Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How detrimental is not having armor in adventure mode, in the long term?  (Read 1771 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile

I've been having fun playing as a Saltwater Crocodile man. He's powerful and has been manhandling a lot of things very well. Most notably he strangled a freaking Hippo, and after fighting and wounding/exhausting a Dragon (although only 200 years old) he got on and chomped down on it's throat and throttled it until it bled out. That was pretty sweet. But so far all the quests he's been sent off to do has involved killing beasts and night creatures with no weapons.

However I am a bit concerned about running into sentient enemies with metal weapons, because while he does have a metal shield and sword, he's far too large to wear any armor that exists normally in game. I don't know how much his size or if his scaled crocodillian skin (if even simulated) would help much against metal weapons.

Does anyone have any experience to say how much of a detriment it is playing a large animal man with no metal armor in the long term? It would be nice if I could craft my own even if it would just be bone or leather armor, but it doesn't look like it is possible.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile

I've been playing a human without armour, and it's worked out for me just fine. You have to be careful is all, especially around slashing weapons, and a bit of dodging expertise doesn't hurt.

If the lack of armour still worries you, you could always retire the adventurer for awhile and forge some custom-fit armour in Fortress Mode.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile

Thanks. I've been going for good dodging, but at some point you're going to run out of luck. I guess I'll see how it goes eventually!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile

Carry a shield. It makes a nice backup for when your primary luck fails.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext