Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating a Necromancer Squad?  (Read 755 times)

Shazial

• Bay Watcher
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
Creating a Necromancer Squad?
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:46:38 pm »

In my test fortress I've ran into the joy of retrieving one scroll that concerns the secrets of life and death. Good thing I caught it with only one of my civilians having turned into a necromancer so far (though I do need to go through rest of the literature fetched from the necromancer towers to check that there truly was only one scroll..). This has got me thinking: Now I have the potential to create more necromancers(, and fun)!

First thought with it would be to militarize it. A squad of immortal skeleton creators does sound fun. Questions remain, would this actually be useful when sending the squad out to raid sites? Would they use their necromatic arts during the battles or be just regular soldiers? If they do, would the creatures they rise during out of home combat follow them when they return?

The plan does have some gaping questions to it. I believe there's no way to control who reads which scroll, so the squad would most likely be completely randomized? Can children read the necromancer scroll and become necromancers? If this is possible, do childmancers ever grow up to adulthood?

And well.. I've now forbidden the book. IS this enough to stop anyone from reading it for now? Can this scroll be duplicated and if it can, do the copies of it also turn people into necromancers if read?

Possible downside of the plan is of course the fact I have huuuge piles of bones everywhere as my animal industry got a bit out of hands. Thus I'd need to constantly pay attention and be sending the squad out the moment they arrive so they won't cause any fun at home. One sketal Emu doesn't harm anyone but if they get into the butchering area we got other issues..

Of course if this all is viable, I am sitting at the edge of a civilization changing question: Should I try and turn my whole fortress into necromancers? It'd be a big project, since I now have over 700 workers + children on the site.

Anyone have any experience with friendly necromancers and have tips and tricks on what I could do with this (un)fortunate acquisition of mine?

[EDIT] I have discovered I have a total of THREE Nercomancer scrolls and thus I now have a squadful of Necromancers. That fixed itself quick... Now to experiment.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:56:10 pm by Shazial »
I'm surrounded by lunatics who don't even need a moon.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a Necromancer Squad?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 01:28:01 pm »

turn them into necromancers do it all of them

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 08:04:32 pm »

This is extremely interesting. Please post results!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

sheepish_gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:54:27 am »

Get some scribes to work!
1. create a big library (which can be sealed off, in case scribes become necromancers)
2. assign some scribes.
3. Try to fill the library with a lot of copies of the scroll.
4. get everyone into the library.
5. lock the library, so the only thing they can do is read those copies.

I see no way how this could go wrong

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 09:35:02 am »

Please good sir, post the results here!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 02:21:24 pm »

With the inclusion of magic, we can only hope that magical abilities in squads might become a more if not a soldier class of its own (thinking of a typical  'war-mage or mystic') for having a higher proficiency in offensive magic than weapon skills.

Necromancy squads does sound like fun though, as atleast in theory the zombies will be on your side because militia squads work explicitly for the fortress, however they don't actually dissapate afterwards so you might have to send another squad out to kill the zombies you rose afterwards when the deed is done to save them attacking neutral creeps, whilst hopefully avoiding loyalty cascade weirdness.