Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod(630 animals)[50.xx]  (Read 48642 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod(630 animals)[50.xx]
« on: December 25, 2018, 12:00:29 am »

In a time before time...

This mod adds dinosaurs and other extinct animals to the game. These animals can either replace the normal surface animals or exist alongside them.

Features:
Several hundred new extinct animals.

You get to fight and/or train dinosaurs.

To make it easier to deal with all the new creatures this adds, I've included a short .txt guide with the downloads. It lists quick summaries of what to expect when encountering any of the new animals, such as which ones are particularly dangerous.

I've added a personal suffix to every file, so this should easily combine with any other mod. If you find one that doesn't work with it, please let me know so I can fix it.

For modders, every animal in the mod is attached to one of a few creature variations. These currently do nothing, but they allow for tokens to be easily added to every creature in the mod.

Optional werebeasts and animal men are included in a separate folder from the real animals.

A complete tile pack bundled with the download in an optional folder allows the dinosaurs to be used with any 32x, TWBT tileset.

Downloads:

Steam workshop.
Alternate download.

Legacy:
47.05 Main version. This replaces almost all the vanilla surface animals with prehistoric creatures.
47.05 Modular version. This only includes the modded raws, so you can more easily add it into a vanilla or otherwise modded game.

Feedback and bug reports are greatly appreciated.

Feel free to use any and all parts of this mod in your own mods.

Spoiler: Installation guide (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Installing graphics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 10:51:25 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod (477 animals) [44.12]
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 06:14:19 am »

More Dinosaur mods! What a glorious time to be alive!

I've got one suggestion to give, however. Add [CREATURE_CLASS:EXTINCT] to all creatures to make the pet-keeping Neanderthals of Scourge's extinct creatures mod use the ones from this one too when the two are used in conjunction.
More creature classes like DINOSAUR, BIRD and INSECT could of course be added as well for more possible mod synergies, but I don't know any mods that use ones like that (the exception being vanilla kobolds) at the moment, so it should be fine not including them.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 09:50:26 am »

That seems like a good idea, I'll see what Scourge thinks.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 09:51:57 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 10:33:18 am »

Well this... is a lot more than my mod.... and I would in fact be okay with the tag being added

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 11:44:55 am »

I love the [PREFSTRING:artistic skill] on Stokesosaurus. Fine reference if I've ever seen one.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 12:11:00 pm »

But are some dinosaurs feathered? Gotta ask the important questions.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 01:09:49 pm »

Well this... is a lot more than my mod.... and I would in fact be okay with the tag being added

Thanks, I'll add the tag then as soon as I get a chance.

I love the [PREFSTRING:artistic skill] on Stokesosaurus. Fine reference if I've ever seen one.

"Zookeeper 5 can't reach the Meat Trough!"

But are some dinosaurs feathered? Gotta ask the important questions.

Yes. I tried to make everything fairly accurate. In particular, all dromaeosaurs are feathered.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 01:22:05 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 02:13:57 pm »

This mod looks amazing. Thank you so much for making it, trying it out as I type this! :D
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 02:26:37 pm »

Yes. I tried to make everything fairly accurate. In particular, all dromaeosaurs are feathered.
Sweet. I'll throw this into my unholy mix of mods when I next play.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 02:35:11 pm »

Lmfao just dropped an Australopithecus adventurer into a freshly-generated world and almost immediately an Allosaurus took her spear and started stabbing her with it! Proof that pronated hands are overrated. :P
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 02:36:46 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 01:06:34 am »

This mod looks amazing. Thank you so much for making it, trying it out as I type this! :D
Sweet. I'll throw this into my unholy mix of mods when I next play.

Thank you very much for the nice comments!

Lmfao just dropped an Australopithecus adventurer into a freshly-generated world and almost immediately an Allosaurus took her spear and started stabbing her with it! Proof that pronated hands are overrated. :P

Now I know how that one Sony "Giant Enemy Crab" spokesman felt. (More seriously, I didn't prevent dinosaurs from potentially grabbing weapons since I figured that if in Dwarf Fortress giant bats and scorpions could do it, a dinosaur probably could as well.)

Also, I have added the tag using the creature variations as a quick measure. I should do it more properly later, but it works now.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 02:46:24 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 12:03:47 pm »

If you have any animal men versions, make sure to add [CREATURE_CLASS:ANIMALMAN] to them to prevent my neanderthals from enslaving the animal men versions, unless you want that I guess :P

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 12:11:23 pm »

If you have any animal men versions, make sure to add [CREATURE_CLASS:ANIMALMAN] to them to prevent my neanderthals from enslaving the animal men versions, unless you want that I guess :P

I don't have any animal men (unless you count Australopithecus), but I have considered making some as an optional download at some point. I'll keep that in mind if I do.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 12:13:23 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

I've released an update for the mod.

First, there are 23 new animals to bring the mod up to a round 500 creatures. Most of these aren't dinosaurs, to go with the other noticeable change.
Spoiler: New animals (click to show/hide)

Second, the Temperate Shrubland biome has been repurposed. It is now used for certain unusual extinct wildlife such as Australian and New Zealand creatures, specialized island animals, recent extinctions, and other things that I didn't want to put with the dinosaurs or cold biomes.

I've also added Scourge's EXTINCT class to all the appropriate animals, so if you use our mods together his neanderthals will be provided with this mods creatures.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 06:09:37 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod(500 animals)[44.12]
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 10:26:34 am »

This is amazing. I wish I could come up with nice 32x sprites for all of those. Would be so much fun, especially once mounts work... with dwarves riding a Trex. :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8