Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Don't kill monsters with lairs, build own site or trade personal items.  (Read 5429 times)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Adventure mode can be fun. Though surely a skill grind too sometimes. However there are few things DF wikipedia doesn't clear about adventure mode. Those issues are:

- Don't ever kill named monsters with lairs. The lair's area will get mega spawns of wild animals and after being crazy lagy for a while, it will be crashing at any attempt to approach it.

- Don't ever build own site. The area will become lagy first, for no apparent reason. Then you will be swarmed by sea wave of all kind of animals and lag will become extreme. After a while any attempt to even approach the player's adventurer's site will end in crash.

- Don't trade personal items with dwarves and other beings. Game does some funky reset of their personal gear, when you leave the area. Gear needs to be compatible to their race. Gear also has to be exclusive with this already existing on dwarves, so they drop it on ground after trade. Else game will crash on any attempt of return to that site.

This will take lots of fun out of adventure mode, but it will make it stable and playable. Just so you know. Maybe someone could get this info into DF wikipedia? Warn folks about all those nasty adventure bugs reported at mantis DF bug-tracker?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Don't kill monsters with lairs, build own site or trade personal items.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:46:15 am »

I've never had any of these happen to me. Maybe try a new world and see if you get the same results?

And if you want something on the wiki, why not put it there yourself? Just be sure your information is correct before you add it: do your Science.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 12:37:16 pm »

Are you running any mods, and what OS are you on? I've never seen any of these problems.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 08:09:02 am »

Yes, I would need to do more science. Not very looking for experiencing those lags time after time, but maybe there are places you can put your site without causing lag. Also I play only pocket worlds.

I use linux vanilla DF. No DFHack. No therapist. No nothing. Not even skins.

Most of it needs windows anyhow and xubuntu release managers consider "unstable" as an excuse for doing butchered job at not testing latest unstable apps, if they even work on their latest "unstable" os. The foundation paying those ubuntu folks wages clearly is not checking what it is paying for. Wine and 3d drivers has been an issue on ubuntu for ever. It even looks like a sabotage on purpose and on their ubuntu forums they are very touchy, when people mention word sabotage together with wine or 3d drivers. It got better when Steam folks got engaged on this project, but ubuntu crew live to wreck 3d drivers and wine support. They chase some tablets and mobiles, when their os desktop users never get any love or care.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 12:22:46 pm »

Are you running any mods, and what OS are you on? I've never seen any of these problems.
I think that at least 2 (duplicating animals on adventurer camps) is more or less known bug? Probably happened to me once - each time i waited\built in my camp, lag increased. I barely managed to get out of there after i noticed that something is wrong. Didn't see hordes of animals, though. Underground animals?
Though that was on some earlier version, but i don't think it changed.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:25:52 pm by MCreeper »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 04:53:32 pm »

Creature duplication, in player camps, is a known issue; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172940.msg7909070#msg7909070

Theres supposedly bug reports related to but not identical to it on the tracker already from what i gather of that thread. I have noticed large numbers of critters on lairs before but i didnt think anything of it and it never became an issue because i rarely if ever revisited them. Sounds easy enough to test though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 09:18:18 am »

-rant start-
Ok, I have thought maybe, just maybe, if I will recruit few companions and if I will build my camp site in area without lairs, then there will be some change. Some chance. Maybe my companions will drive those pesky animals away.

I did recruit 5 companions. I fitted them as ax-dwarves with shields and I got them all body armor. Then I cut into corner between 3 settled sectors, so the area takes as little place as possible. I am setting up work for my companions for 1h, then I leave for chopping trees.

Every time, upon job completion, in the middle of my future building appears shortly the bloody night monster "*" presence sign. Then right besides my building is spawning 12-24 wild animals of same or new type, just exactly as every time, as I approach a lair from which I vanquished night monster. 2 new full animal spawns. At first these animals were spawning even inside of my building on the constructed upstairs... Now, those pesky animals spawn right upon piles of dead bodies of before spawns and the rest flees the night to all sides.

It is impossible to build a single building in adventure mode. Neither tavern. Neither temple. Neither mead hall. I am being literally sunk by mad flood of wild animals generated constantly with the night monster "*" symbol event on top of my construction site. WTF is "*" doing inside of my construction site? Why is it appearing on top of my future tavern? Spawning a night monster (aka animal spawn) inside of adventurer's tavern during construction? Seriously? Is there no end to it? Adventurer site is not a monster lair! Where is common sense in that? Grrr...

Also lately, when approaching cleared from monsters lairs, I am experiencing random, not 100% repeatable, DF crashes. Not funny.
-rant stop-

So,
Don't kill monsters with lairs,
Don't build own sites
Don't trade personal items with random npcs, who are not your followers

Else
You will be ranting like me. :D :P :D

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 11:39:31 am »

* symbol is used for wandering units and covers a wide group of units be it bandits, guards, wild animals that ended up being bandits or guards, nomad groups, and the beasts, then there the point of animal beings talking to each other or someone will make them historically known and become a wandering army or migrating group

ok wanted to test this Don't trade personal items thing and walk up to a local peasant and gave them a piece of meat, then fast travel out a bit and walk back, only to notice they still have the piece of meat in their inventory.

so it possible this could be a Linux 44.12 issue, chances are they are just storing the item in their pouches.

then again this gif is on a modded Dfhack Windows build so uhh Beats me if Dfhack is behind the scenes fixing the give item to folks then return to see they don't have those items again.

not edit: ended up finding a vanilla copy of DF and went and tested the same process of giving an item to someone and walking away and returning.

it seems the item does stay with the person you talk to but ownership will clear up on return.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 02:36:23 pm »

ok wanted to test this Don't trade personal items thing and walk up to a local peasant and gave them a piece of meat, then fast travel out a bit and walk back, only to notice they still have the piece of meat in their inventory.

so it possible this could be a Linux 44.12 issue, chances are they are just storing the item in their pouches.

not edit: ended up finding a vanilla copy of DF and went and tested the same process of giving an item to someone and walking away and returning.

it seems the item does stay with the person you talk to but ownership will clear up on return.

I traded successfully for steel ax, so something works, but then try trading away your starting copper long dagger or items colliding with dwarves wardrobe.

Also... I don't fast travel. Ever. I walk or jog everywhere. Outside of settlements also on sneak. Fast travel doesn't skill anything at all. There is no point or sense for using fast travel. Unless some bug workarounds are demanding it?

It seems with lairs & adventurer's site, there is one exceptional wild animal spawn, which can cause exceptional crash to desktop. I do not know what this animal rarity (night creatures by any chance?) is, but DF doesn't handle it well. I can't nail it with save, because it seems it happens on random and there is no information on animal spawns failures in errorlog.txt. This mysterious animal spawn can explain some entirely random crashes, when traveling (not fast traveling!) on map. At least those, that can not be repeated from save.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 09:00:12 am »

With 5 dwarves I constructed 11x11 room with floor and roof in just 5 days instead of months alone. It is little problematic with animal spawns. They are generated sometimes right by the wall of my tavern. No lair in this grid. So far speed is ok. I see no huge lags. I will need to leave this site and return few times to see, if the speed goes worse or stays same. Then in build menu, I will design location as tavern and claim it. Repeat the tests. Though animal spawns around the built house already are insanely crazy after 5 days. It seems there is nothing I can do to drive hordes of different animals from gathering sometimes literary around walls of my tavern.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:02:19 am by Sarmatian123 »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 11:53:24 am »

I traded successfully for steel ax, so something works, but then try trading away your starting copper long dagger or items colliding with dwarves wardrobe.

Also... I don't fast travel. Ever. I walk or jog everywhere. Outside of settlements also on sneak. Fast travel doesn't skill anything at all. There is no point or sense for using fast travel. Unless some bug workarounds are demanding it?

It seems with lairs & adventurer's site, there is one exceptional wild animal spawn, which can cause exceptional crash to desktop. I do not know what this animal rarity (night creatures by any chance?) is, but DF doesn't handle it well. I can't nail it with save, because it seems it happens on random and there is no information on animal spawns failures in errorlog.txt. This mysterious animal spawn can explain some entirely random crashes, when traveling (not fast traveling!) on map. At least those, that can not be repeated from save.

ok didn't know you didn't Fast travel, Since df adventure mode is pretty much a fort mode embark where walking to the edge unloads a small section of the map and loads in a new section. so technically you're slowly unloading and loading new bits of the map moving away from the site, where as Fast travel unloads the whole site which probably saves what ever changes you do to it.
and probably make it so the animal critters. this also explains the confusing * comments, as this probably means you're trying to build stuff which Boots you to the travel menu the menu you vow to not enter.

oh I usually use Fast travel due to knowing ambushing is more knowing the position of everyone and avoiding the vision cones and the skill only pops up in if you end up in their vision cone, also before the vision cones the old stealth was a 3-4 tile radius around the unit and if you're not in that you were pretty much invisible.
but mostly walking is Slow as hell and fast traveling means I don't end up spending 3 hours walking to a town.

though with this info I'm currently trying to recreate this issue... by not fast traveling* in the process of building this camp...on a volcano hopefully I get this campsite full of animals.

*given you enter the fast travel state by sleeping, and building, and cutting trees this is mostly just fast travel by means of movement.

so the issue here is if you're 1 embark... tile away from the camp then start moving towards the camp the game tries to fill the camp with wild units as it seems to do so when you just walk around in adventure mode. this doesn't happen with fast travel as it just unloads the area and boots you to the world map to move around freely.

this doesn't seem to happen when sleeping or building or waiting in the camp so I guess sarmatian123 enter the build state ended up getting ambushed by night troll as building boots you into the travel menu which then allows you to get ambushed got mad and decided to murder them in their lair after doing so walk back to their camp and loaded in more wild units, which also meant walking to the lair also cram more wild units, and in process slow the game down to a halt and probably crash the game from unit overload.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:28:32 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 02:37:44 am »

It wouldn't be an issue if this was a single spawn like on your pictures.

I have now, 2 reliable saves from adventurer site, there I didn't zone a thing. 1st is lag free. 2nd is crippling 3(2)-2(1) lag. The lag is also repeatable. I just need to run to east until my 5 companions return to the construction site and vanish in fog. I see 1-2 animals sighted during this run. Then on return I see 1 spawn of new animals, like on your picture or 10 large spawns (like 12 of each) of different animals like entire adventure site was suddenly covered with huge amount of animal spawns.

The cleared lairs also show same mechanics. Cleared lairs like adventure sites spawn huge amount of wild animals' large spawns. Though I didn't see lairs to cause any huge lag yet. Huge lag happens only on adventure sites. To go from 1400(50) fps to 3(2) with loading black screen for adventure site for 30 secs... now that is crippling experience.

Now I will go to file site and then to bug reports with those 2 files. Maybe Toady can figure finally out, what is happening there and what is causing it.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 09:48:50 am »

It wouldn't be an issue if this was a single spawn like on your pictures.

I have now, 2 reliable saves from adventurer site, there I didn't zone a thing. 1st is lag free. 2nd is crippling 3(2)-2(1) lag. The lag is also repeatable. I just need to run to east until my 5 companions return to the construction site and vanish in fog. I see 1-2 animals sighted during this run. Then on return I see 1 spawn of new animals, like on your picture or 10 large spawns (like 12 of each) of different animals like entire adventure site was suddenly covered with huge amount of animal spawns.

The cleared lairs also show same mechanics. Cleared lairs like adventure sites spawn huge amount of wild animals' large spawns. Though I didn't see lairs to cause any huge lag yet. Huge lag happens only on adventure sites. To go from 1400(50) fps to 3(2) with loading black screen for adventure site for 30 secs... now that is crippling experience.

Now I will go to file site and then to bug reports with those 2 files. Maybe Toady can figure finally out, what is happening there and what is causing it.
oh my picture is showing off multiple critters being spawn, there' also Daemons being spawn when you move around, but you don't see them as they are underground.
clear lairs save any changes done to them so do camps,
the bug is caused by the fact traveling around spawns critters on top of doing so near a site so the site is constantly being filled with critters from just walking near the edge.
one could avoid this by Fast traveling out of their camp or building

using putnam's handly goku teleportation script as a unit scanner I can show off what causes this bug to happen.

the pause you see in the gif is the game loading and unloading new parts of the map.
also advmode map is alot larger than what is shown on screen so several, Several Miles/kilometers to the left and right are loading and unloading chunks of land and in doing so unloading and loading in units that habitat on those lands.
now imagine doing this process of walking back and fourth 1 embark square away

and here's my solution.. which took awhile and requires dfhack.

and the preventive solution to this problem which requires standing as close as possible to the site you want to visit in the travel menu and possible to do in vanilla.

so long story short it seems fast travel is completely FPS friendly option to traveling, and or Traveling towards sites causes the game to load the whole site then walking away from it unloads the whole site and in doing so saves the units there or uhh forgets to unload the wild animal clutter.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 05:06:32 am »

But can you non-stop jog in fast travel too? My dwarf got the endurance for that.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 10:47:16 am »

Fast traveling seems to legit have your character walk( or what ever speed you set your pace at) the distance from looking at the signs of tracks made when you stop fast traveling.
Fast traveling also gives you a visual on where everyone is going and see the most populated areas are, so one could then plan on which camp site area for building that doesn't end up getting ambushed and attacked.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: [1] 2