Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Automata Civilization [50.xx][Steam only, for now]  (Read 1037 times)

CitrusTree99

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Automata Civilization [50.xx][Steam only, for now]
« on: June 07, 2023, 11:10:02 am »

Hi everyone! I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for ages but I haven't really interacted with the forums at all over the past 6 years or so I've played the game on and off. Recently, after buying the steam release of the game, I decided I might as well make a mod for it. I really love robots and automatons so I said to myself, why not add them to the game as a playable civ? So that's how Automata came into existence as a mod!

Features
  • A whole new creature and civilization of robots to play with. They're robust and made of living copper, which can heal albeit slowly.
  • New graphics for them including all sorts of weird heads! Soon to be completely redone too, so stay tuned.
  • A new pet creature known as a Tomoid, little vermin hunting robots that you can select on embark.
  • Unique government rank names such as deathsmen, who are tasked with executions. Or The Serene One, the leading monarch of Automata civilization.
  • New weapons! Use an arquebus to eliminate enemies from afar or a sabre to cut them down to pieces.
  • More to come, feel free to request any features!

Links
For now the mod is only available for the steam version of the game, and can be downloaded through the Steam workshop here:

Steam Workshop Link

However, I can easily upload the mod to an alternative location for those who do not own a steam version of the game (itch.io owners, for example) on request. I haven't tried the mod in classic 50.08, but I'm looking into making it work on classic as we speak. Shouldn't be too hard so stay tuned for a classic version soontm. Of course, do feel free to modify the mod as you please for personal use in Classic 50.xx if you so desire in the meantime.

Lore
A civilization of mechanical beings fueled by magic and made of an inorganic yet mysterious material known as Living Copper. These creatures of unknown origin have begun to group together and create a new, robotic civilization. They're thrifty, hardworking and entirely devoid of humor.
Spoiler: Lore Information (click to show/hide)
Really the concept is quite simple. Magic-fueled robots made of even more magical, healing copper.

Other Important Information

There are however a few things that aren't directly related to the lore and I consider important information:
Spoiler: Other Information (click to show/hide)

Credits & Thanks

Thanks to RocketShep, whose Hobgoblin mod I dissected with great care to see why my own mod wasn't working right.

Thanks and credits to my friend Velo, who made the amazing Steam Workshop thumbnail image! You can find its Tumblr here: https://cybertek.tumblr.com/

Contact me

Well that's the end of it for now. If you desire to contact me you can either leave a comment in this thread or, if you want a faster response, send me a DM through Discord. My discord username is CitrusTree#7570.