Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Grim Dawn Theorycrafting & impressions  (Read 6202 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Dawn Theorycrafting & impressions
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 03:48:20 am »

I'm building around skels, but I'm not convinced it's a good idea to max it (vs using those points in, say, making a couple of one SP wonders for procs and profit. Crypt fiend for instance

I also have a question: vigor extra HP: does that go before or after summon % hp bonuses?

Fakeedit: its flat health and therefore v good

Edit 2: lets downgrade it to "good". I estimate that at 10 ranks it only provides around 10 to 20% over base skel health. Which is not bad but not amazing either.

Edit 3: so I tested this in an area 8 levels over me (bastion of chaos, monsters are level 58 on average. I was level 50). Good performance. Was saved by giant blood several times. My skellies...the ones IN the inq seal did as well as always, and nuked all the bosses. The ones outside the seal were far less resilient. All is good and within the expected features. Really its even a feature of the strategy: over time you end up selecting for ranged skeletons (wizards and archers) over melee (esp unarmored). Skeletal knights *do*  have a role if they survive, but being able to attack from the seal and benefit from the massive damage bonus and DR it provides trumps the slightly better stats of the knights
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:08:57 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 01:10:27 pm »

Addenum: I'm trying to use what I learned from the apostate to build a cabalist. I figure that if I build it around skels and use familiars and hellhounds as aura providing one point wonders, given that blood of dreeg provides damage reduction and the familiar gives elemental resistance... it should be pretty analogous to the skeleton + seal tactic, but possibly easier to autopilot.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 03:21:52 pm »

I finally reinstalled after not playing for a few years.
Managed to recover my savegame from an old hard drive, which was about 2 hours of effort for a save with only 10 hours played...

Any newbie tips before I sell off all of what looks like junk in my inventory and dive into the nearest dungeon and start mashing whatever skills I left on my skillbar?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 03:26:29 pm »

The only real advice I have is don't neglect the physique stat.  Playing as a glass canon sounds great, but it practice it doesn't seem to work to well past level 50 or so.

Also https://grimtools.com/ is a great site if you want to obsessively plan things.  The only downside is it assumes you have the two expansions when looking with the devotion points.

Edit:  Also, this might just be me not understanding the game right, but as far as I can tell its pointless to make a build that depends on critical attacks.  They hardly do any extra damage and the enemies scale at a rate that even if you put a ton of points into cunning you still aren't going to crit very often against boss enemies.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:31:16 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 01:19:31 am »

Edit:  Also, this might just be me not understanding the game right, but as far as I can tell its pointless to make a build that depends on critical attacks.  They hardly do any extra damage and the enemies scale at a rate that even if you put a ton of points into cunning you still aren't going to crit very often against boss enemies.

From what I understand critical attacks are quite valued for dps later on, and some devotion or item abilities proc on crits.  But a) making a crit build also involves seeking out +crit damage, and b) it's not usually done via cunning (most people pour their stat points into physique) so much as through 'raw' Offensive Ability from gear/devotions/skills.  I gather at endgame a standard build wants about 2500 OA to ensure they can hit, while a crit build wants 3000-3500 (but much more than 3500 OA doesn't do much).  I've never paid the OA stat too much attention at low levels though, unless I'm missing constantly.

My newbie advice is that in addition to not neglecting physique, don't neglect your resistances.  It doesn't matter much in the early game, but for some of normal difficulty and pretty much all of elite onwards you're going to want to keep those resists as close to cap as you can.

Also focusing on pumping just one or two attacks early on can greatly speed up how quickly you plough through the early levels.  Alternatively, the attacks you gain from applying components to your weapon (e.g. the fireball from Searing Flame) are pretty strong early on, to the point you can use them instead of investing points in class attacks.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 08:28:24 pm »

I'm necroing this thread because a big patch (1.1.5.0) has hit, and with it comes a new "Roguelike" Dungeon: The Tomb of the Heretic. And it's a really fun one.

Here's a spoilery guide for how to unlock the Tomb after getting the quest from Riggs
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2019, 02:27:08 am »

Aw man, now I have to go through and tweak all the builds I'll never have time to actually play.
Pages: 1 2 [3]