Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jopax does stuff (again)  (Read 2336 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Jopax does stuff (again)
« on: December 11, 2018, 07:59:39 pm »

Righto, due to some recent conversations and thinking I've been doing I figured it was time to kick this whole art thing into a higher gear. Part of that kicking would be having a more consistent output, as well as pushing my comfort zone as well as skills further out.

With that in mind, here's this thread thing (I know there's atleast one more of mine but that's rather ancient at this point and I don't feel like dredging it up from the depths), mostly to keep me beholden to some sort of loose posting schedule (wether it be studies, practice or finished pieces) as an added layer against sliding back into laziness. Of course, comments, critiques and requests are more than welcome.

To start it off, here's some recent sketches and similar, with more to come on a daily basis I guess.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The next couple of months will probably be focused on perspective excercises and some minor series of works (starting with just doing a bunch of aircraft of various sorts) and afterwards I'll see what'll come next.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Jopax does stuff (again)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 03:35:35 pm »

Spoiler: Some stuff from today (click to show/hide)
AS - IG

Bay3rz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 12:03:27 am »

Nice!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 06:42:09 pm »

Also missed yesterday because it seems I operate on a spring principle, for every positive action there's going to be a negative snapback :V

Anyways, kinda back on track today, some more plane stuff:

Did the CDC as well but I'm waiting for the group to approve the post before sharing it, so prolly tommorrow, was damn fun too :D
AS - IG

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 05:54:23 am »

Excellentamundo

I always race to click the spoiler button as soon as i see you posting drawings. Probably won't be able to provide much in the ways of critique, but who knows, maybe i'll be able to find a nitpick or two over the coming months. :V
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 06:31:30 pm »

Thanks broski, means a lot ^^

Anyways, here's the CDC thingy, theme was pokemans, this was fun enough that I'm thinking a couple of more takes on the idea might be worth a shot

Spoiler: Kingler (click to show/hide)
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 07:10:18 pm »

Some grounded stuff this time around, wheels are still a proper bitch but I feel somewhat more confident in pulling them off now as opposed to wildly stabbing at it until it looks least-wrong I did until recently xD
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 05:46:20 pm »

Spoiler: PLAAAAAANEEEEEESSSSSS (click to show/hide)
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 04:10:00 pm »

Kinda forgot to post yesterday :V

Here's the stuff, not too happy with the chopper, was kinda lazy If I'm being honest xd

AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 04:41:22 pm »

Ngh, now that I'm more or less back in functional health, time to give this thing a kick-start.

Still not quite there but hopefully a couple of days of continous work are gonna grind off the roughness :V
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 05:44:32 pm »

So, aside from being daunting working on A3 format it's a proper pain in the dick to take photos from a reasonable distance that include the whole thing as well as omit half your damn room in the process :V
AS - IG

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 07:19:57 am »

Mmm, dat hatching, very nice! Also have to say that the thingy on the side of the turret kinda looks like an eye, and then the thing above it looks like an accompanying eyebrow. I approve. :V
I feel like there's a minor mismatch between the shadow on the barrel and the uh, conical thing where the barrel attaches; the jump is a bit too large perhaps?

Also the perspective on those planes is just right, especially the first one. It is a joy to look at!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 01:43:57 pm »

Yah, that jump is partly not being able to do smooth shadow transitions of a rounded object with something as hard edged as hatching and partly my fuckup on the barrel shadow where I just kinda draped half of it in shadow instead of noticing how it kinda tapered towards that end :V

And thanks, it's suprising how much of a difference even a couple of days of focused perspective practice can make in certain cases.

Anyways, since my material rendering is kinda shit here's a study of a beercan that went mostly ok. Being unable to color pick to even check if you're in the right timezone in terms of value and color is a pain in the ass to put it mildly.
AS - IG

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 10:18:46 pm »

oh damn Jopax is drawing in 2019 and I didn't know??????? PTW for SURE

Ink work is on point as usual