Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to run Dwarf Fortress other than openGL?  (Read 1356 times)

Umbra Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a way to run Dwarf Fortress other than openGL?
« on: January 01, 2019, 10:24:03 pm »

I would like to know if it is possible to run Dwarf Fortress using another mode outside of openGL. The reason is that I am considering streaming Dwarf Fortress and the software I use to stream with does not play well with openGL. I also use Lazy Newb Pack and it would be even better if there was a way to do this from there. I have attempted to look this up, but have not been successful yet.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to run Dwarf Fortress other than openGL?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 08:54:59 pm »

May not be specifically what you need, but from the wiki:

Game Settings
    PRINT_MODE is another init setting. It controls the method Dwarf Fortress uses to draw the screen.
        More advanced methods allow DF to make more use of OpenGL features and therefore your graphics card. STANDARD and VBO are good starting points.
        More advanced methods may still have bugs. 2D is more likely to be reliable.

Might help a bit?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 01:07:54 pm »

Yes, I was talking about print mode, try setting it to 2D(which, as far as I can tell is a non-opengl mode). If you're not on Windows, using text mode might be a good idea as well(though a lot more inaccesible for streaming).
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 07:59:04 am »

Why OBS can't simply "just work" with opengl?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 07:16:36 am »

No idea(well, a little, it has to do with the display capturing OBS does and whether it can access the info sent via opengl to the screen when doing display capturing), I just know it has issues with it.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Umbra Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 06:38:38 pm »

Why OBS can't simply "just work" with opengl?

I am not entirely sure, but I have seeked a solution to me being able to play Dwarf Fortress from that angle as well. I have gotten much less of a response from the community of the OBS I use than I have received here. As a side note, latter today I am going to try to find out how to run Dwarf Fortress in Print Mode. I am hopeful I can still use a graphics pack in Print Mode and not have any other issues streaming it. I would still very much appreciate if someone were to respond with the instructions to run Dwarf Fortress in print mode however.

Umbra Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 10:24:03 pm »

I have figured out how to get Dwarf Fortress to run in 2D mode. Now I will need to figure out how to get my OBS to detect Dwarf Fortress.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 06:17:07 pm »

As a side note, latter today I am going to try to find out how to run Dwarf Fortress in Print Mode. I am hopeful I can still use a graphics pack in Print Mode and not have any other issues streaming it. I would still very much appreciate if someone were to respond with the instructions to run Dwarf Fortress in print mode however.
You don't "run Dwarf Fortress in print mode", because "print mode" isn't something you turn on or off, but a multiple choice setting - by default, Dwarf Fortress runs in the "2D" print mode ([PRINT_MODE:2D], which uses SDL), but you can also choose "2DSW" (SDL without hardware acceleration), "2DASYNC" (some Asynchronouse mode of SDL which might work faster on multi-core CPUs), "STANDARD" (OpenGL), "PARTIAL:N" (OpenGL but not redrawing tiles that haven't changed in the past N frames), "ACCUM_BUFFER" (OpenGL with one buffering method), "FRAME_BUFFER" (OpenGL with another buffering method), and "VBO" (also OpenGL but different in some other way).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.