Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to kill small animals?  (Read 2128 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
How to kill small animals?
« on: May 05, 2019, 02:53:05 pm »

I tried attacking them but you can't fight them, all you can do is pick them up. How do you dissect or kill slugs, or snails or lice?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: How to kill small animals?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 08:04:24 pm »

Maybe you could put them in a container and set it on fire. You also might be able to eat them if you're starving.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 08:50:34 pm »

I tried attacking them but you can't fight them, all you can do is pick them up. How do you dissect or kill slugs, or snails or lice?

Other than Bumber's suggestion, those critters are vermin which makes them too small to fight/butcher.

They'll have tags in the RAWs like:
[VERMIN_GROUNDER]
   [SMALL_REMAINS]
   [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 10:36:08 pm »

Isn’t there a small animal dissector skill in fortress mode? Or a way to dissect in adventure mode? I tried heating them over a campfire but that didn’t kill them

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 01:15:02 pm »

Isn’t there a small animal dissector skill in fortress mode? Or a way to dissect in adventure mode? I tried heating them over a campfire but that didn’t kill them
Yes, if you want to retire your adventurer in a fort and switch modes. No, not in adv mode yet.

Heating things from the inventory screen doesn't get them hot enough to burn. You'll have to leave them on top of a campfire for a prolonged period, or start a brush fire. You'll need the vermin in a container to stop them from getting away. (Or you could stand in a fire and hope they die before you do, I guess.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 02:32:18 pm »

Yes, if you want to retire your adventurer in a fort and switch modes. No, not in adv mode yet.

Heating things from the inventory screen doesn't get them hot enough to burn. You'll have to leave them on top of a campfire for a prolonged period, or start a brush fire. You'll need the vermin in a container to stop them from getting away. (Or you could stand in a fire and hope they die before you do, I guess.)

Do I have to worry about it turning to ash if its too long?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 03:06:13 pm »

What turning to ash? The fire or the vermin? Fires will burn out in time, leaving ash; but things burnt on a fire will just be destroyed, first getting xwornx then Xvery wornX then XXvery, very wornXX and finally disintegrating. It can take a long time, depending on the size/properties of the object: burning a human corpse usually takes a few fires.

Why do you want to kill small animals, though? There's nothing you can do with their corpses.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 06:44:54 pm »

I thought you could eat them

Is there even a reason to have small animals in adventure mode?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 08:37:38 pm »

Is there even a reason to have small animals in adventure mode?
For throwing?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 06:26:43 am »

Ok, thank you

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 06:37:34 am »

Massacring a small town with a vermin fish? :P
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 06:27:14 am »

To delete items from the game, just jump over the camp fire. Its heat is bearable. Then drop items.

Be very careful what you are dropping. If you drop water or other fluid from your precious leather container, then the precious container will be automatically dropped and deleted too. This is tricky, as spilled fluids will leave pools of their own, if dropped somewhere else. Low temperatures can solidify them in containers though, so you can pick them up and hold them in hand, before dropping. :)

Only issue for now is that campfires not always burn out after 24h in some locations. Also there are some locations, which will prevent creating campfires for no, absolutely no logical reason. :)