Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Massive amount of creature spawning on custom sites  (Read 1700 times)

Cpoffers

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Massive amount of creature spawning on custom sites
« on: January 02, 2019, 06:35:40 am »

So, getting back into DF after an absence. Playing Adventure Mode, I decide to check out the custom site building mechanics. Things start out ok, and I build over winter and spring without any issues.

Come summer though, the game starts spawning in creatures. Lots and lots of creatures. Hundreds of creatures. By the time I use DFHack to exterminate them to make the game playable again, it comes to a total of 268 day-spawning creatures and 128 night-spawning ones, all crowded onto the site. And that's not including the cavern-dwellers that I exterminated later.

After moving all the corpses off-site, the game (eventually) goes back to normal. After a game crash that caused me to lose a few hours of progress, I start up again and it's happening again.

This seems to be unique to the custom site. Pre-existing sites and the wilderness have regular amounts of creatures.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this and how I can prevent it from happening?

Thanks

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Massive amount of creature spawning on custom sites
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 05:29:40 pm »

The different night monsters do fight with each other on your site too. I just butchered one and was wondering, how to dispose its useless parts. There is no atom smasher and if I set fire, then the fire doesn't destroy even nervous tissues. Adventure mode is broken and non functional?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 06:54:10 pm »

Yeah these are going to be a pain in the ass for a while. Make sure you send bug reports to the mantis tracker for Toady.

I can only guess at why creatures seem to multiply on player sites, and my guess is that the game is saving wild, non-historical, irrelevant creatures when the site saves, but doesnt flag them as wilderness spawns when it loads them again, allowing the game to generate more wilderness spawns, which it then saves but doesnt flag as wilderness spawns, repeat ad-infinitum.

sarmation, I think the best way to dispose of corpses is just what Cpoffers is doing: carry them off into the woods and dump them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 06:18:59 am »

hmm having ported over an entire campsite into the ocean I guess the camps save everyone and everything that was there when you return, which kinda multiplies when you have wandering visitors and guests arriving to the place... what Eric blank mostly said. it's a leftover of the Castle being filled with Wild animals issue some years back.
there's probably a dfhack solution given this doesn't seem to happen to the other sites.

on the subject of junk, you could just use them for construction fodder and use the cheat option in advfort and just build walls and floors with the corpses.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:25:09 am »

Yeah these are going to be a pain in the ass for a while. Make sure you send bug reports to the mantis tracker for Toady.

https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10991

I didn't find any similar bug report for adventurer's mode sites, so I created my own. Make sure to comment it and link to your own bug report.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 09:07:10 am »

wait I just notice camp sites will save any changes if you unload them including moving them over a smaller bandit camp ... which ended up saving the camp with all the loot the bandits took, their corpses, and the handless bandit leader when I move the personal camp several miles away from the major camp.
also all the items on the bandit camp seem to copy over to the advcamp as taking anything from the bandit camp and returning it to the advcamp will cause the item to vanish from your adventurer's inventory and appear right in the spot the bandit camp had place it.

so chances are yeah Advcamps Save Everything constantly.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 05:14:47 pm »

Come on folks. Comment with your input under my bug report!

I had speed of 2(2), so I went to dwarven hillock sector besides. Lag let go and everything was on normal speed. When I killed around 20 animals, mostly ravens and piled them in one spot I returned to my tavern sector and game slowed down to 1(1) with around 30 secs waiting time each move. Unbearable.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 10:15:41 am »

Hmm it seems to be impossible to create a new account on the bug tracker for me, it's supposed to send out a verification email but it never does (yes I've checked the spam-box). I also can't access the account I had six years ago for similar reasons. I'll just post the information here, and hope that someone with access to the bugtracker can upload it there.

This seems to be related to some older bug reports, for example this one:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6015
As you can see in the later comments on this bug-report it reproduced in adventure mode too. From what I remember toady thought he fixed (this bug report is closed) but it does seem to resurface on occasion.

Definitely try to upload a save game if you have one, as it is hard to reproduce.

I've also observed similar behaviour in recent versions myself, but that was always in heavily modded games and when I tried to reproduce it on purpose in unmodded games for a bug report it failed to reproduce.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:56:05 am by Bralbaard »

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 10:56:54 am »

I had to start to monitor this bug it seems, but now the file (http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14173) with the bugged game save is added in a comment.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:00:57 am by Sarmatian123 »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 11:03:20 am »

There's definitly something wrong with the bug-tracker. In addition to my failure to access my account or create a new one earlier, it is giving security popups and warnings.
Here is another relevant (old) bug report:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6491

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 02:25:28 am »

I've added your suggestions to the bug report. Let's hope it is easily fixable. ;)

Cpoffers

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 07:00:07 pm »

So, after spending several days exploring, foraging for exotic fruits and vegetables, getting drunk, telling stories and finally figuring out how the "Take it easy" focus works, I return to my site to find, well...

To say the lag made the game literally unplayable is an understatement.

Managed to make a duplicate of a save file this time, though I don't know for sure how useful it'll be.

(Unfortunately, can't do anything on the bug-report side of things, because I'm having the same not-receiving-email-needed-to-make-an-account problem)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 04:19:17 am »

So, after spending several days exploring, foraging for exotic fruits and vegetables, getting drunk, telling stories and finally figuring out how the "Take it easy" focus works, I return to my site to find, well...

To say the lag made the game literally unplayable is an understatement.

Managed to make a duplicate of a save file this time, though I don't know for sure how useful it'll be.

(Unfortunately, can't do anything on the bug-report side of things, because I'm having the same not-receiving-email-needed-to-make-an-account problem)

Can you upload the save to bugged saves section at http://dffd.bay12games.com/index.php ? If you could, then I would link it on bugtracker, also letting them know about your issues with reporting.