Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trapped on an island... Almost  (Read 982 times)

Near

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Trapped on an island... Almost
« on: January 13, 2019, 11:23:45 pm »

Im new to the game, i created some worlds just to learn things, when i finally decided that was time to create one for good, to make a long lasting fortress that will create an epic story. First try, no iron... ok i can live with that, everyone lets keep making crafts to trade... hot climate, ok, i think we will live from alcohol, lets produce a ton of that with a lot of diferent plants. Goblin atacks, I dont have any form of armor... weapons, then i tried to trade with the elfs wood, got offended by their insult and killed them, just loose a trading partner and gain an enemy i cant figth... Ok, lets try a new world. (lots of tries to get a good one but is very hard to find one with iron).

Embark on a location with flux, lots of hematite, warm so 0 problems with ice, many trees but not too much. I played a lot, got my first decent (25) dwarf army fully equiped with steel, and my first traps in place with a lot of creativity putted into them. I notice that only dwarf traders come every year (3 years in a row of not coming anymore), no elfs, and not a single goblin on about 5 years. Turns out im almost trapped on and an island, theres a very narrow path to the main land (The path is in a way everything at the mainland is at least 5 day of travel apart). The nearest place to atack was a dark elven fortress 7 days of travel but i razed it (it was very small). I went and raided a 2000 goblin fortress just to begin a war (it said we were at peace) like 2 years ago and they have not come.

Does Goblins not atack you if you are x days apart from them?
       ###### <--- My island
### <-- Only path to the main land
##### <-- Main land
Is there any posibility (just being curious) that in hundreds or thousands of years the sea level raises and turns that into an isolated island? (im very new to this game)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trapped on an island... Almost
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 04:16:22 am »

If your dorfs can reach the goblins, they can reach you. However, goblins tend to attack nearby targets in preference to those longer away (at least that was the case before raiding was introduced), which means they may well be too busy clobbering nearby sites to bother with your site.

The world is almost static after world gen currently. The only parameter I know changes is that Savagery can be lowered by civs over time (and that's been seen in world gen, not in a player world: the changes are too slow to be noted during play even if they occur).
The sea level does not change, nor is there any erosion (erosion takes place before history begins, but doesn't continue during history).

If you're pining for metals you should lower the mineral scarcity parameter in your world gens.

(When it comes to the trees you'll get too many eventually: every embark that supports tree spawning at all will get completely junglified over time if you don't cut the trees vigorously [or block sapling spawning/maturation with stockpiles, floors, roads and the like] over time. The initial tree density only dictates the rate at which the junglification happens).