Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Duplicating RAWS without crashing  (Read 2366 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Duplicating RAWS without crashing
« on: December 17, 2018, 06:59:11 pm »

Whenever I dupe any raw files or entries, DF crashes on embark/adventure mode "embark."
Have any of you duplicated raws and been able to start as an adventurer or fortress? Which raws?

I can't watch the insanity if DF crashes...

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duplicating RAWS without crashing
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 07:22:48 pm »

Idk quite understand what you mean by duplicated the raws.. just made a copy of a file and kept it there like that?

How about checking the error log? So long as you rename each creature(in your duplicated raw) just by adding say 1 to their name they'd be a new creature, you'd probably have to do the same in the graphics folder (making sure you don't create "graphics" for a non existing creature.(I forget if that is an issue however)

I've never had it crash on embark when creating a new mod(or have I :o.. it's been awhile, anyways I certainly remember some failures but they were easily fixed(the error log usually tells you the issue to look at) )

If you're looking for ways to dupe creatures or entities I suggest downloading Mephs graphic pack. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161047.0 He has quite a few new races added (you can enable them if you wish to, otherwise they don't exist) Winmerge or such programs can help you compare texts.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 02:27:41 am »

Yeah im confused like LeoCean is, copy pasting the same entries without making meaningful adjustments can cause cascades which can completely mess up your RAWS

Alternatively you might be mixing incompatible code together, General (military) positions with [CHAT_WORTHY] and [RESPONSIBILITY:RELIGION] when applied to your own civilisation causes crashes, if this was a problem of mix-matching code.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 01:14:11 pm »

I think OP understands the consequences of raw duping, he's asking if anyone has found a stable combination so he can play in a crazy broken world.

I don't have any stable broken worlds to donate, but I guess you could look through DFFD's bugged save section. Personally though, I'd recommend just installing a bunch of mods simultaneously for a similarly bizarre setting like MottledPetal does here.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 10:33:01 am »

most stable way by far is to prepend creature_amphibian with more TOAD entries, which will also cause universal duping for creatures