Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why do you play Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 3807 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you play Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 04:39:56 pm »

DF's emergent narrative capabilities amaze me above anything else. There's something incredible to me about starting a DF game and realizing that I'm the only person who will ever witness firsthand this exact story, with these exact characters, taking place in this exact world. I'm confident that updates like the myth arc will only make that feeling stronger as procedurally-generated worlds gradually become more and more unique and complex by default.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:51:08 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you play Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 08:00:20 pm »

it's a fascinating game. I never thought I'd be this into a game that involves this much attention to detail, but I can actually keep a fortress going for a pretty long time, or at least until my framerate tanks.
i had a fortress that had been reduced to a framerate of four or five. ended up exporting it to a different machine and retiring it on my laptop. (the 450 ish animals might have something to do with that....)
haven't had much luck embarking in an Evil biome yet...
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.
Pages: 1 2 [3]