Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod(630 animals)[50.xx]  (Read 48643 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod(540 animals)[44.12]
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2019, 10:55:02 pm »

****Counted again from my mod notes instead of the guide, and got 719. This is weird. Presumably, this is punishment for my hubris in recreating dinosaurs.

You modders got so preoccupied with whether or not you could that, uh, you never stopped to think if you should.

BTW if I can make a suggestion, I think more pterosaurs would be cool. Does your mod have Thalassodromeus yet? :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:59:00 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod(500+ animals)[44.12]
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2019, 11:14:40 pm »

I hadn't done that one, but I'll add it in with the ones I need to rebuild.

*Alright, I think I've regained control of the mod. All animals should be in every version of the mod, the missing creatures have been recovered or rebuilt, woolly rhinos give yarn, and Thalassodromeus has been added. I should recount and figure out exactly how many creatures there are soon, but the work is done.

**Alright, I went through the mod with Firefox and counted one more time. Unless I missed any again, there are 526 animals in total. I wonder where I got the extra 14. I liked having 540, maybe I'll just add a few more sometime. Please let me know if you find any bugs or have any suggestions for new animals.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 12:58:38 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod(526 animals)[44.12]
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2019, 03:28:02 pm »

If you're taking suggestions then I've got some:

Dinosaurs:
-Miragaia - a long-necked stegosaurid;
-Ichthyovenator - a spinosaurid with a notch in its sail;
-Antarctopelta - a small ankylosaurid with long spikes on its shoulders;
-Sauroposeidon - one of the largest sauropods, pretty well known too;
-Magyarosaurus - a tiny sauropod, not much larger than a cow;
-Rugops - a small abelisaur;
-Thanos - another abelisaur. Not very notable, but it shares the name with a certain space raisin;

Pterosaurs:
-Hatzegopteryx - a well-known Quetzalcoatlus relative;
-Nyctosaurus - a pterosaur with a strange-shaped crest;
-Dsungaripterus - a stout pterosaur with characteristically shaped skull;
-Pterodaustro - a filter-feeding pterosaur with baleen-like teeth;

Mammals:
-Synthetoceras - a protoceratid with a forked horn on its nose;
-Amphicyon - a bear-dog;
-Dinopithecus - a giant baboon;
-Castoroides - a giant beaver;
-Mylodon - a smaller ground sloth;
-Cave hyena - an ice age subspecies of spotted hyena;
-Kubanochoerus - a large hog. Males have a single horn on their foreheads;

Other:
-Longisquama - a lizard-ike creature with elongated scales protruding from its back. NOT AN ANCESTOR OF PTEROSAURS, David Peters is a hack, watch out never to use his artworks as a reference. Mini-rant over, please carry on;
-Sharovipteryx - a lizard-like creature with wings on its legs, how cool is that?
-Palaeobatrachus - just a frog;
-Metriorhynchus - a fully aquatic crocodyliform;
-Mioproteus - a prehistoric olm, probably not living underground;
-Onchopristis - a 10 meter sawfish, possibly preyed upon by Spinosaurus;
-Purlovia - a herbivorous therapsid with large canines. It's in ARK, so it's not like it's completely unrecognizable

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2019, 05:46:32 pm »

Alright, I wrote all those down for the next time I add creatures. I especially like the cave hyena and Hatzegopteryx. Hateg Island was a cool place. Thanks for the warning regarding David Peters! I'll make sure to only use his writings from now on.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 11:59:55 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2019, 06:50:55 pm »

Yeah, you should generally be skeptical of anything said by David Peters, since AFAIK he's actually an artist rather than an established scientist. Some of his stuff from the 90s is pretty good, but then he kind of went off the deep end with a whole bunch of extremely controversial ideas that he basically demanded all professional palaeontologists start listening to.

Enough derailing of the thread though, back to discussing the mod. :P Tanystropheus would also be cool, if you haven't added it yet. ;)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2019, 09:46:28 pm »

That's a good suggestion, but Tanystropheus is already in the mod. It even has a custom color associated with it to make it look a bit more like it did in Spongebob.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 01:37:17 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2019, 10:15:17 am »

Oh cool, sorry haven't played the mod in a while.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod(551 animals)[44.12]
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2019, 07:33:53 pm »

If you're taking suggestions then I've got some:

Dinosaurs:
-Miragaia - a long-necked stegosaurid;
-Ichthyovenator - a spinosaurid with a notch in its sail;
-Antarctopelta - a small ankylosaurid with long spikes on its shoulders;
-Sauroposeidon - one of the largest sauropods, pretty well known too;
-Magyarosaurus - a tiny sauropod, not much larger than a cow;
-Rugops - a small abelisaur;
-Thanos - another abelisaur. Not very notable, but it shares the name with a certain space raisin;

Pterosaurs:
-Hatzegopteryx - a well-known Quetzalcoatlus relative;
-Nyctosaurus - a pterosaur with a strange-shaped crest;
-Dsungaripterus - a stout pterosaur with characteristically shaped skull;
-Pterodaustro - a filter-feeding pterosaur with baleen-like teeth;

Mammals:
-Synthetoceras - a protoceratid with a forked horn on its nose;
-Amphicyon - a bear-dog;
-Dinopithecus - a giant baboon;
-Castoroides - a giant beaver;
-Mylodon - a smaller ground sloth;
-Cave hyena - an ice age subspecies of spotted hyena;
-Kubanochoerus - a large hog. Males have a single horn on their foreheads;

Other:
-Longisquama - a lizard-ike creature with elongated scales protruding from its back. NOT AN ANCESTOR OF PTEROSAURS, David Peters is a hack, watch out never to use his artworks as a reference. Mini-rant over, please carry on;
-Sharovipteryx - a lizard-like creature with wings on its legs, how cool is that?
-Palaeobatrachus - just a frog;
-Metriorhynchus - a fully aquatic crocodyliform;
-Mioproteus - a prehistoric olm, probably not living underground;
-Onchopristis - a 10 meter sawfish, possibly preyed upon by Spinosaurus;
-Purlovia - a herbivorous therapsid with large canines. It's in ARK, so it's not like it's completely unrecognizable

The mod has been updated to include all of these suggestions. I did change the name of Amphicyon to "bear dog", at least for now. I also used your descriptions for a couple of them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:36:40 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2019, 02:26:05 pm »

Here's a weird one; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myotragus

It's a sheep/goat (apparently most closely related to sheep, but more an in-betweener) that lived on the island of Majorca in the Mediterranean. They have perennial (constantly-growing) lower incisors, but no upper incisors at all, their eyes face forward, their snout was short, they had short stubby legs making them about 20 in/50 cm tall at about 150kg, humped back, arched rump and short horns on both sexes. They were apparently cold blooded (based on seasonal, slow growth rates) and slow growing, reaching full size at 12 years, but newborns were pretty big. Also, apparently, unusually small brain (evolutionary biologists suggest this is because on a small island with limited resources and a lack of predators, a big brain is a waste of energy.)

They look kind like a dik-dik with the arched back.
Tumblr has pics:
https://www.tumblr.com/search/myotragus%20balearicus
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:28:20 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2019, 03:00:22 pm »

Me: What're you up too?

(This isn't supposed to be drama or anything, just a little joke, since I still can't get the motivation to do... well anything, but also to work on my mods)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2019, 09:00:54 pm »

Here's a weird one; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myotragus

It's a sheep/goat (apparently most closely related to sheep, but more an in-betweener) that lived on the island of Majorca in the Mediterranean. They have perennial (constantly-growing) lower incisors, but no upper incisors at all, their eyes face forward, their snout was short, they had short stubby legs making them about 20 in/50 cm tall at about 150kg, humped back, arched rump and short horns on both sexes. They were apparently cold blooded (based on seasonal, slow growth rates) and slow growing, reaching full size at 12 years, but newborns were pretty big. Also, apparently, unusually small brain (evolutionary biologists suggest this is because on a small island with limited resources and a lack of predators, a big brain is a waste of energy.)

They look kind like a dik-dik with the arched back.
Tumblr has pics:
https://www.tumblr.com/search/myotragus%20balearicus

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been wanting to get to 555 animals, so I'll add Myotragus and a few other animals shortly.

Me: What're you up too?

(This isn't supposed to be drama or anything, just a little joke, since I still can't get the motivation to do... well anything, but also to work on my mods)

Still...

*Edit:The update has been released. Myotragus has been added to the mod, alongside Barbary lions, California grizzlies, Rabb's fringe-limbed treefrogs, and golden toads.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:07:49 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

A new update has been released, adding dinosaur men and werecreatures to the game, almost in time for Halloween!

Creature lists:

Spoiler: Werecreature variants (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Animal person variants (click to show/hide)

There were also some minor bugfixes and tweaks.
My mods and forum games.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Weredilophosaurs should spit venom, just a suggestion. :P

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

That's a good idea, I'll keep it in mind for the next time I update.
My mods and forum games.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Primal:A prehistoric wildlife mod(575 animals)[44.12]
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2020, 05:55:36 pm »

I wasn't really planning on adding more werecreatures, but then I realized the "outdated monsters" theme I gave them provided me with the opportunity to add the Crystal Palace Iguanodon and Megalosaurus and decided to add those two. Weremegalosaurus and wereiguanodon have been added to the mod. The weredilophosaur has been given a smaller size and deadly spit, per PlumpHelmetMan's suggestion.

Along with those two werecreatures, I've added 19 new animals.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 05:58:56 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8