Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Elona - Roguelike JRPG  (Read 31253 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Elona - Roguelike JRPG
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2019, 05:39:48 pm »

Congrats! It took me a long time to actually get to act 2 myself, although that was mostly just me turning away from adventuring and going instead of meme-y segues.

A warning though, as you head into act 2 and start doing harder dungeons; requirements for lockpicking and disarm traps increases considerably. So be sure not to let those lag behind. Act 2 has a TON of stronger enemies with equally strong abilities. So be sure your support skills are up to scratch.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2019, 01:51:42 pm »

TIL cave-nefia have the best chance of yielding ores when digging. So I dumped some plat into my Mining skill, found a cave and dug out the entire first floor, left and dumped the rest of my plat into Mining skill, returned to the cave and dug out a couple more floors. When I was finished Jure was very happy, all of my pets trained their potentials to the max, and my CON skyrocketed along with my max health.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2019, 09:18:06 pm »

Today I bio-printed a figure of Jure. She did not appreciate the gesture...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2019, 04:55:58 pm »

Any advice on making a martial artist run into less of a grindfest?

Was watching One-Punch Man, and thought it might be possible for an Elona character to get that strong.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2019, 09:26:04 pm »

My understanding is that martial arts actually have the highest damage potential in extreme lategame, with the tradeoff of being nearly useless in the early game. So your OPM fantasy may well be possible.
I suggest equipping Claws or Tonfa in each hand. When possible, change materials until they are made from something with good Hit/Dmg bonuses. Craft Repair Kit to max out that potential. Bless them. Enchant them as high as possible. Get some gloves that have Hit/Dmg bonus and do the same. And make sure you keep your potentials up for Tactics and Unarmed.

In my own game, I recently plunged into a lvl 90 graveyard, slightly more daunting than the lvl 70 forests and caves I've been clearing lately. On the first floor, I opened a door and suddenly found myself surrounded by so many Legion Mages. Not particularly strong individually, but they were everywhere, and they all wanted to blind me and debuff my resistances and then whittle me down with foul magics. I summoned all of my most overpowered reserve pets. I had a Smash Ogre sweeping away multiple magi with each wave of her club. I had a flaming dragon wielding a massive greataxe, shrugging off vile spells while effortlessly bisecting mages with each strike. I had a twintailed cat wielding a living spear while riding a giant tarantula with a longsword; the tarantula would coat his blade in paralytic venom, stunning his foes with each strike and making them easy prey for the cat's bloodthirsty weapon. I had a tiny robot girl riding atop a giant sentient bell; together they created a literal hail of throwing knives and crossbow bolts which swept away opponents before they could even realize they were under attack. And I had a dark angel spraying a combination of bullets and disgusting insults at her foes as she charged hand in hand with a noble paladin who shielded her from harm while chanting words of holy prayer to mend the party's wounds.

All of this, and yet true to their name the Legion seemed endless; for each mage we cut down, two more would take it's place, and more than once when I thought I had beaten them I would find another wave emerging from some shadowy corner of the room. When the onslaught was finally really over, nearly half of my party had fallen; I was happy to expend some of my reserve of resurrection spells so that we could continue exploring this necropolis.

On down to the second sublevel of this dungeon, I found myself confined within narrow hallways. The very first door I opened contained cursing manticores, skeletal dragons, and another swarm of legion mages. Trying to fight the legion in these narrow hallways proved a fatal mistake, and I quickly lost two more pets. Weary of this fight, I opted to utilize a smoke bomb and run away. This Nefia was in a fever and it pained me to leave behind all those valuable resource nodes, but this fight was simply beyond my level. Someday I will be ready, but I'm sure by then this graveyard will have long since vanished to wherever it is these things go when the ground trembles and the terrain shifts, as it does from time to time. It seems I am not destined to ever learn what might have waited for me at the bottom of this crypt.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2019, 10:17:13 pm »

Was watching One-Punch Man, and thought it might be possible for an Elona character to get that strong.
Unless you're playing a mod like Elona+CG or on Overdose/Purge, everything is going to be a grind.

All I can suggest is use a crutch to survive and focus on as few extraneous skills as possible to maximize platinum/bonus points into martial arts.

Martial arts gets a ton of bonuses as it increases, including the all important pierce; but it's a slow grind early on.

Also, weapon skills get a ton of experience when fighting something with high evade. No idea how to exploit that, but it's there.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:18:48 pm by Blaze »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2019, 10:46:06 pm »

Also, weapon skills get a ton of experience when fighting something with high evade. No idea how to exploit that, but it's there.

Mechanical Binder would be the way to go. Create a sealed dungeon in your basement and summon monsters until you get something with high level but relatively low damage and no magic. Spam attacks for a minute while doing no damage, until your potential has plummeted, then go train and come back for more. When you are done you can use a house board to seal off the area where you summoned the monster and keep him contained until you need him again.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2019, 10:53:36 am »

It occurs to me that although it would be a grind, if I had the goal of obtaining high levels within 3 years ala OPM's backstory, it might be doable-ish.  Three years in Elona is a long time.  It would require equipment that protects from Etherwind and Weather, so I can keep fighting regardless of the weather.  I can probably fight it out in Etherwind, using Potions of Cure Corruption to avoid dying and the more horrible mutations.

I suspect the best race would be Yerles, as the extra points would help, although Elea might be better with the 3 year goal for the Etherwind protection.  Eulderna might be the best overall for the magic resist, as magic is probably the greater risk for most of the game.

The more important question is what to wish for?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2019, 02:49:25 pm »

Also, you suck at fighting at the start, so rely heavily on pets at first while you beat on things for skill xp to train.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2019, 05:12:58 pm »

It occurs to me that although it would be a grind, if I had the goal of obtaining high levels within 3 years ala OPM's backstory, it might be doable-ish.  Three years in Elona is a long time.  It would require equipment that protects from Etherwind and Weather, so I can keep fighting regardless of the weather.  I can probably fight it out in Etherwind, using Potions of Cure Corruption to avoid dying and the more horrible mutations.

I suspect the best race would be Yerles, as the extra points would help, although Elea might be better with the 3 year goal for the Etherwind protection.  Eulderna might be the best overall for the magic resist, as magic is probably the greater risk for most of the game.

The more important question is what to wish for?

Seven league boots first, I'd say. They're vital for getting around quickly, which you'll need more than ever with a time limit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2019, 02:35:25 am »

I just found a fork of the Beautify cosmetic pack that has been updated for the current version of E+!
I absolutely love the new music, and the new sprites look great. Going to take some getting used to though.

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2019, 07:48:36 am »

You want the https://elona.fandom.com/wiki/Shield_Tonfa, it will greatly strengthen your character-Martial arts runs are what I do.

You'll want to get tactics as it is applied to your martial arts.

https://elona.fandom.com/wiki/Kaneituuhou you also want this, as the hit bonus also applies to your martial arts.

Also get that helm that sees invisible enemies-they appear more frequently in later levels and are annoying.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2019, 08:33:57 am »

https://elona.fandom.com/wiki/Kaneituuhou you also want this, as the hit bonus also applies to your martial arts.

The coin should be something you get early-ish. Yactect is a reasonable first god (unless you want to start with one or two you don't want the weapon for, to help train faith), because money is mostly a concern early game. And a pet that shits platinum coins is nice when you are trying to gain all of the skills (also early game).

Other suggestion for training (once you can handle fire and other issues) is an item that attracts monsters. Again, those can summon anything act-appropriate (I think), so have good resists and don't use it in a town you don't want to nuke.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2019, 11:01:20 am »

E+1.91 was just released, bringing some new quests and monsters.
Almost at the same time, E+C1.90 was released, bringing new uniques and materials to the more translated branch. This update came from Sableye, who stated that he sadly does not intend to continue maintaining the Custom branch. Still, this update is most welcome and unexpected!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2019, 11:06:34 am »

That sucks. The custom branch was the one I liked. Back to "no translations without piss and weird balance changes"?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13