Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Big Wait  (Read 2102 times)

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
The Big Wait
« on: December 14, 2018, 07:54:54 pm »

Real life issues prevent me from following DF’s development actively, could someone please sum up what features we are likely to get before the dreaded Big Wait, and what we are likely to get in the release that follows it?

Much obliged!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: The Big Wait
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 07:59:01 pm »

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

Read everything up to "Fortress Starting Scenarios", with everything listed above "Creation Myths and Magic Systems" being pre-Big Wait. :)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 08:00:04 pm »

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

Read everything up to "Fortress Starting Scenarios", with everything listed above "Creation Myths and Magic Systems" being pre-Big Wait.

Thank you!

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 09:03:14 pm »

In one of the last FotF replies, Toady said "I am in a state of total ambivalence on sieges currently, ha ha ha.  At this point, it doesn't make sense to commit to either way, since the feeling on the ground will be whatever it is when the villains are released." in response to someone asking if we're gonna get improved sieges before the big wait. It looks like we don't really know how much more of the pre-big wait candidate features we're gonna get after the villain update. It's gonna depend on how the villain gameplay will feel like.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 10:36:42 pm »

I personally hope he finds time to tweak the current sieges at least a little bit, but I also appreciate the fact that he's more than ready to move onto the Big Wait after a much longer delay on villains than expected.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 01:42:26 am »

what is the big wait?
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 01:44:38 am »

The projected several-year gap in DF releases over which Toady will be developing the myth and magic system. Scheduled to begin at some point in 2019.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 01:47:48 am by PlumpHelmetMan »

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 10:05:37 pm »

Just started reading through the planned feature list...here's one I like the phrasing of:

"Responding properly to personal fire issues (all modes)"

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 06:33:03 am »

That's part of the general list though :) (And it would be when constructions are made flammable too).

That is to say, we might get it during the big wait, or during this current dev arc, or during a much later one :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!