Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burning Planets ~ A free wargame  (Read 1911 times)

The Hermit King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burning Planets ~ A free wargame
« on: January 07, 2019, 01:02:41 pm »

Hello everyone! I'm here to show you the fruit of my latest efforts: Burning Planets, a strategic tabletop war game, with a space colonization setting, where the players fight using fleets of spaceships to get control of planets and, in the end, become the final conquerors of a planetary system!

I'm an artisan and a videogame programmer, and when I started creating the rules for this game as a game design exercise, I decided that I liked a lot how it came out, I think it's a fun game and it should be given a try by the lovers of the genre. Because of this, I prepared everything as a printable set, so with a color printer and some paper you can start playing right away! And for the same reason, the game is just free, and it always will be, I just want it to be played, I don't care for earning from it.

This is the game's page: http://www.thehermitking.com/burning-planets/

I hope many of you will try it, and if you do, tell me if you enjoyed it!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:52:46 pm by The Hermit King »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Burning Planets ~ A free wargame
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 04:09:00 am »

Intriguing.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

The Hermit King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 05:57:15 pm »

That's surely a nice thing to hear, thank you!  :)

The Hermit King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 11:31:47 am »

As I was asked from some players I added a dowloadable folder with all the game's files. Since the size was above my websites' max file size, I had to use an external hosting for it, hence the external link.

I also added some pictures to give a better idea of how the game looks without the need to look at the files.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 07:50:40 pm »

This looks super nice. Will definitely check it out later.

Thanks for making it public.

The Hermit King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 12:54:36 pm »

Some people asked about the availability of a physical set, so I made a new post about it where I explain why there isn't a physical set already:
http://www.thehermitking.com/developing-burning-planets-in-a-physical-game/

Long story short: to make the game cheap enough to have a reasonable price I would need to buy some stuff in bulk, but that means some thousands of euros of investment before knowing if I would even be able to sell all that stuff after buying it, and I cannot afford it. If interest continues to grow at this rate I will make a kickstarter campaign to fund the start of the game's production!

I also added a "Community" page in the main menu, where you can login/register to post comments!

EDIT: I changed the membership system, so now Community is the list of members, the login/registration is in a top bar like most forums now.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:53:00 pm by The Hermit King »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 07:47:57 am »

I'm currently trying my hand at recycling HDPC, by combining various methods I came accross. Currently making tests to see if and how much it works, but there's no reason it shouldn't. If it works, if you want, I'll make a tutorial to help you make physical sets for essencially free ($10 of silicon, $50 for a used toaster oven, $50 for a plastic shredder and HDPC is virtually free).

I might just make my own physical set tbh, considering the chips do not need to be extremely detailed

The Hermit King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 05:36:49 pm »

It's a very interesting project Cathar, but I would argue that molten HDPC is probably much more viscous than polyurethane resin, so how would you solve the problem of bubbles when casting such small items?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 08:50:41 pm »

Molten HDPC doesn't produce fumes if you don't burn it, which makes it excellent for recycling (out of all plastic materials), and is readily available. A used toaster oven is great for that, but due to the smell, I've been warned against using the home oven for that. Indeed, caution is warranted.

My first test silicon mold had been cast, and is currently curing. It should be ready tomorrow, I'll report gladly when it's done.

The bubbles...are pretty much a given if you don't have a vacuum chamber as I understand it, but to just make chips it doesn't really matter. Besides I'm aiming for a dirty DIY result for now, if the results are satisfying I'll invest in some more equipment. It doesn't look that arcane, but I want to try with zero cost to myself for starter

The Hermit King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 08:00:02 pm »

Someone told me that Burning Planets should have space themed background tiles. That's obviously true, and it was a planned feature, I just didn't put it in the free set for the sake of easily and cheaply printing many background tiles, but how do you want backgrounds is a choice that should be made from the players not me, so I posted colored and grayscale versions to give you the choice! This link shows you the new post, where you can see the background art and some example images: http://www.thehermitking.com/upgrade-to-burning-planets-free-set/

I'll leave you an example image, so you can get an idea without having to go see on my website if you don't feel like it:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:54:05 pm by The Hermit King »

The Hermit King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 08:37:10 am »

Since I know pretty well that most people aren't used to not find any reference of a project or a person inside Facebook, and they aren't used to follow someone outside the common social networks either, I created a Facebook page to make it easier for everyone and encourage people to follow my work, since I have a very large amount of pageviews and visits, and a lot of people showed interest in my game too asking questions and giving suggestions, but very few decided to register.
You will be able to find my page here: https://www.facebook.com/The-Hermit-King-752209955150825/

The Hermit King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 05:00:14 pm »

Thanks to a friend that volunteered, now the rule book is available in russian too!
You can check other details of the new update in this page: https://www.thehermitking.com/update-2-to-burning-planets-free-set/

A note about the facebook profile I talked about in the last post, since you won't find it: after just 2 days facebook decided to block my account without even telling it. I have no clue why, I can say for sure I have done nothing against the rules, maybe some joker reported me, and even though I gave them a picture and an ID card to verify my identity after they asked for them, they didn't unlock me nor they said anything again. I tried with no luck to find help, they just ignore everything. So, since I cannot remake everything and get a new email address every 2 days, until I won't get them to stop ignoring and unlock my account, I'm not going to make another one.