Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A mobile text game inspired by Dwarf Fortress adventure mode  (Read 3921 times)

filiph

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • filiph.net

Hi,

I've been working on versions of this game since about 2009 — and now it's out. At Roguelike Celebration 2019, I was able to show it to Tarn. He was extremely nice, and seemed to really enjoy the combat.

I started working on the game before I knew about DF, but the way DF simulates each individual body part and therefore leads to more literary combat* was a big inspiration in the latter years. (Just to be clear, making the game is not my full time job, and I'm slow and lazy. So don't expect miracles.)

*) Compare "goblin takes 8 points of damage" with "I chop off the goblin's hand".

The game is called Knights of San Francisco and it's $2.99 on iOS and Android. If nothing else, you might enjoy the trailer, which is kind of a micro-dfstory.

Lawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A mobile text game inspired by Dwarf Fortress adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 05:49:35 am »

Looks good for a start

Gunroar:Cannon()

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A mobile text game inspired by Dwarf Fortress adventure mode
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 01:30:19 am »

Hi,

I've been working on versions of this game since about 2009 — and now it's out. At Roguelike Celebration 2019, I was able to show it to Tarn. He was extremely nice, and seemed to really enjoy the combat.
Looks really good! And nice work implementing the battle system. I wonder how open world it is...? Like whether you "move" around anywhere you want to or there's a linead story?
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

tweet...