Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Elona - Roguelike JRPG  (Read 31284 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: Elona - Roguelike JRPG
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2022, 02:59:59 pm »

Thanks!

So far, died from overwork by harvesting few flowers, cutting down two trees, making workbench and campfire, then removing last 4 HPs out of 11 by trying to catch fish.  ;D ::) Game looks very neat, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Perhaps new thread is in order? Although, demo is supposed to end on first map.
EDIT2:
Raw food log?  :o This is supposed to be fish, i think.
EDIT3:
Went into nearby test room, found some grotesquery.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 03:11:59 pm by MCreeper »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2022, 04:13:33 pm »

You can, and must, visit at least one other town to pay your taxes.

Several towns are implemented. You can take jobs for cash + items. My biggest concern is that I apparently can't get any decent armor.

I still can't, so...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ty2hwOAHkBxvTXnH-UXFwD54AfmkpnVn/view?usp=share_link

Elin Alpha 9-2 is out!
I was skeptical of Elin, but must admit that after playing for just a couple of hours, I absolutely love everything I'm seeing so far.
Mind reposting it for us?  ;D

Also, we're at least up to version Alpha 9-3.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2023, 07:49:25 pm »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BXxcK0t1zkJFn-5mVaX93OabUFJKrVnO/view
Up to Alpha 9.6 now, with new releases almost every day. And it seems that the dev has figured out how to update the existing link so it shouldn't change any more.

Yeah, all of the crazy antics from Elona seem to have carried over. You can still enslave armies of little girls to fight for you, and accept quests to help townsfolk who want to poison their in-laws, and spar with sentient bells to train your evasion to godly levels.
The major change seems to be in your homestead, which has been greatly expanded with many options for building elaborate bases, inviting NPC's to live there, farming crops and livestock, and tons of crafting stuff.

The frequent updates and occasional progress-breaking between them, as well as the dozens of bugs being reported every day, make the prospect of investing too much time in this alpha unpalatable. Still, I'm very much enjoying watching other people post screenshots of their buildings and tell stories of their exploits in the Discord channel.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2023, 01:41:29 am »

The frequent updates and occasional progress-breaking between them, as well as the dozens of bugs being reported every day, make the prospect of investing too much time in this alpha unpalatable. Still, I'm very much enjoying watching other people post screenshots of their buildings and tell stories of their exploits in the Discord channel.
Version now Alpha 9.7...
Heh, that reminds me of Elona.  Whenever I got the itch to play it, there was a new version out.  I eventually just stuck with an older version, since most of the updates were to later parts of the game that I've never seen.  But yeah, Elin certainly reminds me of Elona, just newer.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2023, 06:35:58 am »

It's a bit of a hassle to get Elona up and running on Linux - and my phone doesn't have Google Play Services, so I can't do the mobile version.

But damn do I want to. Reading about has got me hooked. I'll see what's the easiest version to get going and see how it goes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2023, 07:44:55 pm »

It's a bit of a hassle to get Elona up and running on Linux - and my phone doesn't have Google Play Services, so I can't do the mobile version.

But damn do I want to. Reading about has got me hooked. I'll see what's the easiest version to get going and see how it goes.

It's tough to say, because newer versions did things that both reduced difficulty/grind (goose god pet off the top of my head) and increased it (can't breed a certain monster for -xp potions anymore). A newer version is probably as easy to get into as the old ones, although it will have a lot more options. It also forces you to retire a character and play as their children, which does at least get you trying different combinations.

I haven't been paying attention, so hopefully someone explains what the most reasonable fork to play is. I am guessing it's custom-gx, but who knows. Elin is probably also a good starting point, if you don't mind an unfinished game.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2023, 08:17:12 am »

Some of the earlier versions of Elona are plain unfinished. Of course, I never left North Tyris, so this might not be as important as it seems.
I do like the versions where the guy outside the Cyber Dome is translated, however.

Elin is great for just playing around, though.  It's bigger than the demo message says.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2023, 12:21:05 pm »

Elona plus has 3 acts, and a lot of unique power gaming possibilities.

Omake has just the first act, but deeply extends and enhances vanilla power gaming mechanics.

Both are excellent and feel very different. As odd as it sounds I personally think plus feels more like vanilla, but thays just my opinion. There is a discord for both on the elkna wiki.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2023, 02:27:44 pm »

The original Elona only had the 1st act (and it was already a full game content), on my favorite (Elona+Custom-G) variant i usually stopped playing after completing the 1st act as the southern continent didn't felt much attractive. But that was several years ago (last time i beat Zeome was in 2019) , how are act 2 and act 3 nowadays ?
I remember at the time i played act 2 wasn't much finished (and nowhere as packed with content as the act 1)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 07, 2023, 08:05:54 pm »

Just an update in case anyone runs into it - if you have steam you can easily run Elona through it and the Proton emulation layer. Works like a charm.

Played a bit then got distracted by DF and Kerbal Space Program, so for now, it will gather dust on the shelf.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2023, 06:51:08 am »

I'd been trying the Elin's Inn alpha, and it is making me nostalgic for Elona.

But I don't really want to boot up elona because the whole farming->cooking->fusion crafting (picnics) and pet cooking meta strategy for managing stat potentials is tiresome. But I will probably end up playing it again anyway because I can't think of anything that offers quite that the same broad variety of activities (farming, ranching, shops, shipping, crafting scrolls/potions/equipment, investment, variety of gods with their individual benefits, pet system, melee/ranged/magic and skills, and probably a bunch more that I'm forgetting). Probably whatever version the latest +CustomGX is.

PS: Do you have to micromanage your shop pet for training its potential? That is, they're staying in your shop full time so they can never go back to the city and train potential. Do they train it overtime even if they stay in the shop? Or is it enough to have a good, static negotiation/charisma pet and only worry about upgrading it when you can capture something better?

Edit:
It takes 8 negotiation to get up to 10% purchase price, 40 to get up to 20% purchase price, and 98 Negotiation to get to 30% purchase price. The maximum value of 36% is reached at 213 negotiation.
So I guess potential doesn't really matter all that much. Make do with something in the 20 range, eventually capture something in the 40-90 range and forget about it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 07:06:07 am by Niveras »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 15, 2023, 07:17:58 am »

They added ways to train shop pets using bronze coins you earn from quests; to counterbalance the "shop specialization" mechanic.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2023, 08:39:47 pm »

They added ways to train shop pets using bronze coins you earn from quests; to counterbalance the "shop specialization" mechanic.
It's probably the best use for bronze coins. They're quite useless otherwise, I think.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2023, 02:36:45 pm »

Elin's Kickstarter went up today. They hit their goal within 45 minutes!

All of the more expensive packages sold out quickly, but there are still some "Younger Sister" packs available for those who want some sweet swag.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2023, 04:20:47 pm »

Checked the kickstarter article, at the freedom section and not sure if there's not some missing word in that description, but anyways got a good laugh from this :D
The freedom of gameplay favored in the previous game will be further enhanced in Elin. In addition to familiar activities such as exploring, dungeons crawling, crafting, trading, questing, and living, you can also build a variety of facilities. From a simple store to museums of artifacts, a deserted farming village to a bustling mega city. And of course, no one will stop you from building a home full of warm-hearted younger sisters or a farm you can make love with your chickens.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13