• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: how do fix life
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 03:46:48 pm »

Sober up. Then fix it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 03:59:16 pm »

-
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 11:01:56 am by Caz »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 04:36:49 pm »

Exercise.
Therapy.
Marijuana rather than booze.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 05:36:22 pm »

Definitely therapy and possibly antidepressants.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 06:32:29 pm »

noooooo
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 11:01:18 am by Caz »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 06:51:44 pm »

New Antidepressants are better.

Also, moderate drinking.

Also, find a hobby--if you can't or won't deal with things in a clinical manner, get your mind off them:

Draw

Paint

Write

Make Comics
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 07:14:02 pm »

-
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 11:02:04 am by Caz »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 07:55:38 pm »

When I get depressed, there is always a choice for me to make.  The easy way out is just to sink into self pity, and I do that plenty enough... and always regret it later.  The harder choice is to "get outside myself" and do something for someone else, or do something on my mental list of stuff that needs doing. This takes the focus off of myself, and I always feel better later... no regrets.  I know this is easier said than done, but it's my personal experience.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 10:04:32 pm »

-
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 11:02:10 am by Caz »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 11:04:25 pm »

Don't quote me. I'm going to edit this post. Feel free to refer to the ideas in it though :)

First: I'm pretty sure I know how you feel. I have a PTSD diagnosis and trust issues, sleep issues, mood swings, difficulty making myself eat blah blah blah I could go on.

Therapy will help you regulate your emotions in a safe way that doesn't hurt you or involve repressing them, and they will also be able to help you with your trust issues. Slowly. Yeah, it's expensive, but most therapists have sliding scales. Booze is also expensive. You can just spend the first couple sessions talking about your birds if you want, that will help with the safe-feeling thing.

I know you're reading The Body Keeps the Score, which means I know that you know that you should probably try therapy >_> It's not about that being this great healing relationship which is going to fix everything. That gives too much power to the therapist and the therapist is just a therapist and that's it. They don't get to put you in a box or do anything bad to you. Period. And you can talk to them in your first session about how you feel about therapy, whatever little amount works for you ("I don't really want to do therapy and am anxious about it" is a good start).

There's lots of things that you can do to help yourself, and I will say that therapy is an excellent thing to have in your toolbox. It has really helped me.

Medication is ... I don't particularly enjoy being on it, but it was much less of a bad thing than I thought it would be. It gave me a leg up so that I could process more difficult stuff and handle being alive while transitioning between therapists during a pandemic, and also made it so that I wasn't literally crying all day (I was literally crying all day for months. It was "I'm too depressed to walk up the stairs" bad). Now that some things are improving in my life, I get to transition to a lower dosage. I also have a psychiatrist who worked with the military on PTSD treatment and has a good understanding of how to navigate my situation so that I am empowered and in control, rather than feeling like someone else is ~doing something~ to me. You don't have to be on it forever: it can just be something to help you get through a particularly rough patch.

Last thing: One of the best things I ever read on Tumblr was about someone who told her therapist she felt bad about herself because she could barely manage her life. If she had to take a shower, she could only stand to do it lying down. And so on. The therapist apparently had some good advice for her, which is that if she had to lie down to take showers, then that was fine. Modifying activities so that they worked was fine.

I changed a lot of how I did things after I read that. If you do something then have to lie down, then that's sad because it certainly sounds exhausting. But there's nothing wrong with being that way.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 10:52:15 am »

-
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 11:02:21 am by Caz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 03:25:19 pm »

Practicing stoicism with some intermezzos of being a cynical court jester with absurdistic tendencies has helped me endure life for decades now.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Callum-K

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 03:41:33 am »

Try to have a daily schedule for yourself. So that your schedule is so tight that you do not have the opportunity to think about drinking.
And in the end all I learned was how to be strong alone.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 07:40:17 am »

-
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 11:03:20 am by Caz »