Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: I wanna make a game  (Read 30856 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I wanna make a game
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2021, 07:02:00 pm »

@delph: Sounds good(ot!). I've no experience of your learning material, but maybe I'll even see if it can inspire me.

@nen: What was the issue? Trying to get a sensible output?
(At the most basic, maybe just emulate dice. Run a "D6" 100 times, if you need to check you've properly implemented 1..6 as ~16 chances of getting each[1]. Then you can expand/generalise it to handle "2D6", "3D20", "D3-2" (i.e. -1..+1), etc.)

Or deciding what the sensible outputs ought to be?
(That's game-balancing issues. But if you have an idea what stats a basic Level 1 character has, you could run permutations of what results they get against your ideas of the test they may encounter (vs, say, a L1 Enemy) and see what percentage of encounters, or rounds of action, go the player's way. You can write this as an 'off-game interface', either copying the shared bits back and forth between that and the 'real' thing for testing/integrating, or make that an includable module/resourcs/whatever-it's-called-in-Python.)

Maybe something else? I know I've thought things like "I won't include a map/diagram of the procedurally-generated environment's connections for a player, but I'd quite like to see one for development", at times, only to send me down my own personal rabbithole of basically reinventing my own Visio but in PerlTk, forgetting that this was never what I actually needed. Did you go beyond the necessary (such as either of the above examples, if you felt either were actually that, bare-bone output that's maybe even just straight to console and quit)... Or some other diversion/distraction? I can probably relate, whichever way!

[1] Rather than getting the 0<=fraction<1 multiplied wrongly for your own expansion of the basic rand(), or the range 0..n-1 from explicit rand(n); to which you might need to +1. Assuming Python does it that way, which I'd maybe assume it did but then test as described to confirm.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2021, 07:23:54 pm »

Last time - I would basically just get stuck on wanting to do one specific thing and then slam my head into that problem until motivation died. Last time it was generating seeds from text. Last night I ran into a similar situation but walked away and thought of another way to handle it entirely - which I think is an important skill I've been missing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2021, 11:02:32 am »

It's been too long, I don't remember what I got hung up on. I imagine if i'd solved that I probably would have cranked out quite a bit more there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2021, 03:31:04 am »

Delphonso do you use libtcod or ncurses for interface?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2021, 04:05:36 am »

I messed about with libtcod before. Now I'm on Godot, and don't need either.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2021, 04:19:23 am »

Godot looks like a cool engine! Very modern looking.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2021, 06:31:37 am »

Trekkin, do you have any resources on that? I think I've got a generally good mind for this stuff, but I know it'll be a lot of trial and error on huge, dumb mistakes.

Not to be even more of an ass, but everyone thinks that when they start out. I certainly did. It's kind of why these mistakes are so common.

Trekkin, this was a post from the first page but it is 100% correct and it bears repeating. I have a good head for math and logic, which is certainly important, but I'm also stubborn which is incredibly detrimental to my success in coding.

Not only would I keep trying the same thing, I wouldn't look for help which is incredibly dumb when it comes to like...libraries of people already solving whatever I was trying to do.

Been enjoying collaborating on a little arena game with a friend of mine. I'll post it whenever we finish it - which shouldn't be too long as the scope is very limited. A great learning experience for Godot and coding. Still enjoying the learning process.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]