Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

units teleporting through wall and fighting in mid air?!

(1/3) > >>

Romi:

Whats going on? I have built a curtain wall, with archer towers and broad ditch 3-5 wide and 4z high that goes into the stone layer, with smoothed bottom layer to avoid climbers. So how did their units flew to the walls  and now seem to melee fight with my archer in mid air?!

trib:
Is it covered? If not, they probably climbed over and are fighting while climbing. Another possibility is the dodge bug which sometimes causes the dwarfs to dodge through walls, though this happens mostly with training IIRC, but this is most likely is just archers being stupid and climbing walls to go melee things with their crossbows.

The enemy unit jumped from the ground and grabbed onto the wall.

Romi:
But how can they climb? I have read that if you smooth the bottom layer it is impossible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This ruins my first top side playthrough, as I have never expected that anyone can come from here. This whole section is cosmetic sort of castle cliff side, with even bigger silly non functional grandiose late game stuff planned there.

trib:
Smooth walls aren't impossible to climb, just harder. And they didn't climb from the bottom, that curtain wall is close enough to the ground before your ditch that they can sprint and just jump across and grab onto the curtain wall.

Romi:
How far can one sprint/jump? I remember reading that ditches only need to be 2 wide, mine is 3-5 wide.. And are you sure about smoothed walls? according to the wiki: "Climbing smoothed natural stone walls is impossible".

Overall what should I do to prevent my "cliff side" wall from being accessible? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version