Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Disturbing Things In Dwarf Fortress  (Read 4975 times)

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
Disturbing Things In Dwarf Fortress
« on: January 11, 2019, 05:29:42 am »

Most veteran players don't bat an eye at all the 'wonderful' stuff that happens in a Dwarf Fortress campaign.
 If ya think about the lore of the game being played, a lot of weird and disturbing things happen before and/or during FUN .

These have actually happened in my forts ... imagine this happening in a real life setting.

1: a dwarf shook the hand of a goblin so hard, he broke the bones.

2: a dwarven child is out playing in the fields, all of a sudden a goblin wielding an iron whip runs out of the woods, and hits the kid up side the head. The skull is caved in and kills the poor youngling.

3: A troll rips the leg off of a live kitten.

4: an elf merchant is setting up shop next to a dwarven settlement - all of a sudden dozens of dwarfs run towards him,  arms full of animal guts.

5: a baby dwarf falls into the lake with it's mother standing nearby ... the mother stands there and watches her child drown.

6: a woodcutter is mad because he had gotten wet during a rain storm - he precedes to hack apart a dwarven child standing next to him.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:31:48 am by RLS0812 »
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Disturbing Things In Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:29:58 am »

Yes...?

Most of these are an effect of the game's AI not working correctly yet except for the combat stuff which is as gruesome as it is because that is way more interesting than an HP bar.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:25:21 am »

I've always been a fan of female militia dwarves running into fierce hand-to-hand combat carrying their newborn babies in their arms.  I have heard reports in the past of the mothers USING THE BABIES AS BLUNT WEAPONS during the fight.

Heh heh heh.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 12:33:49 pm »

I had a fort a while back where one of my legendary spear dwarves let off some steam with a fist fight... versus the mayor.
However there were a few things that made it more interesting to imagine.

1) During this 'fist fight' he used nothing but his masterwork steel spear

2) He cut off the mayor's right hand and nose before calming down

3) His two trained war gorillas apparently stood there the whole time, I like to imagine they held the mayor down

4) The mayor survived the 'fist fight' and got on with his life, sans hand and nose. All part of a day's work apparently!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 02:36:38 pm »

I've always been a fan of female militia dwarves running into fierce hand-to-hand combat carrying their newborn babies in their arms.  I have heard reports in the past of the mothers USING THE BABIES AS BLUNT WEAPONS during the fight.

Heh heh heh.

Don't recall ever seeing that, but I have seen enemies dodge attacks from carried babies, which is almost as funny and has the potential to make enemies dodge off cliffs or into walls.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 04:03:19 pm »

I have been playing the game for a long time, and still have shiny eyes for all the "little things" that make up the life of a DF fort. I can't get enough of it. I still am certain that DF logs and legend mode are diamond in the rough that just need a bit of human polishing to make good, compelling, original stories

Don't let yourself get jaded and enjoy those uncanny moments !

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 03:15:58 am »

The caverns bring horrors....

The forgotten beast that picks up a dwarf by his leg, then grabs and pulls off both arms and the other leg, then does it to another dwarf (who was blinking blue in terror).

The jabberer that runs in and snips off a dwarf's leg, then runs out.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 01:48:16 pm »

I had a cat survive being attacked by a forgotten beast ... it now drags itself around by it's 2 front paws due to a broken spine :(
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 12:02:51 pm »

My favourite is always when a weremother kills her child after a change. Usually isn't even all that upset later, after changing back.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 11:07:04 am »

The last succession fort I remember, 

The place was in a bad goblin siege; and in part of reanimating evil biome; with above ground buildings and projects. 

I manage to build dodge maze alternate entrance with repeating atom smashers below. 
Had a nice time RP'ing and building up my overseer character as I ended my turn with the ending of the siege with little corpse to clean up. 

Next turn, the next overseer went into a fel-mood and made my character a into a bone bin.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 08:27:51 pm »

Well hey, at least you'll always be admired for your organizational and clutter-management abilities! :P

I cant help but recall how you can contaminate a well with the blood of a vampire, take away all the fortress' booze, and force your dwarves to drink from the well to turn the entire population into vampires. They'll literally devour anyone that shows up and falls asleep, though. Like, pile on top of them like a cartoon football team on the skinny kid with the ball. But if you dont let them have their meals, they will slow down until they're moving at half speed or something?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 03:59:40 pm »

This ist Not a suggestion.

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 04:10:40 pm »

This is probably one of the cruelest things I've done to sentient beings(by game's classification) so far. An opossum man and woman, captured with cage traps and now chained with golden chains in the grand throne room along with a grizzly bear and a giant eagle. Just recently the opossum man fell into depression.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 02:26:00 am »

The only thing I've seen that's somewhat disturbing is a dwarf who had their neck/spine destroyed and spoke 2 lines before dying.
There's a very fine line between disturbing and "edgy" and I've yet to reach it without mods

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 07:56:23 pm »

What about that one goblin invader that remarked something like, "A few minutess ago I drowned." "I drowned! This is terrifying!"

And then he drowned. I'm reasonably certain his name wasn't "Ben".
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 08:01:35 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2