Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More & More Detailed Feedback on Dwarf Activities  (Read 727 times)

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
More & More Detailed Feedback on Dwarf Activities
« on: January 09, 2019, 10:54:30 pm »

One thing I love about DF are the characters and the stories that are generated in the game.  The problem I have is teasing those stories out.

My dwarves get into arguments, fall in love, are traumatized by rain, all sorts of things.  But I'll never know about any of them unless I routinely pour over the each dwarf's thoughts (which, honestly could be presented in a better way IMO, but that's another suggestion).

I'd really love a whole set of new announcements to catch all the various things that are happening all the time that only the most attentive player will ever notice.  And even when you do notice, the details are often very sparse.

For instance:
Urist and Cog are arguing!

You could click on that for some more detail, ideally with basic DF-style spoken lines.  Reading the "transcript" of the argument you could tell that Urist strongly believes in Craftsdwarfship, while Cog feels Craftsdwarfship is useless.  Or whatever.

I'd really, really love to see something like this.  I'm the kind of player that loves paying attention to my dwarves, making sure they are happy, and trying to see what they are up to.  Would make that a heck of a lot easier and more enjoyable.

Thanks for listening!

EDIT: typo
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:56:54 pm by Blucher »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: More & More Detailed Feedback on Dwarf Activities
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:38:36 am »

There is actually a transscript of the argument happening in game. Arguments however tend to be about conflicting values :)

You can filter them into the game by editing announcement.txt:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157394.msg7602102#msg7602102

But it is hardly ideal, no.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 04:56:34 pm »

There is actually a transscript of the argument happening in game. Arguments however tend to be about conflicting values :)

You can filter them into the game by editing announcement.txt:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157394.msg7602102#msg7602102

But it is hardly ideal, no.

Whoa!  Mind = Blown!  Man I had no idea that was even possible.

More and better would be great, but it's a start.  Thank you for that bit of info.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 06:06:22 pm »

I would recommend using a 3rd party program to filter the gamelog in a separate window, rather than edit announcements.txt to spam you.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 12:18:05 pm »

The player knowing too much is actually a problem, when the dwarves are up to no good.