Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Expanding Engravings?  (Read 1764 times)

Unilettuce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Expanding Engravings?
« on: January 09, 2019, 08:44:53 am »

Hey, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me expand engravings. I've been trying to figure out how to add more descriptions into the generation so they are more varied and interesting, but so far I have just found descriptor_shape_standard.text.

That, basically, allows me to add the wide range of objects possible to carve... but only if a dwarf decides to carve a gem, I believe. So I added a lot of variety that is rarely applied. Plus, I still don't know how the actual engraving works, and how it interacts with the [TILE:] input, so I feel like the little I have done has had even less effect than I hoped.

If anyone knows anything to help, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'd love to have a lot of interesting artifacts with unique designs on them, or varied wall graffiti. I'm very new to modding, so I have little idea what I'm doing, just figuring it out as I go along.

Goonts

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Goonts 2: Electric Boogaloo
    • View Profile
Re: Expanding Engravings?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 04:04:30 pm »

I know this is a bit late, but shape handles both shapes carved into objects and walls as well as gems, in order for it to be a gem shape the shape it has to have [GEMS_USE_ADJ_NOUN], [GEMS_USE_ADJ], or [GEMS_USE_NOUN]. [TILE:] controls what ASCII symbol is used to represent the carving on walls and floors. Using [WORD:] links it to that word in languages and possibly the symbolism connected to that word, but I wouldn't quote me on that. Adding [ADJ:] will add variations that can be used when carving, so you don't need separate [SHAPE:] raw for those. So instead of having a winding river shape and straight river shape, you could have one river shape with [ADJ:winding] and [ADJ:straight].
Hope that helps.