Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Grim Dawn Theorycrafting & impressions  (Read 6250 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Dawn Theorycrafting & impressions
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 11:13:53 am »

For your perusing. Includes devotions, though I probably will end up tweaking those.

I'm lead to believe that -resist debuffs are very valuable in the later stages of the game.  If so, I'd maybe change Aura of Conviction to Aura of Censure for the -elemental resists and maybe put a point or three into Thermite Mines.  And since you've got the transmuter converting Canister Bomb to Lightning damage, it may be worth doing the same for Grenado as I expect you're more likely to have gear buffing lightning/elemental damage than physical.

I'm also a fan of putting at least a single point into passives/toggles like Deadly Aim or Vindictive Flames, but I dunno if that's actually a good idea or not.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 11:21:00 am »

For your perusing. Includes devotions, though I probably will end up tweaking those.

I'm lead to believe that -resist debuffs are very valuable in the later stages of the game.  If so, I'd maybe change Aura of Conviction to Aura of Censure for the -elemental resists and maybe put a point or three into Thermite Mines.  And since you've got the transmuter converting Canister Bomb to Lightning damage, it may be worth doing the same for Grenado as I expect you're more likely to have gear buffing lightning/elemental damage than physical.

I'm also a fan of putting at least a single point into passives/toggles like Deadly Aim or Vindictive Flames, but I dunno if that's actually a good idea or not.
The Aura of Censure suggestion is probably a good one, will try that once I hit the level for it.

Well, thanks for pointing out my derp. For some inane reason I thought that Grenado did fire damage. I'll need to revise my devotions.

I don't exactly plan on auto-attacking past a specific point, so I'm considering putting a few temporary points there and then later pulling them out to go elsewhere.

EDIT: Revised
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:36:58 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2018, 11:58:39 am »

You were partly right in thinking Grenado does fire damage - about 25% of its damage is fire if you take the 2nd node (as you have).

Incidentally if you want to focus entirely on fire damage, there's a pistol Cindercore that does 100% physical to fire damage conversion for Grenado and Canister.  It's very high level though and obviously there's no guarantee of finding it.  I'm planning/hoping for it on my own bomber character.

Edit: My own planned Sorcerer bomber.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:36:38 pm by Biowraith »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 06:33:37 am »

I finally finished Ultimate difficulty (well, vanilla content, I've not run Ultimate Malmouth yet), using my Warder.  Only took 520 hours of being distracted by alts :p

After that I've revisited my Trickster and I'm remembering how much I like this build.  It plays kind of like a pet character, but a bit more active and without the need to keep pets alive (especially now that Blade Spirit is permanent once summoned).  Basically I lock down the enemies with Grasping Vines and Blade Trap, while Wind Devil, Blade Spirit, and Nemesis run around killing everything.  For tougher enemies I pop a Storm Totem or three.  And all the while there's devotion and gear powers proccing constantly from all the DoT damage ticking away.  It's fairly rare anything actually manages to get into range to attack me, much less endanger me (and when they do there's Pneumatic Burst and Blade Barrier).  Killed Alkamos in the Steps of Torment today and only went below 90% health once in the whole fight.

The only caveat is I'm only up to Elite on her so far; I don't know how it'll hold up on Ultimate (though my experiences say Ultimate isn't quite as big a deal as some people make out, at least outside of the big world bosses).

So here's the build:

Current build, melting through Elite
Target level 100 build

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 11:12:48 am »

Didn't know about this game, but the current sale is tickling my fancy.

I have only one question.
Is this a game in wich I can just play along and throw together a build that seems enjoyable?
Or should I expect endless suffering later in the game if I don't optimize my builds right from the start?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 11:20:48 am »

Didn't know about this game, but the current sale is tickling my fancy.

I have only one question.
Is this a game in wich I can just play along and throw together a build that seems enjoyable?
Or should I expect endless suffering later in the game if I don't optimize my builds right from the start?
Grim Dawn is forgiving in that you can respec nearly everything. The only thing you cannot change are the masteries you've picked. I think you get one potion to change attributes per difficulty level, but I'm not sure. Just remember that physique is king and you'll be fine.

You can go all the way to the start of Ashes of Malmouth with a poorly-thought-out build, and can even struggle through the expansion with it. Elite and Ultimate, though, will require some forethought.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 11:25:55 am »

It's fine then.
Usually in this kind of games I enjoy a couple "free" playthroughs.
Then if I really like the game I start going more into min-maxed builds to experience the end-game.
The current sale is hard to pass.

EDIT: I guess I'll get the game + Ashes expansion.
Crucible mode looks like very end-game stuff, so I'll think about it later.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 11:29:12 am by Ai Shizuka »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 01:09:51 pm »

It's fine then.
Usually in this kind of games I enjoy a couple "free" playthroughs.
Then if I really like the game I start going more into min-maxed builds to experience the end-game.
The current sale is hard to pass.

EDIT: I guess I'll get the game + Ashes expansion.
Crucible mode looks like very end-game stuff, so I'll think about it later.
Crucible is only sort of endgame in that you need a particularly good build to finish it a max difficulty. But otherwise it's pretty neat. Just not exactly something you'd play before your first run of the campaign.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 03:58:05 am »

Is there anything like a hostile outline mod/option (not just target only)? I'm finding that Malmouth, and especially Crown Hill, has ridiculously bad visibility for me to the point where one of my minions was attacking a "door" while I was manually sorting stuff in my inventory... and turns out it was actually whittling down a hero. I'd also say that about a third of my deaths are from thinking that everything already died and I got blindsided or I was standing in some kind of persistent attack that didn't parse as an attack.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 04:38:21 am »

I don't know about outlines, but apparently there's a mod that lets you add names and health info above the enemies (among various other things), which might make it more obvious when there's enemies still alive (and highlight the presence of heroes) - Grim Internals

Disclaimer: I've never used this mod myself or seen it in action, besides this screenshot:

Spoiler: Example screenshot (click to show/hide)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 03:46:00 pm »

PTW. I think I'm running a sorcerer but I haven't started the game in ages. I know one of my masteries involves boomsticks and the other involves magic. I eagerly await Forgotten Gods despite the aforementioned lack of playing.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 04:27:08 pm »

I've been playing this in the last couple days.
Started with a 2H shaman, but it didn't feel shaman-y at all, so I rerolled to play more as a caster. Currently level 15 with maxed devouring swarm and mogdrogen's pact. Now I'm leveling grasping vines.

I'm not following specific builds yet, because I want to experiment on my own. I just read a couple quick beginner guides and they all say to pick a couple damage types and pump those.
So I'll probably take occultist as the second class and level more bleeding/vitality skills.

I don't know if it will be useless later, but for now things are exploding fast with devouring swarm. Just killed Salazar.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 08:56:55 am »

My experiences using Devouring Swarm later on is that it's not particularly great damage, but it does a big chunk of resistance reduction which is very valuable (and that stacks with e.g. Curse of Frailty > Vulnerability if you go Occultist).

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 04:27:24 pm »

I'm still with my GD apostate... it's pretty mighty, inq seal bolsters skel survival a lot.

I'm considering my next steps. I think spectral wrath is a good idea, but IDK if maxing WOTC is. I mean, you do get vit conversion but otherwise the bonuses are not extraordinary (and I'm getting damage bonuses out of the other inq seal ability anyway). I'll probably leave it be for the time being and substract points as needed for proc abilities. And if I figure some better place to dump those points I'll leave it at 1. It's not worthless, but I'm not convinced of its relevance next to inq seal
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:29:27 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 12:28:53 am »

I find WOTC to either be a dump for your excess points if you're not built around skeletons, or maxed out if you are.

If you use skeletons at all, it's definitely worth the one point so you can take advantage of any +allskill gear you're packing.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 [2] 3