrant Leviathan »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 06:34:24 am »

Lets go to the dock and see if any new stuff has arrived, and maybe sell some of the illegal stuff.

These are the magic things I think we should go with:
Time
Dimension
Nature

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 12:48:40 pm »

I think as far as magic goes: mind, dimension, nature. would give us a lot more utility outside of combat, while not being too shabby in combat either.

I think our first order of business should be to find out the local gossip/news. With the number of locals coming to the bar/restaurant, there's got to be one or two which can dish out some dirt on current events.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 09:27:53 am »

For record each game turn get to puck and choice. Because you graduated fro the Nine Pillars school. The only ones who have limit or so are self taught, drop outs, or wielding items to mimic the spell.

And since your leader Guy has two business under control translates to doing two things. So will combine suggestions ( gangs get more actions with leaders or officers. Issue there is they have their own drives and wants.)
Pages: [1] 2