Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Tribes of the White Sea [5/5]  (Read 12364 times)

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes of the White Sea [5/5]
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2018, 08:23:24 am »

Namif thought about it for a short while. Doing this would likely start a powerful alliance, with a rich tribe and a strong tribe working together. And having a wife would mean his family would be secured a position of power among the Plefir, so long as he made sure to tutor any future son into a worthy leader. Of course this assumed that Namif would be successful in having a son at all, but he found that it was likely he would have a son. But who to marry to the chieftain of the other tribe? Hmm. Advisor Falra's daughter Frolda would do. She was kind and she loved learning about new things, while also being well versed in the art of fishing. Of course, he had one last question before he made up his mind. "Where tribe?" He places 8 of the longer pointed rocks on the ground next to each other in a circle, with the points facing outwards and points to them. "Show where tribe."
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2018, 08:38:00 am »

They indicate their tribe is to the north, where land meets sea.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2018, 08:52:55 am »

That was certainly useful. If they ever needed to fight the Lycians, they would be able to attack from two sides. And on the more trade-related side of things, they would provide a useful gateway of sorts into the northern world. He was happy with this deal. "Deal accept."
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2018, 10:30:55 am »

The emissaries bow down, exchange their goods and bid you farewell, all the while smiling politely.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2018, 10:43:38 am »

And so, the Plefir made their first successful trade deal.

Keep the silk in a tent where the silk can easily fit for now.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2019, 02:28:51 pm »

Sorry it took so long! Sadly can't provide any new heraldry or an update for the map as I still lack access to my PC

The Keepers of Nowhere

You manage to defeat the small party of Azan Amber tribesfolk. Most rout as their cover is turned in a sea of flames. Others succumb to the fire and harpoons. You manage to capture a single living warrior, a boy no older than 11. Yet despite his age, he refuses to tell you a single word. Sadly, your oldest son, Hadrian, has passed in the fighting at the age of 18. He died an honorable death, and is sure to rest with the gods.

The young great turtle accompanying your main settlement has grown into adulthood. The priests have determined that it is ready for the construction of a village.

Your younger son, Nero, would like to take leadership of this village, to prepare him for the rise to the throne.

Leader: Octavian Atlantis (46)
Wealth: 11
Army: 620
Resources: Adult Great Turtle (1), Jellyfish (6)
Research: Basic Turtle Guiding, Canooing, Cooking II
Buildings: Turtle Village (8x), Jellyfish Nets
Natural Features: Jellyfish Pools (1 Jellyfish/turn)

Spoiler: Research and Building (click to show/hide)

The Carazan

The burning of the medicinal herbs seems to have stabilized the condition of Forne. Though he is not capable of ruling, his condition hasn't deteriorated since. He has started speaking again, yet has trouble moving. Threia has continued her role as regent, executing her father's (reasonable) orders.

Your researchers have discovered a type of clam that produces vibrant silver stones, prevalent in areas where Tullyfish are likely to gather.

Leader: Forne Kio (59) (regn. Threia Forne)
Wealth: 14
Army: 570
Resources: Tullyfish (4),
Research: Sailing, Navigation
Buildings: Basic Temple to the Pantheon
Natural Features: Tullyfish Shoals (1 Tullyfish/Turn)

Plefir

The moon-worshipers welcome your emissaries with open arms. They guide your men to a woman who you understand to be their living goddess. She greets your men kindly.

Though your men have not been able to improve their mining skills, they have managed to unearth a beautiful deposit of black jade.

Back home, there are rumors of a serpentine dragon in the bountains, nesting at a peak.

Leader: Namif (24) (x Kalhilda the Aquamarine)
Wealth: 9
Army: 880
Resources: Iron (3), Cliff Silk (1), Rough Black Jade (1)
Research: Mining, Smelting, Prospecting
Buildings: Simple Barracks
Natural Features: Iron Mountains (1 Iron/turn)

Llychlyn

Birthing your child is agony. More agony than anyone could ever have described to you. You bled profusely, and though weakened, you survived.

The birth was not the worst part, however. What you birthed was horrifying. A young cougar, with claws of sharpened stone and spear-like horns has emerged from your womb. The midwives screamed as they saw it, yet no one can love a child like their mother. Though it screeches at all who come to visit, it respects you. Your followers have dubbed it "Llychan Awfyda", The Curse of the Barren Womb.

Some northern clans demand you burn the creature, lest they raise their flag in rebellion.

Your emmisaries have encountered the North Men, riding great predators. They have arrived at the dwelling of Lu MireIce

Leader: Ariella Cadigan (32)
Wealth: 9
Army: 760
Resources: Flax (6), Badger Furs (2), Live Wild Reindeer (1)
Research: Spinning (Cloth), Advanced Archery, Trapping
Buildings: Fanw Runestones, Hunter's Cabin
Natural Features: Flax Valley (1 Flax/turn)

Lycia

Men from the north and south have passed through your territories, yet all fear your steeds and bows. So too does the shattered remnants of the Lüdhma family-group now. Their warriors had come in the night, stolen your horses, burned your yurts, raped your daughters and pissed on your shrine to Lyndis. Yet they were no match to your veteran warriors. Three days and three nights, you and the women by your side, chased them. Now, the remains of their encampment lie before you. Their warriors dead, or castrated. Their yurts burnt. Their slaves taken as your own. Yet you wondered what to do with the free men and women you had captured. Sacrifice them? Take them as slaves? Each of your generalesses had their own cruel punishment, but it was up to you to decide.

Leader: Sacae Meadowrain
Wealth: 2
Army: 950
Resources: Horses (4), Venison (1)
Research: Mounts (Horses), Archery II
Buildings: Shrine to Lyndis
Natural Features: Wild Plains (1 Venison/turn)

The North Men

Rumors have reached you that a group of bears have started targetting your people and their dogs in the northernmost reaches of your lands. Though one on one a Behemoth Pyrenee should be able to defeat a bear, these groups make short work of one of your dogs.

Flabbergasted, you stand within your dwelling. Odd visitors have arrived. Where you first thought their ears were fake, decorative cuttings, you have realized they are real.

Leader: Lu MireIce (39)
Wealth: 7
Army: 780
Resources: Berries (4), Behemoth Pyrenees (2)
Research: Mounts (Behemoth Pyrenees), Preservation
Buildings: Volcanic Runestones
Natural Features: Berry Fields (1 Berries/turn)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2019, 03:31:15 pm »

Lycia

Sacae Meadowrain
What a waste. Thieves in the night, and for what...

"See to the women and children, and prepare for travel. We will set them to their own survival near one of the forests."

"Lady Lyndis would not want to see us become like these cowards."

250 are to travel across the north river bordering our lands and prepare a village for these folk to live in. {Expansion}

See to it the children receive a proper education on our ways. Perhaps some of them can join as a proud Lycian later on.

100 patrol the north border, 100 the south border, and 100 the east border.

100 will scout the lands to the east of us across the river.

That leaves 200 in reserve for center defenses and response.. Another 100 will travel north, scouting the area along Lyndis's Shield.{The central sea to our west.}

See to the Research of our Wild Plains. Now that we are no longer scattered, we can work toward a bright future. Watch over us, Lady Lyndis.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:27:32 pm by TricMagic »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2019, 03:46:59 pm »

Farming is not an available option for research as of now. You can either research available technologies or the resources/technologies you possess, in the hopes of discovering something new.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2019, 03:52:17 pm »

Can I research the Wild Plains? And is my option of having them form a village within our lands viable?

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2019, 04:05:00 pm »

How did my fostering good relations with the nearby family groups go?

Also, I just realized something brilliant. Since I don't actually have the technology to make proper mines, or the tools needed to create mines or dig out rocks, the Plefir miners are literally just people with rough rock spikes and spades and torches looking through the caves in the mountain for any special or shiny looking rocks and digging away at any dirt they find.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:15:22 pm by TankKit »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2019, 04:25:13 pm »

Can I research the Wild Plains? And is my option of having them form a village within our lands viable?
You could research it. The chance of discovering agriculture is unlikely to result from it, however.

As for the village, it's possible, but costly, and probably not beneficial. Sedentary settlements without agriculture or another stable source of food are veru unlikely, especially as you have horses who need large areas to graze.

Addition:
How did my fostering good relations with the nearby family groups go?

Also, I just realized something brilliant. Since I don't actually have the technology to make proper mines, or the tools needed to create mines or dig out rocks, the Plefir miners are literally just people with rough rock spikes and spades and torches looking through the caves in the mountain for any special or shiny looking rocks and digging away at any dirt they find.
Your scouts have returned with much good to say! Family groups all over have given you trinkets and goods, but most importantly: Stories. They speak of many new Gods, legends and heroes. They also bring news: apparently, the Horse-tribe has had some internal raids going on. Rumor has it that Friht has brokered an alliance with a tribe in the north and sworn allegiance to them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:31:42 pm by Lord_lemonpie »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2019, 04:54:28 pm »

That should do. More land it shall be I guess.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2019, 06:00:03 pm »

The Carazan –

"You cannot!" Forne's voice was still weak, yet insistent.

"I believe I must." His stubbornness had little effect on Threia.

"I forbid it. It's not right."

"Oh, Father," Threia said gently. "What could go wrong? Our women warriors have already traveled on our ships with no ill effect."

"Fishing is too dangerous. It's unheard of. It's just not right."

"Will you feel better if I promise not to harpoon any tullyfish while I'm out there? I certainly have no intention of reaching over the side where a shark could attack me." The old man harrumphed at his daughter's levity. She adopted a more serious tone: "But still, all our legends and stories of the gods are about the sea. How can I ever be a leader to our people if I never see or taste the wave-paths for myself? Our sailors and our fisherman travel widely and I have barely any knowledge of what orders to give." Amusement crept into her voice again. "And besides, with your willful daughter out of the way, perhaps the other elders will listen to you again instead of looking to me to confirm everything you say."

"You don't understand. You just can't go. I've already told you all about the gods there is to know."

"Father, I know you love me. But you cannot cling to me forever. Even Obali was persuaded to let Junae climb to the heavens."

A silent minute stretched out in the otherwise empty house, Forne's older daughter Yama having shooed the rest of the family away prior to the argument. Forne turned his face away, trying to hide his tears. At long last, voice breaking, he acquiesced, "Come back to me."

"Of course, Father," his daughter replied. She would have bent down to kiss his forehead, but his crying made the moment too awkward for her. So she simply departed.

After Threia had gone, Forne whispered, "I am so very proud of you."

Note on the lore: between various details suggested by Lord_lemonpie's and Glass's contributions, I think the Tullyfish must be a sizable game fish (~ 4 to 4.5 m full grown?) typically harvested by harpoon (which becomes our most familiar weapon also used on land). Of course that sort of thing draws the attention of sharks and other predators, and if pursued as a career will lead to a multitude of scars and injuries in the wary and death for the unwary.

Build fishing boats (-3 Wealth). Threia Forne is taking a trip out to the eastern Tullyfish Shoals; the journey is part observation to personally learn more about the operation of Carazan fishing ships, and also part pilgrimage to connect with what she perceives to be the tribe's spiritual roots in the sea.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:19:15 am by mightymushroom »

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2019, 06:35:37 am »

Ariella was expecting her birth to be one that was unnatural, but she expected something that still looked like she did, not an animal. Still, the whole experience was full of surprises, but not as much as the one she got recently. The northern Clans talking about revolting due to the creature she had birthed was something that obviously made her displeased, though after getting over the shock of learning such news, she tried to keep a level head, it was somewhat understandable to her, to them they wasted food only for some abomination to be birthed by their leader. Of course, she didn't see her child as an abomination, and trying to think of what they thought didn't change how she felt about the fact that the northern clans were actually genuinely considering a revolt. She would have to try and open a dialog between them and her, along with consult the priests about the creature. Hopefully they would confirm if her beliefs that it was from Fanw were true, and if they didn't and instead proved such a theory as wrong, then at least she would know somewhat more where to stand on this issue, though it really felt wrong to even think about doing anything to her child. Though this chain of events did explain to her something important at least, those dreams of slaughter that she had during the pregnancy and their meaning were answered to her. It seemed that Llychan Awfyda, as others called them, was not exactly the best around others but presumably simply protested their presence instead of doing anything about it because they knew that she would very much be displeased if they did attack the people around her. If she allowed anyone to do such a terrible thing as to kill her child, it would, rightfully so, lose any care and respect for her and possibly even resent her. Without any kind of control or restraint on its part, its quite clear that it could become a nightmare for her people and haunt her for the rest of her life...

If the priests confirmed it wasn't from Fanw, and the talks with the northern clans simply ended with them telling her to get rid of it or else, if she had to do anything to her child, she would simply try to take it far, far away from Llychlyn rather than burn it or try any other kind of attempt to harm it. Not only for the sake of protecting her people and hopefully preventing it from being a bane to Llychlyn, but also to prevent her from actually having to kill her child. Hopefully despite her child's age, they could understand her, and she could explain her reasoning and her regret over the situation, but even if not they would hopefully enjoy a new home in a forest or mountain far away if it came to that. Of course, this was if there was a worse case scenario. Hopefully, the dialog between her and the clans up north would end well and the priests confirm that her child was a gift from the goddess, but even so, hopes are just that, hopes, and one must remain prepared for the worst, even if they are confident in success. Additionally, this made her realize another thing, she was going to need a husband sometime soon, as while likely the eldest of any future children, her current only child likely wouldn't exactly be eligible for the line of succession...though such thoughts might be best kept for another time, a better one.

Of course, being a ruler, she couldn't just focus on only one thing, and the simplest way to make more people happy was more food and goods, and considering how there was already a good deal of hunting going more efficiently thanks to the construction of the hunters cabin, the focus should be directed elsewhere, specifically to the flax. A few people in charge of the flax apparently knew a way to harvest and grow it easier than letting it do its own thing in the fields, and whether or not the rumors were true, she was going to send out a few people to ask and learn, or in the case of the rumors not being true, figuring out how to better control and increase the creation and collection of flax. She wasn't too focused on it, but with extra food, both from hunting and the flax, along with more clothing and cloths made with the flax, the minor clans and general populous would likely be quite pleased with such an abundance, which would be helpful in almost any situation that arises.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2019, 11:09:45 am »

And interesting year for Namif. Friht had apparently headed north after leaving the tribe and had allied himself with a northern alliance, which was quite troublesome. The emissary to the Moon-worshipers had yet to return, though he was confident they would. There were rumours of a dragon high in the mountains too, and the recently named Horse-tribe was apparently having internal issues. More recently, the miners had found a deposit of a strange new black rock and the internal situation of the Plefir remained mostly stable, though there was still some lingering animosity from those who weren't happy with the the union of the tribes. Finally, good relations were being fostered with the nearby family groups and the large influx of goods allowed the smithy, a design proposed by the first Great Chieftain himself, to be built. Stones would be painstakingly cut to a rectangular shape with other tools and placed together along with the other materials necessary for the smithy's construction and, finally, the Plefir iron would become ascendant.

(Basically the Plefir really really like the idea of the sword, and it has been a long term goal of the tribe to finally find a way to 'ascend' their rough iron weapons and tools to be much better than they currently are. Of course, this current golden age of all five tribes being united is the first time they've ever had anywhere near enough money to make a smithy, so they're pretty happy about it.)

Build Smithy. I really don't need to explain this more, do I?

The emissaries will spend the year, or however long the God-Queen allows, learning as much about them as they can while also doing their best to teach the moon-worshipers about the Plefir. They'll also see what the Moon-Worshipers have to trade. Information is everything, and trade is very important.

Continue fostering good relations with the nearby family groups, also giving those who wish the option to integrate into the Plefir. Same reasoning as before. Peaceful takeover is  better than a brutal takeover as far as Namif's concerned.

Have 100 men scout each direction. 100 men North, 100 men North-East, so on and so forth. This will take up 800 warriors in total. For the Plefir to grow they must learn more about their surroundings. If they don't, they leave themselves far to vulnerable for comfort. Some might say that sending away so many warriors also leaves the Plefir vulnerable, but it's better that a lot of scouting is done in one big swoop with one vulnerable moment than a small vulnerability that stays with the Plefir for years on end.

Once the tribe that Friht married into is found, send an emissary with 4 guards to ask and, if that doesn't work, demand that Friht and his family is handed over to the Plefir to be executed for the safety of the Plefir. If it's those guys we made an alliance with, implore them to think about the far more important alliance between them and us instead of the far worse alliance between them and Friht. We simply can't leave such an obvious threat to fester and grow. It needs to be eliminated before it's too late.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7