Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Elona - Roguelike JRPG  (Read 30835 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Elona - Roguelike JRPG
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2019, 07:44:20 pm »

During my current run i tried to keep my medals so i could buy other things instead of buying a see invisible helmet like i always did with past characters.

This time i was planning to find a see invisible artifact item somewhere else, after all Elona is a long grind with billions of items generated during all those dungeons and bosses clearing, so i imagined in the hundred of randomly generated artifacts i would find, there would at least be one with that power , right ?

Wrong,  after completing the whole 1st chapter of Elona+C-G , i have not found a single see invisible item, enduring so much of those super annoying fights with invisible monsters that i really regretted not buying this helm.

lesson in Elona+ : don't count on your luck with artifact generation, just buy the damn helmet when you have enough medals for it

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2019, 03:58:46 pm »

Yeah, with the new continents, there are more than enough medals for whatever you need. I ended up with like 200 medals before my game got corrupted, because I couldn't find anything I wanted that badly.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2019, 08:48:04 pm »

I was so happy when that cute werewolf girl got sucked into my pokeball!
But then I opened the pokeball, and a were-dude popped out. Must have been a defective pokeball...
Oh well. He's melted down for genetic material now.

Still wanting a new pet, I pulled from retirement the Black Angel that Lulwy granted me a while back. I armed her with a Griffon and a Blood Moon, then I sifted through my leftover artifact pile for a heavy shield and some plate armor, threw a few change material scrolls at it and she ended up with over 200 PV. Pretty decent imo, considering I didn't dip into my superior material scrolls or godly items. So now I have an evil fairy who flies around shooting half the enemies from a distance, and the other half she charges up to their face, insults them, then proceeds to bash them with her fire mace while shrugging off any counterattacks. I'm looking forward to seeing what she can really do when her skills get trained up.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2019, 05:20:39 pm »

So 1.88R came out with a bunch of new weapons and the possibility to play a pacifist playthrough.

Sadly still nothing to counter the skill grindfest.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2019, 08:52:15 pm »

If you go to the pet arena often, you might wait a little longer. There's a bug in which pets will just spam those new non-violent special actions mentioned earlier.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2019, 06:35:21 pm »

I just now figured out how to use E+C's custom pet AI...suddenly my pets are attacking consistently, rather than wasting half their time derping about!

I'm slightly concerned that my Smash Ogre borders on exploitatious however, as she spams her pbaoe without apparent energy issues, with each hit landing twice as hard as my Dragon's adamantium claymore which used to be the heavy hitter in my party. She hasn't yet mastered control magic though, so I consider that something of a tradeoff.

Also, I've become somewhat irked by my Kentaurs. She was a great mount for a while, but lately she's become extremely hungry, which causes her to eat raw food off the ground even when told not to do so. When I feed her until she's satisfied, she just gets hungry again within about 10 turns. I wish I knew how to help her.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2019, 07:29:02 pm »

You can give your pets stacks of food to last them for quite some time. Pets are still limited to 20 item slots max (including equipment), but the amount of food in a given slot is only limited by their carry weight. Keep in mind that food in pet inventories will still rot.

E+C's custom pet AI does have an "energy" formula to keep custom pets from spamming powerful skill; although they don't suffer speed penalties for low stamina like the player does.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2019, 09:56:03 pm »

You can give your pets stacks of food to last them for quite some time.

The problem here is I'm using this pet as my mount, so she would get interrupted every time she tries to eat from her inventory.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2019, 03:09:35 am »

Try giving your mount food that is more filling then. I generally use herbed in food or stomafillia, both of which are plentiful from a properly set up herb farm.

Also things like rice balls, which are both incredibly filling, come in packs of 10, and take 2 turns to eat compared to regular food.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:11:15 am by Blaze »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2019, 05:03:51 am »

I've fed her rice balls, and blessed food. I share herbed food with my pets when I can make it, but I don't have enough herb seeds to keep a steady supply.

The issue is that this Kentaurs is getting hungry at least 4x more frequently compared to any of my other pets. Even the most filling foods just don't last very long.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2019, 08:20:55 am »

Try giving your mount food that is more filling then. I generally use herbed in food or stomafillia, both of which are plentiful from a properly set up herb farm.

properly set up herb farm.

I keep reading about successful herb farms, from people who apparently have like 60 of the seed-shitting fairies or something.

I ran every harvest quest I ever found, had 2 plant-rezzing medal things, around 100 gardening, and never had enough herb seeds. Is there a seed vault you can raid or something?

So 1.88R came out with a bunch of new weapons and the possibility to play a pacifist playthrough.

There was a violent playstyle? I thought the point of the game is that there are super adventurers and world-changing events you could be involved with, but instead you play house and help townsfolk with stupid errands. I mean, your character specifically can't make long-term changes to anything, while plot characters can.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2019, 01:38:44 pm »

You can give your pets stacks of food to last them for quite some time. Pets are still limited to 20 item slots max (including equipment), but the amount of food in a given slot is only limited by their carry weight. Keep in mind that food in pet inventories will still rot.

E+C's custom pet AI does have an "energy" formula to keep custom pets from spamming powerful skill; although they don't suffer speed penalties for low stamina like the player does.

I have never had pets eat as they get hungry if I give them more than 1 food at a time. Even if the items do not rot and are not cursed, when they get hungry again I will have to feed them directly. I've specifically wanted an item that I could fill with food that pets would simply eat out by themselves if they are hungry and adjacent to you, because it is tedious having to go through dialogue and into their inventory screen every time they get hungry, especially if you have more than 1 pet and they're faster than you, and even moreso if one of them is your mount.

It is possible this has changed in between the various Elona+ and custom updates.

properly set up herb farm.
I keep reading about successful herb farms, from people who apparently have like 60 of the seed-shitting fairies or something.

Fairies are tedious to manage and they're slow to get, as you must breed a god pet, which has terrible breeding power. Most people instead use dozens of statues of kumiromi, duplicated via the little sister quest. However, the statue is a reward from a quest in Act 2.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:43:14 pm by Niveras »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2019, 06:34:40 pm »

You can give your pets stacks of food to last them for quite some time.
I have never had pets eat as they get hungry if I give them more than 1 food at a time.

E+C's custom pet AI submenu, available when talking to them, has an option to toggle pets eating from their inventory automatically when they get hungry.
Without this option, or using other versions of Elona, you are correct that they only eat food that was just given to them.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2019, 04:11:40 am »

I have used custom's pet AI for several pets, but I guess I always missed that option. Looking at it again, it is the only option under "Other Settings" so I don't know how I would have missed it.

It is looking likely I was wrong about never seeming them eat food from their own inventory, and any memory otherwise was only from before using that option.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2019, 01:37:02 pm »

Act 1 clear!
I am now officially farther than I ever got on previous adventures. Though the last time I played there was not yet an Act 2, so I had little incentive to finish the first one.

I dove into the final Nefia of Lesmias with 6 pets, starting with my Silver Kentaurs mount, a Black Angel, and a Giant Burning Spider. The spider died in an ambush of skeleton mages on lvl 27, and got replaced with my Twintail whom I evolved from my starter pet. A named assassin and her crew on lvl 30 took out my Twintail and Black Angel, but they were avenged by my Smash Ogre and Adult Dragon Flame. The ogre and dragon took some cuts and bruises, but managed to survive to the final floor where they joined me in victory!

Now onward to Act 2. I'm scared...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13