Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Tribes of the White Sea [5/5]  (Read 12286 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Tribes of the White Sea [5/5]
« on: December 15, 2018, 03:15:16 pm »

For Aeons untold, humanity has been divided. Living like nomads, traveling in family-groups. From the icy wastes of Ygran-Dur to the arid dunes of Chkachkala. The entire world is now the domain of humanity, one of the most powerful creatures to ever grace this world. Yet, a great change is upon them. For no longer do small groups aimlessly trek around. Around the valleys and mountains of the White Sea, unification has taken place. Five great chieftains have paved the way for humanity. Yet with unity comes discord. Where hunters once sparred, armies now stand face to face. For the age of Nomads has ended. And the age of Tribes has just begun.

Welcome, Chieftain, to the Tribes of the White Sea

Tribes of the White Sea is an RPG where you take on the role of a chieftain and his tribe. It's a game about developing, expanding, and possibly, collapse. Will your tribe develop into a democracy of seashell traders, or will your chieftain lay the foundations of a sprawling tyranny? All of it is up to you.

Game rules and mechanics:

Spoiler: Wealth and Army (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Research and Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lore and Interaction (click to show/hide)

So, read everything and want to sign up for this game? Feel free to sign up.

Code: [Select]
[b]Name of Tribe:[/b]
[b]Colour:[/b]
[b]Name of Ruler:[/b]
[b]Starting Resource:[/b]
[b]Main Diety:[/b]
[b]Lore:[/b]
Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)

I'll only be accepting 5 new tribes for now. If I, however, find that the game is easy enough to run with 5 players, I'll allow people to claim some NPC tribes. If you desire, I'd be fine with you claiming lore characters within an existing tribe, just for RP purposes (which might in turn become mechanical), but I don't think that idea would take off.

If I think something in the sheet is too OP, such as Dragons or Muskets as your Starting Resource, I'll nerf it to something similar yet more appropriate.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:49:13 pm by Lord_lemonpie »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes of the White Sea [0/5?]
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 03:15:53 pm »

Heraldry:

PC
The Reach: Sanguine a spider argent holding a coin or
The worshipers of the spider-god Cu, wealthy through their trade of silk.

The Keepers of Nowhere: Bleu-céleste a turtle vert
Nomads of the seas, traveling on the backs of gargantuan turtles.

Carazan: Azure a cross interrupted or under a circle bleu-céleste
Seafaring traders and navigators, renowned for their tasty tullyfish

The Plefir: Party per chevron bleu-céleste dexter a sun or and sinister a moon or, a mountain cendrée peaked argent
Mountainous metalsmiths with a sizeable army.

Llychlyn: Vert a wolf's skull argent
Forest-dwelling huntsmen, with a love for wolves and flax.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:03:27 pm by Lord_lemonpie »
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 03:40:37 pm »

Name of Tribe: The Reach
Colour: Maroon
Name of Ruler: Arkiston
Starting Resource: There are legends of giant spider caves in these hills. And to outsiders, they are just that. To us, however, the web of a giant spider marks death, and glory. It is the most sought-after thing this side of the Mashintok River, and stronger then anything we have found. Just enough for a shirt can give a life of luxury to you and your family.
Main Diety: Cu, God of Spiders, Espionage, and Connections.
Lore: They were part of a greater tribe, who's chieftain had died. He left no heirs, nor a wife, which left a power vacuum that was pulling the tribe apart. One of the higher-standing tribesmen decided that their god must be false if this had been allowed to happen. He gathered a group of like-minded individuals, and set off for a new beginning. Cu witnessed this finesse, with how easily he pulled them into the Web, and was interested. He watched, and satisfied with their performance, became their Patron god. Several generations later, Arkiston took up the mantle of chieftain, ready to make his parents proud.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 03:58:08 pm »

Claiming a spot while I make my sheet, just to make sure I do get a chance to take part.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 04:13:26 pm »

Putting an incomplete sheet here for later, because I’ll be on a plane soon.

Name of Tribe: the Keepers of Nowhere
Colour: Cyan
Name of Ruler: Octavian Atlantis
Starting Resource: Island turtles (giant turtles, large enough to build a small village on, docile enough to be tamed, and yes, they live in the oceans)
Main Diety: Acter Nobody, god of Improvement and the Moon
Lore: [to be made more coherent later]
-Still nomadic, but now more organized
—Each turtle-village elects leader, village leaders elect chieftain
-Tend to stay near the shore, but will move out to sea for hunting or inland to look for resources and treasures.
-Prefer to trade with others rather than attack
-Most weapons are made for hunting, and are ranged; largely made of bone. Animal fats are sometimes used to set projectiles on fire.
-Cultivate seaweeds and algaes growing on the undersides of the turtles for food, and often have fishing lines trailing behind them (this practice is known as trolling, and any further references to this practice will refer to it in that manner)
-Clergy of Acter largely focuses on education and research, seeing the discovery and dissemination of knowledge as the best way to serve their god; techniques to tell location based on the day of the year and the position of the moon are considered one of their greatest achievements, sometimes attributed to the intervention of Acter himself.
—Generally known as Scholar-Clergy, individually called scholar-priests
—Tend to adopt additional gods from the cultures they encounter, and have no issue with having multiple gods sharing a sphere
-Don’t have “territory” so much as “migration paths” and “trade routes”
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:25:07 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 04:13:57 pm »

Reserving a spot before someone else nicks it, just in case...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:50:07 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 04:44:21 pm »

Name of Tribe: Carazan
Colour: Gold
Name of Ruler: Forne Kio, retired fisherman and almost-accidental revered elder statesman (family to be elaborated in future postings?)
Starting Resource: Tullyfish: a highly nutritious (and somewhat extra salty) species easily preserved by drying when not enjoyed fresh
Main Deity: Obali, aka Father Sea, god of tides and fortune and probably many other cyclic things more generally but those are the two we worry about right now

Lore: Our defining moment is perhaps the day in the receding past when Gyph, the Thundering Mountain, first shook the sea. We did not live then as we live now; the families were small and villages nonexistent. Everything a man or woman owned was carried on their back or in their small-boat as they traveled from beach to beach, picking apart what they found there as the shorebirds do. But in a single day the land trembled as leaves in a storm, and Sozhia the Mother Sky hid herself in fright, and even the waters of the ocean were surprised enough to leap out of their long-accustomed places. Though our families were smaller, uncountable numbers perished: it was the most terrible day any people has felt from the beginning of the world until today. And those who remained afterward were divided: those who were, understandably, afraid and lost their faith in Obali's providence and ran away to distant beaches; or those who understood that in every curse is a blessing and in every blessing a loss not yet happened. And these, our ancestors, bravely set out in their little boats to sail right toward Gyph, the Thundering Mountain. And Obali rewarded them by revealing the sea-path to the great shoals beyond where all manner of sea life dwell, and best among them the immense schools of Tullyfish. Fed by this bounty, no longer must we wander and scavenge, and though each generation has its trials or storms or shaking, yet we increase in number and wealth.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:52:08 pm by mightymushroom »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 04:44:44 pm »

Spoiler: The Plefir Tribe (click to show/hide)
Got slightly carried away with the lore, sorry if that's too much. Also, we now have all 5 spots filled, sweet. Now we wait on piratejoe.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:53:28 pm by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 04:49:00 pm »

Nice to see this getting filled up so soon! Working on some excel sheets, heraldry and the map before everything gets started. I'll post an update as soon as piratejoe has submitted his sheet and I've got all the administration fixed.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes of the White Sea [5/5]
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 04:50:46 pm »

I edited my post with the sheet. I was planning on doing a bit more lore after I saw Tankkits sheet, but I didn't want to keep everyone waiting.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 04:52:25 pm »

Heh, I'm far from done with the lore, as you can see with the list of future things I want to add, I just really need to go to sleep soon. I'm tired.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:55:39 pm by TankKit »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 04:57:01 pm »

I'm glad I stopped and posted when I did, but of course there's more. For instance, first thing I though reading Glass's entry was heretics! We are quite certain the moon is a daughter of sea and sky.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 05:00:15 pm »

Hehehehe, the different religions and cultures clashing is going to be fuuuuuuun.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 07:12:45 pm »

I'm glad I stopped and posted when I did, but of course there's more. For instance, first thing I though reading Glass's entry was heretics! We are quite certain the moon is a daughter of sea and sky.
I quite assure you, Acter is relatively tangentially connected to the moon, and defers judgement on the topic to those who are more decisive on the topic.

Also of note: if you try to attack us we’ll just stop visiting you.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:24:36 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 03:48:41 am »

Spoiler: The World (click to show/hide)

The Reach

For generations now, your family has venerated the Great Cu. Generations of toiling, spinning and weaving. And now, they've paid off. Cliff Silk brought in immense profits, resulting in your eventual rise to power. Now, you sit perched atop your mahogany throne, overlooking the White Sea.

Leader: Chieftain Arkiston (34)
Wealth: 13
Army: 500
Resources: Cliff Silk (2)
Research: Spinning (Silk), Weaving
Buildings: Basic Temple of Cu
Natural Features: Spider Cliffs (1 Cliff Silk/turn)

Before you stand two girls, and their families. Kalhilda "the Aquamarine" and Frihnya Frihtsdaughter. Kalhilda comes from a family of wealthy traders. Frihnya is the daughter of a chieftain of a small new tribe, who brings experienced soldiers with them. Both their fathers are trying to sell of their daughters as your wife, like marketfolk would.

Who do you choose?

Spoiler: Research and Building (click to show/hide)

The Keepers of Nowhere

The sun is setting on the glistening waves of the White Sea. As your village, Nowhere Prime, makes its way along the shores. On the horizon, you can see the village of Oa'anu, one of the seven other turtle-towns under your domain, slowly swimming past. Their turtle has chosen a greater distance from the shoreline, to feed on the gargantuan jellyfish there. You walk in peace as you notice fathers learning their children the art of Trolling. Maybe you should teach it to one of your sons as well.

Leader: Octavian Atlantis (43)
Wealth: 7
Army: 600
Resources: Great Turtle (1), Jellyfish (3)
Research: Basic Turtle Guiding, Canooing
Buildings: Turtle Village (8x)
Natural Features: Jellyfish Pools (1 Jellyfish/turn)

In recent times, you have found it necessary to build some coastal outpost, solidifying your rule in between the migratory routes of your turtles. Rumor has it, that the outpost of Ata'una has been overrun by another tribe, and you have not received reports of any sort from the outpost.

What will you do?

Carazan

Your bones ache as you sit on your modest throne. The wise elders of Carazan are discussing once again, and as usual, you are the one tasked with appeasing all of them. You sigh, as you resign yourself to your position and start moderating the debate.

Leader: Forne Kio (57)
Wealth: 11
Army: 550
Resources: Tullyfish (3)
Research: Sailing, Navigation
Buildings: Basic Temple to the Pantheon
Natural Features: Tullyfish Shoals (1 Tullyfish/Turn)

The elders are debating the succession. The Priests support your oldest son, Aranar, a quiet young man. The Nobles support the youngest, frivolous little Ithian. The soldiers wish one of their own would be the next chieftain, pointing at your daughter Threia, whose skill with the harpoon is unmatched.

How will you respond?

The Plefir

A cold breeze wafts through your wooden citadel in the mountains. It doesn't phase you, as you are used to the cold. Living in the mountains has never been easy, but your people do so with unmatched efficiency. Your guards open the door, letting in the shaking foreign emissary.

Leader: Namif (22)
Wealth: 5
Army: 800
Resources: Iron (1)
Research: Mining, Smelting
Buildings: Simple Barracks
Natural Features: Iron Mountains (1 Iron/turn)

The emissary seems to be shaking from the freezing winds outside. Not everyone is made to withstand blizzards like your people are. He is wearing a thin cloak of white silk, decorated with varying patterns of embroidery. Classic mistake, fancy clothing in weather like this. He speaks of foreign peoples and spider-gods, though without a proper translator, you have major trouble understanding the man.

How will you respond?

Llychlyn

From the western banks of the Awynn river to the eastern banks of Fanw's Rapids your domain spreads. Yet where much of it is forest, the valley of Wyllt Gwyllt is a shining gem of land. Forests filled with fruit bearing trees, herds of fattened deer and fields upon fields of precious flax. As you overlook the lowlands, surrounded by forested hills and mountains, you are glad to call this land your home.

Leader: Ariella Cadigan (30)
Wealth: 8
Army: 700
Resources: Flax (4), Badger Furs (1)
Research: Spinning (Cloth), Advanced Archery
Buildings: Fanw Runestones
Natural Features: Flax Valley (1 Flax/turn)

The high priests say that Fanw has demanded a sacrifice of 20 deer. Most of your clans, however, object, stating that it would be a waste of precious food in the winter.

Who will you appease?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7