Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: found weird metal in soil  (Read 3066 times)

blackattack54

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a dwarf yes
    • View Profile
found weird metal in soil
« on: December 15, 2018, 09:15:19 am »

i found something called "flashing metal" in the soil, and am confused. what is this? i want to post a gyazo of the announcement i got but im afraid ill get in trouble

update: another 2 layers down i found a second vein of it. what is this stuff and why am i only seeing it now? also when i designate it it turns black

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:23:25 pm by blackattack54 »
The war grizzly bear bites the Hammer Lord in the head, but the blow is deflected by the -iron helm-!
The war grizzly bear latches on firmly!
The war grizzly bear shakes the Hammer Lord around by the head and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Doren Delerilon, Hammer Lord, has been struck down.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
Re: found weird metal in soil
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 09:28:45 am »

That's a divine metal, usually linked to a Deity that has something related with "flashing", search the wiki for "Divine Metal" that can be pretty useful. IIRC, they're PRETTY strong
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

blackattack54

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a dwarf yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 09:32:15 am »

That's a divine metal, usually linked to a Deity that has something related with "flashing", search the wiki for "Divine Metal" that can be pretty useful. IIRC, they're PRETTY strong

is it possible to find them in fortress mode or should i tell tarn about it? thanks for the help by the way
The war grizzly bear bites the Hammer Lord in the head, but the blow is deflected by the -iron helm-!
The war grizzly bear shakes the Hammer Lord around by the head and the severed part sails off in an arc!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 09:42:07 am »

Divine metals should not be found outside of their source locations (there are reports it has been seen [buggily] in eleven caravan items, although I've only found divine fabric there [which is still a bug, but a reported one]). The most likely reason for divine metal being found as an "ore" is probably that some hacking resulted in material references being screwed up. I wouldn't be surprised if hacking a material raw file and having a backup of the original with the ".txt" extension retained could give such results.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 09:42:32 am »

So far from what I know, the only way to find it was in Demon Vaults, the angels defending it always carry weapons and armor made of them. I haven't heard of any other way of acquiring it :/
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.

blackattack54

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a dwarf yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 09:53:26 am »

So far from what I know, the only way to find it was in Demon Vaults, the angels defending it always carry weapons and armor made of them. I haven't heard of any other way of acquiring it :/

thanks, and a dwarf just got attacked by a log. i think this is gonna be a fun playthrough

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 09:54:28 am »

!!FUN!! is to be expected

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 11:58:02 am »

When you designate it for digging and it goes black, that is just a tileset/image issue, and the dwarfs will be able to dig it out without issue.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

blackattack54

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a dwarf yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 12:16:43 pm »

When you designate it for digging and it goes black, that is just a tileset/image issue, and the dwarfs will be able to dig it out without issue.

i use the basic ASCII, so that's why I found it weird.

blackattack54

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a dwarf yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 12:56:19 pm »

it would appear that i can make tools out of the flashing metal however i need flashing metal bars which i have no idea how to make. also on the wiki it says the ore for this metal is N/A so there is definitely a problem here.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 01:00:53 pm by blackattack54 »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 03:22:06 pm »

There is, naturally, only one way forward.

Exploit the HFS out of this discovery.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 08:51:53 pm »

should i tell tarn about it?

Definitely (assuming you are playing an unmodded game...).

Suggest uploading a save to http://dffd.bay12games.com/ and making a bug report on Mantis (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php).

First time I have heard of this happening. :o

p.s. I would assume that you need to smelt the flashing metal into bars.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 11:52:45 pm »

thanks, and a dwarf just got attacked by a log. i think this is gonna be a fun playthrough

This probably means that your woodcutter chopped down a tree and the one of the falling logs hit him.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

blackattack54

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a dwarf yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 10:27:23 am »

should i tell tarn about it?

Definitely (assuming you are playing an unmodded game...).

Suggest uploading a save to http://dffd.bay12games.com/ and making a bug report on Mantis (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php).

First time I have heard of this happening. :o

p.s. I would assume that you need to smelt the flashing metal into bars.

two things: i believe my save was corrupted, as i have made 10 or 11 other worlds since then and this has not happened since. second thing is that its impossible to smelt them into bars because flashing metal apparently has no mine-able ore.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 11:03:24 am »

Providing there was enough material you could have melted it, since it's not a alloy. (i apologise if i misunderstood your response on the reliance on ores but im quite sure you can melt copper objects without ore after editing it out if you made them seperately, like cheating bars in a reaction which would still give the civ access to the metal, making a object out of it then melting it again to get the bar back)

This 'could' be a abandoned kobold object with the theory of kobolds visiting and looting objects from vault sites being picked up by elves but i think that would be super unlikely.

'In' the soil is weird and like others have suggested, sounds like some sort of cascading problem with materials being flunked up badly.
Pages: [1] 2