Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: horrified after being haunted/tormented/possessed by a dead pet  (Read 1330 times)

sheepish_gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
horrified after being haunted/tormented/possessed by a dead pet
« on: January 11, 2019, 07:44:38 am »

Are pet ghosts a thing? I have never seen an active pet ghost, like I've seen ghosts of dwarves who had not yet received an engraved slab. Or is this just a thought they always get when you have pet burial disabled?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: horrified after being haunted/tormented/possessed by a dead pet
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:48:59 am »

He saw his rotting pet corpse lying around, and like any dwarf got a little upset that it was left out to decompose and smell without dignity.  A corpse stockpile doesn't count as a dignified manner in which to dispose of the body.  A hunter has to frequent corpse piles.  Dump the corpse somewhere out of the way and let it rot or smash it or just suck it up and bury it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 04:17:07 pm »

Did you see a dwarf with that thought, or just saw it in a string dump in the wiki?

That looks like the thought is actually about a ghostly pet, but as far as I know only sapient creatures can be ghosts.  Furthermore, unless it changed in the release that introduced visitors (and it well may have), only your fort's founding species can make ghosts at all.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

sheepish_gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 05:01:43 pm »

Not sure what you mean by a string dump on the wiki (if you can, please explain!), but I saw it as a thought on a dwarf. a tantruming dwarf, where this was the only item that truly horrified him (apart from some smaller annoyances and probably a lower threshold for stress - he was a relative new migrant without a nickname)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 11:42:35 pm »

This is the page I was thinking of, which is a dump of every text string from the game's executable.  A lot of text strings aren't actually used, but they're there for one reason or another.

If you actually saw this on a dwarf though, that's very interesting.  Do you know if he even had a pet before that?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 03:44:59 am »

Furthermore, unless it changed in the release that introduced visitors (and it well may have), only your fort's founding species can make ghosts at all.

It appears to be so. Any fort members can become ghosts, even non-player civ members (I have a dead human monster slayer haunting his dad in my tavern for instance... He's not handling his son's haunting him well.) Catch is they need to be members of your fort's group in some manner, such as long term residents.