Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Ways To Remember Dead Dwarves  (Read 1447 times)

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
More Ways To Remember Dead Dwarves
« on: January 13, 2019, 06:31:54 am »

It's a pain in the arse to build memorial slabs ... especially when there are a ton of slabs in the fortress.

I would suggest adding the following:

1:  masons can build rock memorials stones, rock tomb stones, and rock monuments
2: under Build menu, add "memorials" tab
3: under the 'memorials' tab have --- 'memorial' ( memorial stone ), 'mausoleum' ( casket +memorial stone +2 blocks ... 2 x 2 area ), 'memorial statue' ( statue + memorial stone ), 'grave site' ( casket + tomb stone ), and 'monument site' ( monument + memorial stone ).
4: the items can be engraved by a stone detailer .

Note: monuments are for marking battle sites, historic locations, and places dwarves died.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:34:04 am by RLS0812 »
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Ways To Remember Dead Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 04:33:31 pm »

Great idea.

I would add dwarves dying outside of the map (outside expedition), to be memorialized in cenotaphs.

I would add cardiotaphs and cephalotaphs too.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 12:52:02 am »

It would be nice if the mythgen arc included alternative forms of rites for the dead. Real life has sky burials (feeding the body to vultures) and burials at sea. Oh and can't forget cremation! Or putting the body in a boat and letting it float away. Or setting it on fire. The only real common thread is that there be some ceremony involved.

Maybe burial rites could be generated based on religion spheres.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:08:35 am »

Well, the devpage does say this:

Generated explanations for death, the afterlife and the origins of magic fully integrated into the myth

Given that some of the stories and df talks talk about the afterlife as a plane that can be traveled to, I suspect we'll see 'moving through a portal' or the like as a similar ritual. Like, in real life there's the tradition to put coins on people's eyes, so people can pay Charon to travel to the underworld.

There's also a ton of anti-vampire and night-creature measures too! In my country for example you had to cover mirrors, and close doors and windows to avoid an evil spirit from entering the empty body. Not to mention things like wakes, covering the body in wrappings, or a time limit on when the body should be buried.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 08:24:55 am »

I would go for special coffins/sarcophagus for blinking historic dead monsters and non-dwarves. It could be used for fortress fame somehow.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 10:45:56 am »

I was thinking, maybe then also huge funerals for important figures?

Like, a huge festival because the forgotten beast got killed, or a huge funeral to a dead king, or a mass funeral for sieges gone wrong. Attending funerals could give a huge stress-relief(which dwarves absolutely need).

That way, such huge events have an ingame impact beyond 'tantrum spiral'... I was also partially inspired by the bodyguards suggestion: Assassinations will have a lot more oomph to them beyond 'urist mcbaron was found dead' if there's a huge funeral to go with it.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 02:46:05 pm »

I would add dwarves dying outside of the map (outside expedition), to be memorialized in cenotaphs.
Also worth specifying is the ability to memorialize multiple dwarves per slab, especially if they all died in the same war / siege / megabeast rampage / plague / etc. It would probably have to be a much nicer memorial than most other basic slabs, but better that than having to erect 30 of the damn things.

It would be nice if the mythgen arc included alternative forms of rites for the dead. Real life has sky burials (feeding the body to vultures) and burials at sea.
You might be interested in the old Funerary Rites thread.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 06:37:46 pm »

Also worth specifying is the ability to memorialize multiple dwarves per slab, especially if they all died in the same war / siege / megabeast rampage / plague / etc. It would probably have to be a much nicer memorial than most other basic slabs, but better that than having to erect 30 of the damn things.

It might have to be a constantly maintained thing however if its a ongoing conflict, connecting to a particular event and updating itself with re-requesting that a engraver comes and updates it until it runs out of room (say 20-30 name spaces at player discretion)

A entire squads history of losing their members, with a dedicated squadron cenotaph.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:40:22 pm by FantasticDorf »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 11:36:43 pm »

Memorializing a large-scale attack with one memorial (larger, more complicated slab?) would be useful and fitting.

I'd also like some way to convince dwarves that the best way to show respect to the dead is to loot the body re-distribute their possessions to remember the fallen by then chuck the corpse into the magma return them to Armok's blood.