Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Don't kill monsters with lairs, build own site or trade personal items.  (Read 5414 times)

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Re: Don't kill monsters with lairs, build own site or trade personal items.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 11:50:04 pm »

- Don't ever kill named monsters with lairs. The lair's area will get mega spawns of wild animals and after being crazy lagy for a while, it will be crashing at any attempt to approach it.

- Don't ever build own site. The area will become lagy first, for no apparent reason. Then you will be swarmed by sea wave of all kind of animals and lag will become extreme. After a while any attempt to even approach the player's adventurer's site will end in crash.

- Don't trade personal items with dwarves and other beings. Game does some funky reset of their personal gear, when you leave the area. Gear needs to be compatible to their race. Gear also has to be exclusive with this already existing on dwarves, so they drop it on ground after trade. Else game will crash on any attempt of return to that site.

I play Adventure Mode quiet a lot, up until within the last year its been modded (from me testing my mod), but these issues I have come across in some way, and just as Rumrusher has stated, it may also be due to you never fast traveling... and shocked and impressed with you playing like that... but..

1. Building camp sites right up against a hamlet or hillocks, ect, tend to make animals spawn more often when you load and unload and reload the area of your campsite. This issue happened on my first adventure world long ago in an old version, but since then I have never encountered this.

2. There is still currently a glitch to where, if you recruit someone with you, and you travel back into the town you met them from, they either; A. Teleport to their house then run right back to you. Or B. Duplicate and run right back to you. OR C. If you tell them to wait somewhere else, and you go into the town, they will show up in the town again, following you, and you gotta take them back. This alone could be the cause of the glitch of items in their inventory being reset with how you are playing, although I have never experienced this issue... unless you came across instance B and gave items to the duplicate and it removed itself from game and kept the original soon after you slept, waited, or fast traveled.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 07:07:58 am »

1. Jogging x1.7 (sneak x1.644) (why walking at x1.0???) doesn't only skill you in tracking&sneaking. It skills also your followers, when they hack with axes some animals in forest. Wolves, crabs and such. I started with 5 recruits fitted with battleaxes and shields. Due woodcutting too greedily into night, I had confrontation with 5 boogeymen, whom I slayed mainly with head chops and one dwarf who happened to run into my defense (got its ear scarred) become axedwarf as result. However now, I have entire 4 axedwarves and 1 recruit, all due jogging through forest without any even minor hostile encounters. Though some of my dwarves it seems got injured deeply by these larger animals, though not lost anything yet.

The only negative side of jogging in forest is the ever getting longer rumor section in chat. Every scared animal running away from you generates "dwarf was attacked by animal" report in rumors. It also destroys usability of Q-menu, which already is ruined after 1 month of play due flood of masterwork reports (knapping, carpentry, bone carving...) and poetry recitations (even if there was none around to observe those). Except 1 long poem, all 4 others kinds of poetry have very short poems so... I have 2 poetry forms to competent, 2 on adequate and working right now 1 from novice level to adequate.

2. I have in my current adventure urgent need to replace fancy leather helmet and fancy leather boots on two of my companions, so I went down to store in fortress to fetch couple fancy metal $items$. I left them in fortress by depot. When I returned next day, one very fancy copper high boot and one very fancy copper gauntlet was missing from their sets, which disabled my plants for my companions metal upgrades. From my perspective these 2 pieces of armor in fortress shared same fate of those two instruments I happened to bring to my starter hillock from fortress. Issue with those instruments is, I can't find any duplicates for them anywhere. I play in pocket world btw, which is barely 5y old. However due same "bug"/"feature", one of my axedwarves is using 2 mail chains instead of 1, which I gave him, when he was a peasant. Weird, how game takes its random freedoms on items.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 08:24:51 am »

Hmm the quest menu is kinda iffy given your fame is mostly down on a personal level with who ever you talk to. the locals don't really know anything not even animals and are just spawn at the site.
the rumors they give is randomized and not pulled from their local memory, it only added to them if you ask them about it. which by then they can talk more about it.
the royal folks are slightly more informed than the peasants only on the people they know as they all kinda historical.
then again that's probably set for humans... I haven't tested dwarves measure of knowledge but it could be the similar result.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 02:55:29 pm »

I found human poet, who had a book. I got into me it has to be some expensive human new poetry type. I made pile of turkey and wolven rings. I traded hungrily with each dweller in 3 human villages for coins.

In process I discovered Dwarves can't wear pouches, which made me sad. Also the currency of one village, due different government was different from other 2. Also pouches have 12 weight limit, so I needed to purchase 3 of those. Pouch is 30 coppers worth btw. Good I know my prices from fortress mode, or I would be utterly lost in adventurer mode in those goods' prices. Wiki was great help too btw. Wolf ring master quality is 240 coins :D I didn't find many humans with so much cash in their pouches though.

Sadly there is no money exchange currently implemented. It seems 1 gold or 1 silver or 1 copper coin always have value of 1 copper in different civilization and it has to be lone coin, as whole stack of coins also counts as 1 coin it seems.

However human currencies are not year based, but ruler based. In theory they can be stacked far better then dwarven impractical yearly currencies. Dwarves should have their currency tied to their fortress & civilization, like humans have to ruler&civilization. That yearly difference is not... thought through it seems to me.

I am also stuck with 3 heavy pouches, which do not have even decency to combine inside all those multiple same coins stacks into one single same stack. I would go for 3 different pouches, each for each type of coin, just the stack addition was in existence. However, if we have some economic system in future, then we should have those magical pouches for dwarves too. Bank/vault/currency trader shop, which is working like fortress's version of pouch, with stack addition ofc, can be easier introduced with economic system later on.

In end I got the book from poet. No poetry inside. Just some description of local human village. Book was worth only 220 coppers. Reading it first time, didn't even add anything to my novice reader skill. I was to dwarven fortresses, as hillocks have nothing useful and to human villages. which are some mix between food filled hillocks & fortresses with armory room. I did not find any writing materials with any traders or with any stockpiles. This poet clearly should have some writing materials accessible in world to be able to write a book...

This long semi-economy moan based on my current adventure brings me back to items being spawn from thin air, due creature's job/dwelling's assignment, then from materials availability or access in created world. This, I think alone, is current DF's non-existent economy approximation hack in work. Not just a simple bug with vanishing/spawning items. Legit part of game, that is until true economy system will arrive. Around, if not more, 5 years in future at least? Sad face about those music instruments. I dropped them because they were made of clay and weight instead of wooden 2-4 was 10-15. Maybe these musical instruments needed to be out of clay too? It is not shown clearly in adventure mode like in fortress mode. However in first days of 1st month my dwarf still was working endurance and strength and was easily over come by weight.

Maybe for each adventure in adventure mode, there should be a magic special bottomless chest at player's spawn place, which could be lifted and dragged to some other place too? Let's call that chest, "an elephant memory chest". :D For next 5 years, such chest seems to be required in adventure mode.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:00:31 pm by Sarmatian123 »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 03:54:15 pm »

Like you Sarmatian123, I only run slow travel games, though my worlds are 1050 large islands.

Still it's important to offload areas and sites.

Anytime you're traveling in the wilds and you feel it's getting laggy, pop into fast travel to offload the area, then drop back into slow travel.

When you're in sites like a fortress, waiting an hour (another offload method) will clear the parade traffic around a spiral ramp.

These tricks don't work as well in towns as some areas are simply designated as domestic/stray tame animal territory.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 04:56:58 pm »

Peasant cretin has a decent idea on clearing up the wild build up.
speaking of which next to find a solution for the getting attacked in your camp while your building it, resting in it.

then again naming items tends to turn them into artifacts and they get to be lost in circulation of world gen if you place it down, due to folks now seeking out said newly made artifact made by someone possessed by an unknown force.

also spawn place? you mean where the adventurer usually starts which often not really suitable spot for a weird chest to pop up let alone backpacks are already bottomless just not weightless.

then again fast travel kinda doesn't take in consideration of Speed loss from carrying heavy items.
that said I guess build a minecart and push ride that around the place for a solution of carrying a heavy item that too backbreaking during slow travel? then on hills just uhh pick up the minecart and toss it up the hill and or uhh carry it up the ramp?
"body swapping and YOU!"

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 07:10:41 pm »

@Rumrusher, I like that mine cart idea. Not bottomless, but size 50000 beats 6000. It also moves. :D Just elephant memory patch required by Toady for that mine cart. :D

@peasant cretin. I like that idea of offloading lag by offloading animals from cleared empty lairs. I know one with animal lag. I will try it there tomorrow.

However else lag I hit currently on is either in dark fortresses or in my own camp. I rather not wait for 1h among randomly venturing outside goblins. As I read offloading does not work in camps. Camp saves its state. I slept or cut trees in camp and it didn't remove animals. To contrary after cutting a tree often I was finding myself in the middle of 3 large spawns of 3 different animals. Lag was going away, when I scared or killed those away from my camp site... The animal spawns could even appear in the middle of structures (all floors, walls and roofs) with closed openings with hatches and doors. This was specially annoying. There is no way to clear blood from inside of structure, besides de-constructing and constructing again. Oh well.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 07:26:32 pm »

From what you have told us based on your lag and experiences I am assuming your computer doesn't run the game very well, and if you plan on traveling through dark pits/fortresses, then yes you are going to have a huge FPS drop due to there being pits filled with trolls/beak dogs in most cases, with over 300+ creatures being in just one area. Although a easy fix for this is to travel through that place at night, when they are all asleep and not moving or doing any actions, which in turn increases the FPS a decently easy amount.

Pouches cant be worn in general...

And truthfully money is currently useless to even have in adventure mode since there is never really anything worth buying when armor, weapons, and food are easy to come by.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 09:48:06 pm »

True on coins. I couldn't buy the book from poet for 1 master quality ring, so I went nuts. I had no idea it was selling for mere 220 coins until I got those coins. :D Maybe I should return and see if the "economy work around" hack spawns new book on the poet, or the same one. The only good those human coins would be else... buying shields and some of the human weapons.

In lairs, like in dark fortresses, you can't fast travel, sleep or wait for 1 hour. You can't put down even a camp fire. I am expecting lag in dark towers, but those animals at too often visited empty lairs and at camp are surely lag pests too.

For now game is playable. I save often and maintain those saves. Already hit once repetitious case of insane lag and I uploaded it to my bug report at https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10991. If I can reliably create more lag saves, surely I will upload those saves too. You can download it and check how insane lag is. Then you know how slow cpu I haz... :P :D

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 01:37:51 am »

@Rumrusher, I like that mine cart idea. Not bottomless, but size 50000 beats 6000. It also moves. :D Just elephant memory patch required by Toady for that mine cart. :D

Backpack in a minecart.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:40:09 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 08:27:00 am »

No new magic stuff will be added until the end of the Big Wait (which may very well last 5 years)... at which point it will be procgen. But maybe you could have a bag of holding or something for that purpose.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 09:33:51 am »

Oh don't worry, there is pretty lots of magic already in.

A great legendary Dwarven hero and hunter arrives to a lair. In a lair lives little tiny harmless mouse. The great legendary Dwarven hero and hunter suddenly is thirsty and hungry. He tries to put camp fire to warm up some ice/snow in his waterskin. The screen shows message: HE CAN'T MAKE CAMP FIRE AS HE FEELS UNSAFE HERE! Yeah, he turned into a freaked fragile lady out of sudden. Right... Run Forest run! Panic! Forget boogeymen, shadow nightmares, devils, goblin and elven soldiers, there is a little harmless mouse in sight! Aye... magic.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 10:36:58 am »

still you could probably try instead of a camp, making a player's fort a retiring spot. any chances of insane lag would probably poof....wait hmm I wonder if

wait I was wondering "if you can train stealth while fast traveling" and created a character who has no Skills in stealth at all and toggled on the stealth option.
and yeah looks like you do.
"body swapping and YOU!"

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2019, 01:21:06 am »

Oh don't worry, there is pretty lots of magic already in.

A great legendary Dwarven hero and hunter arrives to a lair. In a lair lives little tiny harmless mouse. The great legendary Dwarven hero and hunter suddenly is thirsty and hungry. He tries to put camp fire to warm up some ice/snow in his waterskin. The screen shows message: HE CAN'T MAKE CAMP FIRE AS HE FEELS UNSAFE HERE! Yeah, he turned into a freaked fragile lady out of sudden. Right... Run Forest run! Panic! Forget boogeymen, shadow nightmares, devils, goblin and elven soldiers, there is a little harmless mouse in sight! Aye... magic.
That's not magic, it's an oversight. It's not intended by Toady to be magic.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 [2]