Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod(630 animals)[50.xx]  (Read 48638 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod(500 animals)[44.12]
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 04:17:14 pm »

This is amazing. I wish I could come up with nice 32x sprites for all of those. Would be so much fun, especially once mounts work... with dwarves riding a Trex. :D

Thanks! I've been looking forward to mounts too, riding a Utahraptor through a bandit fort sounds fun. I've thought about making a tileset too, only thing really holding me back is that I don't really know how to make tilesets. Or install tilesets. Or draw. I did have a couple questions about those, though.

Could the dinosaur unit graphics from that one Civ 2 scenario be converted to work as Dwarf Fortress tiles? Here's some examples of what they look like, if it helps. There's not nearly enough to match every creature, of course. However, I figured that since most dinosaurs are the same basic shape, relatively minor edits could be used to expand the roster heavily. Also, if I ever get around to trying to make a tileset for this, would you mind if I based it on yours?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 09:46:15 am »

Seems a bit weird to have creatures named after real-world locations or people in the DF universe. What's an American cheetah when there's no America?

Have you considered separating time periods by restricting species to particular biomes? Desert could be Triassic, dry conifer forests Jurassic, and moist conifer forests Cretaceous... Various plains could represent different periods in the post-dinosaur era, and ice age species could live in the tundra. Maybe some marshes or swamps could host species from the Permian and Carboniferous...

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 11:17:29 am »

Seems a bit weird to have creatures named after real-world locations or people in the DF universe. What's an American cheetah when there's no America?

What about:
Haast's eagle => Grapnel Eagle (from its former genus name, referring to its talons)
Pyrenean ibex => Bucardo/Herc (Spanish resp. Catalonian names) alt. Bucardo Ibex/Herc Ibex if you want to make it redundant but more transparent to the player.
American cheetah => Miracinonyx (genus name)
Sicilian dwarf elephant => Dwarf elephant

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 11:55:57 am »

Have you considered separating time periods by restricting species to particular biomes? Desert could be Triassic, dry conifer forests Jurassic, and moist conifer forests Cretaceous... Various plains could represent different periods in the post-dinosaur era, and ice age species could live in the tundra. Maybe some marshes or swamps could host species from the Permian and Carboniferous...

On the first point, yeah, that seems like an inherent issue with the premise. However, I wanted to avoid the Land Before Time/D&D trope of calling them things like Long Necks or Fleshrakers. I also wanted to ensure that each animal would respond well to a Google search, while using the most recognizable names wherever possible. It is weird to see them called by impossible names like American Cheetah, Germanodactylus, or Argentinosaurus, but I figure that in-universe the various races probably have their own words for the creatures.

I like the idea of associating the time periods with biomes. The biggest reason I went with the current version, of trying my best to match the dinosaur's appropriate habitats even if it puts them together anachronistically, is that certain animals are strongly associated with biomes outside what should be "normal" for their time. Like Velociraptor and its "neighbors" living in the desert. Maybe I'll change it if that's what people want, though.

Haast's eagle => Grapnel Eagle (from its former genus name, referring to its talons)
Pyrenean ibex => Bucardo/Herc (Spanish resp. Catalonian names) alt. Bucardo Ibex/Herc Ibex if you want to make it redundant but more transparent to the player.
American cheetah => Miracinonyx (genus name)
Sicilian dwarf elephant => Dwarf elephant

I might use some of these, thanks.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 02:58:24 pm »

You could also call it the Poukai, the mythological bird based on it.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 03:36:42 pm »

You could also call it the Poukai, the mythological bird based on it.

That's a good idea, if I change it I'll use that.
My mods and forum games.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 06:06:13 pm »

I had a look at the sprites you linked to... you can kinda use them. It's still only a few and would be a lot of work to assign them to the fitting units.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 11:22:41 pm »

I had a look at the sprites you linked to... you can kinda use them. It's still only a few and would be a lot of work to assign them to the fitting units.

Thanks.
My mods and forum games.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 01:57:11 am »

Nice. I'm gonna have to look into this to see how to make my own dinosaurs. both for if i ever return to Magic the Gathering based mods, and for my scraps mod, where i was thinking about populating the jungles and tundras with more great, dangerous, ancient beasts.

Edit: Yeah, I'm copying and renaming your framework (Your dinos are amazing, but for what i want to do, with my scraps mod i wanna modify them), and taking all your work, and altering it. You have credit, even though hopefully, these dinos should be distinct enough. :3  that plus im not working with the full variety; I  only need to work with a few "basics" to get this bit of my project done. I hope for your blessing with this. Its just easier to work with premade assets than to make new assets when you have an idea involving dinosaurs
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 06:00:51 am by Kyubee »
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 02:39:37 pm »

No problem, thanks for letting me know. You can do whatever you like with the animals. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with them.
My mods and forum games.

Bad_Goblin

• Bay Watcher
  • Ergh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 11:20:33 pm »

This is amazing. I wish I could come up with nice 32x sprites for all of those. Would be so much fun, especially once mounts work... with dwarves riding a Trex. :D
PLEASE DO I'd love some support for this mod in your tileset.

Also Enemy, this is amazing! I'll have to hit you with some new animal ideas after I play around with this for a while. 8)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 02:00:16 pm »

PLEASE DO I'd love some support for this mod in your tileset.

Also Enemy, this is amazing! I'll have to hit you with some new animal ideas after I play around with this for a while. 8)

Thanks for the comment! I should really try and figure out how tilesets work so I can apply those Civ 2 sprites. I'll appreciate the new animal ideas, I'm thinking I'll have to add new animals soon. Some idiot forgot to include any gorgonopsids.

I've been considering the new names, but I really don't think it's a good idea in the long term to change the names to eliminate real places and names. There's a lot of creatures that are named after places and people, but wouldn't have any other obvious name to give them. Things like Utahraptor, Daktoaraptor, Herrerasaurus, Albertosaurus, Yangchuanosaurus, Piatnitzkysaurus, or Argentinosaurus. The American cheetah is an extreme example, but I think most players (including myself prior to making the mod) would much more readily recognize what it is from that name as opposed to Miracinonyx. I'd rather just assume that the in-universe languages have different names for them*, but leave the easily Googled names for the player to see.

*For example, according to the language files, a dog is called an idar, macetha, anot, sheka, or random kobold gibbering by the ingame cultures.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:07:06 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod(525 animals)[44.12]
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 09:55:20 pm »

Just a quick announcement that I've added 25 new animals to this mod.

Spoiler: List (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod(525 animals)[44.12]
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 08:52:14 pm »

how do you have so much motivation

I wasn't ignoring this question, just considering how to answer it. I guess I'm not completely sure, but I find it essential to write down my goals and check them off as I complete them.
My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8