Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tempting nobles into your fort  (Read 1540 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Tempting nobles into your fort
« on: January 02, 2019, 03:16:25 am »

So, long story short - I'm rebuilding a civ from the point of extinction. (The dwarven civ had two citizens only -  a goblin and a chinchilla man.) We are at war with a powerful elven empire, and not in good relations with the local goblins.

I started a fort on a single tile island way to the west and built a lovely, peaceful fort over a few days - Wavecuts. At some point I exported legends to see what was happening. The moment I embarked, a queen was named - living in exile at an unclaimed fortress last attacked by elves. For about three years, nobles were appointed and promoted a few times - meaning we had no outpost liason (since each one became a count or baron). Finally, years in, we had an outpost liason and sent back thousands in gifts.

We reached metropolis, exported and gifted tens of thousands. Now, my framerate has died, so I want to move on to a smaller fort. I'd like to attract a noble first - but none have arrived. Preferably I'd get the queen. Being secluded and having a slow framerate has made the game a bit boring, waiting a couple hours for an outpost liason to tell me nothing new and no nobles joining.

I'm wondering if the rules have changed. Do you need economically linked settlements to recieve nobles? That would be impossible on the little, lonely island. Is there anything more I could do to attract nobles to the safety of Wavecuts?

If not, I'll just move on, but if there are any suggestions, I'm up for it.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tempting nobles into your fort
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 04:01:19 am »

If you are talking about becoming a barony, then yes, that's now entirely dependent on linked sites  (tributaries, hillocks ect. ). If you mean you want to attract the monarch, I'm a bit fuzzy on the process, but I don't think it has changed.

If you want to, I think you could start an adventurer from your fort, build a camp, and than make that a holding of your fort. Unless your fort is filling the entire island.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 04:59:14 am »

Ah, I see. That's a rather clever solution. I think I'll do that just to secure the island as a safe bastion.

I wonder if monarchs are subject to the same rules of requiring off-site holdings. My queen seems to actually be a member of the enemy elf faction - so that might have something to do with it as well.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I can't spawn an adventurer as someone from my civilization. I'm also not going to swim across the ocean to do this...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:02:53 am by delphonso »

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 09:41:39 am »

hm, maybe your civ is still marked as dying or something, thus preventing you from spawning adventurers... I am not sure what you mean by "Safe Bastion", but seeing as your on a lonesome island, Id say your as safe as it gets.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 10:57:24 am »

Not sure. I DF hacked someone over there and yeah, on the "c" map - it's only one square, so making a camp won't work. Thanks for the advice, though.

I moved on to a struggling little fort in the glaciers up north.

By safe - I mostly just meant population numbers and strong Tactician skills that should help the AI fend off raids from the elves while I'm off building other forts if that should happen - not sure if the elves will even raid the island. I figured having more sites closely connected would help.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 11:03:48 am »

They should be fine :) AFAIK raids cant cross oceans ever, and there population will probably slowly increase or at least stay the same for many years.

Only thing that might be is if, somehow, they could reach you through the caverns... but im not the expert on that.

AtTheFinComrade

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [ETHIC:GENOCIDE:PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 03:32:08 pm »

Nobles or other postition holders don't appear in regular migrant waves ever. If you conquer another site and store some dwarves there, your civ might get an outpost laison which will allow you to get a baron and eventually summon the monarch.