Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How should I finish this wall?  (Read 2487 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
How should I finish this wall?
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:26:36 pm »

So my current fortress has been stalled for a few months because I painted myself into a corner. This is Inksacks:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The building in the top center is carved out of a 15z high block of obsidian, and you can see that the last layer of curtain wall that I planned is just about to finish pouring. I had originally planned on casting some slightly larger turrets on top of all the round guard towers and leave it at that. I thought I was almost done.

Then I remembered that climbing exists.

At the highest point of the ground, on the right, the wall is only 2z tall (though I dug it into the ground, so theoretically I could just remove the entire hill). It wouldn't be ridiculous to add another layer for a huge lip that runs all around the fort. On the other hand, I kind of hate the aesthetics of it, and I'd have to carve fortifications both under and over it to handle walkers and flyers, or make the top open, which allows for kamikaze archers. On this third, severed hand I found on the ground over there, I do intend to have patrols circling around the wall at all times, so I could just make it look good and trust in my military might, which is pretty OK by now.

What do you think? Put a lip on the wall, or leave it alone? Do I need to make it taller or not? Or are there other alternatives I haven't thought of?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: How should I finish this wall?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 07:36:27 pm »

A lip will do it. Taller doesn't help much. Smoothed stone is also unclimbable - but I'm not sure if that's something you can plop in.

Or - magma moat on the top of the wall?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 08:20:47 pm »

A lip will do it. Taller doesn't help much. Smoothed stone is also unclimbable - but I'm not sure if that's something you can plop in.

Or - magma moat on the top of the wall?

Smoothed stone is unclimbable? I had no idea, and I was pondering whether or not to smooth it just for aesthetic reasons. It's fully surrounded by scaffolding still, so smoothing it would be a piece of cake.

For that matter, a magma moat on top would also be a piece of cake, and if I keep the patrols to a tunnel inside with fortifications and have archers on the turrets, that would cover just about all scenarios while being a thing of beauty. I like this idea.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 08:30:33 pm »

Smoothed stone is not unlimbable, but I believe it applies a malus to climb checks. If it works as constructed block walls. Climbing a tree is easy, climbing a 1z raw wood wall is easy, climbing a 2z block wall is something I never saw invaders do

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 01:51:21 am »

then can someone change the wiki entry for climbing and defense to take out that false statement about unclimbable smooth walls please?
i relied on it.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 04:08:41 am »

Smoothed stone is not unlimbable, but I believe it applies a malus to climb checks. If it works as constructed block walls. Climbing a tree is easy, climbing a 1z raw wood wall is easy, climbing a 2z block wall is something I never saw invaders do
then can someone change the wiki entry for climbing and defense to take out that false statement about unclimbable smooth walls please?
i relied on it.

Natural walls that are smoothed aren't climbable right now, but that'll probably change for certain creatures (all pillar-shaped walls are climbable now).
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 04:50:36 am »

i relied on it.

Natural walls that are smoothed aren't climbable right now, but that'll probably change for certain creatures (all pillar-shaped walls are climbable now).
sounds like a bug to me.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 06:02:31 am »

sounds like a bug to me.
Can you demonstrate the bug? You sure they aren't getting up some other way?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 12:41:51 pm »

You can build one tile out from the wall, which you are using as floor. Climbers don't climb in DF yet hanging from ceiling. :D
____
___W
__W
__W

I would just put floor over the wall bellow, just in case fliers would not respect the floor's continuity there. Roof it all also...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 12:59:39 pm »

Lava moat.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 02:21:39 pm »

Self-replicating auto-obsidianizer at the edge of the wall.

Our wall grows thicker and stronger with every goblin's entombed corpse.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 03:12:57 pm »

Self-replicating auto-obsidianizer at the edge of the wall.

Our wall grows thicker and stronger with every goblin's entombed corpse.

This is easily the most dwarfy solution physically possible. Applause.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 10:21:29 pm »

You can build one tile out from the wall, which you are using as floor. Climbers don't climb in DF yet hanging from ceiling. :D
____
___W
__W
__W

I would just put floor over the wall bellow, just in case fliers would not respect the floor's continuity there. Roof it all also...
They can climb diagonally upwards, grasping onto the side of the extended wall. You need two tiles outward for that.

The alternative is one tile of floor outward, which makes use of the fact that they can't hold onto the air above the floor. See the wiki diagrams here.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 07:50:29 am »

____
___W
__W
__W

They can climb diagonally upwards, grasping onto the side of the extended wall. You need two tiles outward for that.

The alternative is one tile of floor outward, which makes use of the fact that they can't hold onto the air above the floor. See the wiki diagrams here.
so any Fortifications carved into the wall are unsafe as long as they don't have a 2 tile overhang
same for my watchtowers...
it will always look wrong and will create a space under the overhang where enemies are safe from the archers in the tower.

them being able to climb inbetween the wall and the floor from underneath or climbing through roofed fortifications looks like a bug to me.
Pages: [1] 2