Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I play an instrument in adventure mode?  (Read 2569 times)

UristVanHelsing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I play an instrument in adventure mode?
« on: January 11, 2019, 03:35:49 am »

I play a lot of adventure mode, and recently I wanted to try my hand at playing instruments. So I found myself a nice masterwork spotug and tried to play in a logical way, pressing "I" for Advanced Interaction. Funnily enough, the only option was to name it. I assume that there is a way to do this, and I'm just missing it. Please enlighten me, O dwarf gods of the forums.
You could always spread it around and paint the floor of your house with the blood of your enemies.
You could very well go for a Christmas themed house, all green and red from blood and vomit. Deck the halls with spilled intestines. Fa la la la la, la la la la!

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I play an instrument in adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 04:18:50 am »

Instruments are used automatically if you have them in your inventory and perform music themes that use said instruments. You can't play them by yourself.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:27:12 am »

Your character probably will know several musical forms. Those tell what instrument (if any) is used in the piece.
You can then either play one of those musical forms or compose a new one. Since the new composition is based on an already known form it will use the same instrument as listed.

It happens quite often that you will know musical forms that only use instruments of other civilizations.

If you start your adventure in a player controlled fort, you can make sure that enough forms are known by giving the dwarves in the fort a lot of spare time, instruments and zones where they can use them such as a tavern or temple.

Once your character gets good at performing skills you can persuade others to follow you as entertainer. Good luck and do not travel alone at night!

UristVanHelsing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 08:50:22 am »

For future readers: You must have the instrument in your hand if you want to play the music and not simulate it.
You could always spread it around and paint the floor of your house with the blood of your enemies.
You could very well go for a Christmas themed house, all green and red from blood and vomit. Deck the halls with spilled intestines. Fa la la la la, la la la la!