Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: found weird metal in soil  (Read 3067 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: found weird metal in soil
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 11:52:30 am »

Providing there was enough material you could have melted it, since it's not a alloy. (i apologise if i misunderstood your response on the reliance on ores but im quite sure you can melt copper objects without ore after editing it out if you made them seperately, like cheating bars in a reaction which would still give the civ access to the metal, making a object out of it then melting it again to get the bar back)

This 'could' be a abandoned kobold object with the theory of kobolds visiting and looting objects from vault sites being picked up by elves but i think that would be super unlikely.

'In' the soil is weird and like others have suggested, sounds like some sort of cascading problem with materials being flunked up badly.

The way I understand it, it’s not an item, but rather a vein in the ground.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 01:10:16 pm »

You could run a text search on the files in your ../df/raw/object/ files and see if the word "flashing" is found (not case-sensitive search....). It does not exist in the vanilla raw files (it is hard-coded in the df executable).

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

blackattack54

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a dwarf yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 08:40:29 pm »

Providing there was enough material you could have melted it, since it's not a alloy. (i apologise if i misunderstood your response on the reliance on ores but im quite sure you can melt copper objects without ore after editing it out if you made them seperately, like cheating bars in a reaction which would still give the civ access to the metal, making a object out of it then melting it again to get the bar back)

This 'could' be a abandoned kobold object with the theory of kobolds visiting and looting objects from vault sites being picked up by elves but i think that would be super unlikely.

'In' the soil is weird and like others have suggested, sounds like some sort of cascading problem with materials being flunked up badly.

it showed up in veins and said "flashing metal wall" when i looked at it. and when mined it made boulders called "flashing metal", and smelting it into bars is impossible.
The war grizzly bear bites the Hammer Lord in the head, but the blow is deflected by the -iron helm-!
The war grizzly bear latches on firmly!
The war grizzly bear shakes the Hammer Lord around by the head and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Doren Delerilon, Hammer Lord, has been struck down.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2018, 10:13:56 pm »

i believe my save was corrupted, as i have made 10 or 11 other worlds since then and this has not happened since.

We all agree that something strange is going on in that save - that is precisely the reason to upload it!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2018, 11:04:39 pm »

Did you mess with your Raw files?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 02:23:33 am »

My suggestion? Reinstall.

Before someone gets the wrong end of the stick with this advice, DF is not a installed application and you should not have to reinstall anything. Akin to the advice given they may say re-extract from ZIP file that DF comes from into a new game-folder to use  or re-download a fresh copy from the site.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 12:44:54 pm »

it showed up in veins and said "flashing metal wall" when i looked at it. and when mined it made boulders called "flashing metal", and smelting it into bars is impossible.

Is there a way to designate those boulders as "melt"? If you can do that, set the melt metal object job at the smelter, and ride that train to crazytown.
Pages: 1 [2]