Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some quick raw questions (domestication, trolls counting as livestock ect)  (Read 1301 times)

kekkres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mkay so my current fort has become my first foray into really actively using dfhack and I've been doing some basic raw edits to help correct some of the oddities that causes. Almost all of this stems to a decision to make my dwarves slavers, after seeing they had a goddess of thralldom,  so I have been "enslaving" every non-invader creature that finds it's way into my cage traps and has CAN_LEARN.
Now the oddities
Trolls count as livestock and I cannot figure out what tag is causing this.
Goblins never drink then complain about a non-existent lack of booze
Gorlacks have a "torso slot" for clothing, according to therapist, and I'm not sure what equipment they need as neither shirts nor pants fill it.
Blind cave ogres are too big to clothe, is there any way to select them as a size in the details menu.
Are there any tags I should add or remove from things I enslave in general to help them function more like dwarves mechanically? (Eating, moods ect?)

And a final unrelated question is there any way to make your civ list an animal as domestic post worldgen? Or are tags like COMMON_DOMESTIC ignored once the game starts?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: Some quick raw questions (domestication, trolls counting as livestock ect)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 06:46:08 am »

Intelligent creatures caught in the wild and tamed will always be more like livestock unless they have natural skills, in which case they'll have related labors enabled by default. I remember reading somewhere that they will petition for citizenship after a few years, but I never had it happen, so I can't confirm that.
Those bought from caravans will usually have some skills already.
Sapients brought at embark are more like citizens, but can only be given jobs using third party utilities such as Dwarf Therapist.

blind cave ogres are 7M in size, which is absulutely gigantic. Much larger than even elephant men. To properly clothe them you'd have to make an intelligent creature of their size that doesn't actually exist.

NO_DRINK, NO_EAT, and NO_SLEEP do exactly what it says on the tin, and they can be removed to make things have basic needs. STRANGE_MOODS enables strange moods. Removing CARNIVORE will make trolls eat veggies if your forts don't do much hunting or fishing.

kekkres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some quick raw questions (domestication, trolls counting as livestock ect)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 02:25:42 pm »

UPDATE it seems the ONLY thing that separates citizens and livestock is the combination of BOTH the [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] tags, creatures who only have [CAN_LEARN] will be thought of as animals by the UI and cannot be assigned work preferences work animals, or be exiled, furthermore examining them does not give you any insight into their thoughts. However they can still be drafted into the military, proform any labors you enable in therapist and be assigned rooms.

Further documentation since I tested this pretty extensively. If a creature has the prerequisites for citizenship as well as a petscore they are treated as animals once tamed but can petition for citizenship like visitors (Like gremlins) once they are citizens they will still need taming which is apparently a huge hassle.

"Livestock" citizens either tamed like gremlins or non speaking cannot be used for any noble position unlike "real" citizens

[CAN_SPEAK] Seems to nullify [UTTERANCES] for all fortress or adventure mode purposes other than naming schemes, though talking kobolds may still act as if they cannot talk during worldgen.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After running modifications for a period of time, if you were going to use sentient creatures at all, i highly recommend that you have DFhack to cover any problems and DO NOT, attempt to gui-edit sentient tamable creatures to any extensive degree because they are hard work and will almost never function properly.

* Core problem being that if the creature is NOT related to one of your embarked-with creatures, they will not have a historical figure entry, which makes later things like assigning a name (done via gui-hacking) pointless. They will also have no predisposed entity values besides those that they learn on site reading books if they're open minded enough to do so, so converting gorlaks with hacking tools is pointless for instance until you recieve offspring most likely.

*Try as you might, you can't presently just slot in a new historical entry for a creature on the spot by typing some numbers in advance into a field, it needs to be staged appropriately so it is in order and importantly not overlapping with any of the 1000 other or so historicals you can't see off map.

You can substitute this by embarking with only female members of your captive sentient race (trolls let say), handle them normally, then use captured male trolls from the caverns as mates either by taming them further on the basis that Troll breeding habits are very relaxed like animals into contact breeding rather than dedicated marriage.

• For this step you might want to alter the tags around the rate of troll maturity and remove the baby stage so that a mother can support many children within her lifetime. Trolls really don't care about genetics so bundle as many in together and make notice of which trolls are wild and which are not bloodline wise.

On the subject of how to obtain trolls [ANIMAL] tags work fine and, ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT substitutes [COMMON_DOMESTIC] entirely, while [ANIMAL_NEVER_PET] will stop off site citizens bringing pet trolls.

Code: [Select]
[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_TOKEN:TROLL]
[ANIMAL_NEVER_MOUNT]
[ANIMAL_NEVER_WAGON_PULLER]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_SIEGE]
[ANIMAL_NEVER_PET]
[ANIMAL_NEVER_PACK_ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 03:52:56 am by FantasticDorf »