Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question concerning the story-telling  (Read 910 times)

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question concerning the story-telling
« on: January 03, 2019, 10:18:35 am »

After some months without DF (last version was 43.05) I've started a fresh run with 44.12 and I'm kinda headscratching at the moment.

If you want to make a performance and choose the option "Tell a story" you are able to choose the topic - whether about persons and beasts, sites, regions, etc.
I don't know if I misremember but I'm fairly certain I could choose my own name to make a performance about my heroic deeds I accomplished. This doesn't work anymore as my name in the game doesn't show up in said list. This wouldn't be so tragic as I could choose the names of beasts I slew...but, despite the fact that it says "persons and beasts" there are no names of any beasts I encountered, killed and boosted my reputation with by telling everyone about their deaths. The only names are of people I met and random persons I never encountered or heard about - no wonder that I can't tell anyone about them because I don't know anything about them.

Therefore my question: Is this a bug (maybe related to the new "assuming identy"-update) or does it work as intended (this would be a pity)?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Question concerning the story-telling
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 11:11:22 am »

well one could dive back to an older version to see if this is true, but from what I can tell you can only tell tales of your actions via remembering the locations of where the event went down.
otherwise not really.

though on the subject of reputations their been recent discoveries on the locals don't really know anything even what they ask you to do, until you ask them back about said subject.
also considering you need to talk to someone or have someone mention them to get their name and have your character remember them enough to make a performance, they might never even pop up in the list of foes slain by you, unless someone mentions oh hey we been terrorized by so n so. which by then you probably get your character to remember oh yeah I met and killed them,

then there's the whole bestiary thing where the folks you talk to might not even know what a cat is, or another human or dwarf or goblin, and peasants are very very lacking in knowledge which leads to them saying it's inevitable for rumors, which after being told this said rumor they will remember this.

imagine trying to build fame off folks who Don't know who anyone is or what anyone is with tales of murdering a beast, luckily there royals who know fair small selection of folks who you can talk to and build a relationship of that one person who kill stuff good but other wise also kind of have that "what's a dog" problem their underlings also have.

though this is what I notice in Human towns so the other sites probably alot different.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question concerning the story-telling
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:17:32 pm »

Actually, testing was what I did.  ;D

Apparently I misremembered. Sort of. I could tell storys about my heroic deeds of slaying innocent townsfolk bringing peace to towns. But only by choosing the name of the ones I slew pacified. The most important thing is that I have to learn their names before I kill them - and because I can't talk to myself to learn my name and creatures don't talk at all, the only storys I can tell about myself are if I slay sapient beings who introduce themselves to me. (Same goes for claiming sites - shouting to noone (because there is noone left alive...) doesn't give any claiming context to sites, talking to a nearly dead person (who will be pacified after talking to me) and claiming the site in attendance of his soon cold body does the trick.)

I guess that's the good news: Nothing changed and my memory gives tribute to my age.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:19:26 pm by SaD-82 »