Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Elona - Roguelike JRPG  (Read 31238 times)

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elona - Roguelike JRPG
« on: January 05, 2019, 03:25:23 pm »

Homepage?:
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Board:News_and_Announcements

There are also a lot of various forks of Elona out there. I'll have to get some free time and put up the links to them. A lot of already been posted in this thread.

Also, yup I know there is a thread already with a ton of posts:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83097.0

Except, the original post doesn't have a working link to the game right in the opening of the thread. So that is the main why decided to make a new thread. There has been some updates too, on the wiki page. And, the last activity in that thread was from all the way back almost exactly a year ago.

Now for the game.

I remember playing it a while back, last year in fact when that other thread last got a post. I played as a shopkeeper and went into dungeons to get items to sale in my shop, and also had a farm going. I even kept a breeding ranch of various and animals and people (you can have a ranch for farming people) for eggs and other things. Can tame a lot of creatures as well, though I didn't get too much into that so I can't say how it works. But the game has a ton of content and will definitely offer 100s if not 1000s of hours of game time.

As for versions. There is a few it seems. Three that I see/found are vanilla Elona, Elona +, and Omake Overhaul (English). There seems to be some other versions floating around, but the latter two seem to be the two main ones

Apparently as far as Omake is concerned. It has infinite progression, but doesn't have all the acts/story to the game. That last part I'm not 100% sure of, so I'll edit that if its wrong. Omake is however regarded as an enhanced vanilla Elona but with a hefty grind from what I've seen it described as.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 04:17:56 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Elona - Roguelike JRPG
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 06:15:05 pm »

Still better to use the main thread, it's easy enough to drop links for anyone who asks.

And the probable best fork right now is Elona+ Custom, a fork based on Elona+, whose raison d'etre is full translation of all Japanese text to English. The most current stable version is E+C 1.84.1.

There are also further forks of E+C like E+C-G which have added additional improvements/undone core E+ changes that proved unpopular.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 05:25:48 am »

I even kept a "breeding" ranch of.... um...hello undercover FBI...girls...and was able to get eggs from them

what
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 05:50:54 am »

Silly quirk of the game. you can breed any pet/companion and because the type "little girl" is one you can breed them thus the FBI joke i assume.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 06:36:40 am »

I don't think the authorities in Palmia don't actually care what you do on your... breeding ranch, just as long as you pay your damn taxes.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 08:37:37 am »

One of many quirks. Much like prostituting yourself to make an extra buck, but being so bad at sex that your client goes insane and commits suicide afterwards.

Or attempting to busk in the city, and being stoned to death for your musical ineptitude.

Or getting peckish and eating your paper flamberge.

Or putting a sailor in a pokeball.

Or aliens.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 03:30:47 pm »

Silly quirk of the game. you can breed any pet/companion and because the type "little girl" is one you can breed them thus the FBI joke i assume.

Yeah that is why. A bad B grade joke. Maybe I'll remove it and replace it with something more serious. But that is why cause in Elona you can breed little girls at ranches. And anything with little girls on the internet (at least I see it in MMOs) people joke/meme about the undercover FBI.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:35:29 pm by Trolldefender99 »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 05:36:11 pm »

Are they FBI because they're women, or because they're kids?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 01:33:35 am »

Yes

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 02:46:58 am »

Elona is great, and I feel you're kind of underselling it. It's not just "anime game with little girls", it's an amazingly large roguelike with elements of emergent gameplay. I got caught in an etherstorm and developed crippling mutations which prevented me from planning any major dungeon, and lowered my charisma practically to the negatives.

I embarked on a quest for about a month just to get the resources for a blessed potion of corruption. By the end of it, I had built a trade empire of shops and museums and was making so much money, I could buy all the potions of cure corruption I ever wanted. I had also tamed a wyvern and recruited a powerful orc captain. This was all before I was out of the first map.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 11:05:59 am »

The first map ain't empty of things to do.  Practically could just be the whole game in my opinion.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 02:04:02 pm »

I removed the FBI joke and replaced it with something more serious. At the time I kinda thought it was funny for such a bad joke, but it does undermine Elona itself and kinda ruins the point of the thread. And the game is great and offers a ton of content.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 02:21:00 pm »

I have tried four times to play this game. What does it mean about me as a player that owning museums and inciting suicide with my sexual ineptitude were what convinced me to download it again?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 02:43:35 pm »

Probably the same thing that makes dwarf fortress catsplosions, carps and all the other shenanigans that happens amusing.

Oh, and if anyone knows. Last time i played was elona+ 1.60. Any major changes?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:57:21 pm by Ivefan »

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 07:06:22 am »

Ah Elona. A game I haven't played for years.
I have fond memories of my Mutant pianist playtrough.
Was nearly stoned to death many times but after hours of playing my piano to random rabbits and slimes I became good enough that when I played my piano Instead of stones people would throw panties at me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13