Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why don't stills require water?  (Read 966 times)

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why don't stills require water?
« on: January 10, 2019, 01:28:17 pm »

It seems a little odd that I can brew all kinds of alcoholic drinks without requiring any sort of water to add to them. Normally brewing beer and the like is less about making liquid than it is about making the water that you already have safe to drink. Some things, like winemaking don't require added liquid, because all of the liquid is in the plant, but that kind of leads to the second odd thing; why don't farms require continuous irrigation? If you want to plant crops inside on stone, you need to bring in water to turn it into mud, but you only need to do this once. This may have changed a little since the introduction of taverns and intoxication, but it's still entirely possible to sustain a fortress entirely on booze. This means that it is entirely possible to build a fortress in the middle of a desert with absolutely no water source and keep it going indefinitely with farms and alcohol, which seems a little extremely unrealistic.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't stills require water?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 04:35:05 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69453.msg1680410#msg1680410
(Amongst several others I think)

This and irrigation, (there's a massive farming thread around here someplace too) have been discussed in depth. In the suggestions forum you're encouraged to add your ideas to those existing threads.

Toady has already seen and noted these suggestions, so he doesn't need to be told again. More ideas are good. "Your game is broken!" isn't (that'd be more for the General DF discussion forum).

--edit
Oh, here it is:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76007.0
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:45:25 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 06:10:58 pm »

It seems a little odd that I can brew all kinds of alcoholic drinks without requiring any sort of water to add to them. Normally brewing beer and the like is less about making liquid than it is about making the water that you already have safe to drink. Some things, like winemaking don't require added liquid, because all of the liquid is in the plant, but that kind of leads to the second odd thing; why don't farms require continuous irrigation? If you want to plant crops inside on stone, you need to bring in water to turn it into mud, but you only need to do this once. This may have changed a little since the introduction of taverns and intoxication, but it's still entirely possible to sustain a fortress entirely on booze. This means that it is entirely possible to build a fortress in the middle of a desert with absolutely no water source and keep it going indefinitely with farms and alcohol, which seems a little extremely unrealistic.

Stills should also require fuel - of course, brewing and distilling might have to be separated.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:07:04 am »

I'm happy with it in the current form, but am open to expansions to it.
I like that you have to individually grow food and use it for different tasks (eat raw, brew, cook into meals). This is in high contrast to most city builders - in which food is an ambiguous number, usually resulting from single "buildings" and requiring no effort.

The way food and drink work now are possible only because they are a reasonable challenge. I worry if too much is required, the challenge would be overwhelming (i.e. - you would /need/ to embark with a stream/river).

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 11:04:48 am »

There was a mention about water for stills in the DF talks:

Ok, next question comes from Marcus: What is your opinion on stills requiring water to produce certain types of booze?
Toady:   I think it's fair. I think water-
Threetoe:   It'd make it about twenty times as hard to start a fortress but...
Toady:   *laughs* Yeah, I mean you'd always have to start next to a river, or have to dig down to the water. But if we set up things like rain barrels I guess, was one of the ideas floating around, something like that. I think the booze making process is one of the easier ones maybe and...So it's, I mean it's not the end of the world, and I think it's probably a good idea in the end.

Edit: I think we'll see economy/trade improve before we see food production nerfing though. It'd be a bit cruel otherwise :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 11:34:18 am »

I'm pretty sure the water not being safe to drink so we drink beer thing is a myth.  It seems that you might be able to make some kinds of wine without needing to add any water, because of the water already in the fruit, but that's a hunch of mine. 

The probable reason that still don't need water is that there isn't enough easy ways to get water.  We can't for instance collect rainwater in buckets or cisterns.