Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Double Slit seems to not work quite right....

(1/6) > >>

Notere:
I've spent a few attempts on getting it right thus far, and after another stupid (fun!) mistake in the steps, I finally knuckled down and read the wiki article five times. There's a series of actions requiring flooring over up/down stairs and building the screw pump, then repeating the process on the opposite side. The problem with this is it doesn't account for what floors do to up/down stairs. I'm assuming it hasn't been updated because the steps show the up/down stairs still being there when removing the floor. What I keep seeing in this version is the floor removes the up portion of the stairs, which opens up new problems.

Is there a way around this? A new method? Mostly I just want to get this right and flee the sandy hell in which I am currently trapped. Didn't quite count on the aquifer being the size of the entire map. I mean, it's been fun, but I want some rough gems before a solid dozen dwarves have gone insane from unfilled fey moods and possessions.

anewaname:
Yep, constructing and then deconstructing the floor will remove the up portion of the stairs, but after you deconstruct the floor, you just construct an up/down stairs on top of the down portion of the original stairs. I'm not sure if it says that in the article, but it works.

Notere:
After attempting this repeatedly (just in case), designating the stairs for U/D stairs after removing the floor does not work either.

Hans Lemurson:
Interestingly, with all the different ways I've tried getting through aquifers, I've never actually given the "Double Slit Method" a real try.

Making sure that there is always a path to/from the worksite can be very tricky, since you often have to build and deconstruct things many times.  It's nice when you can preserve the original soil/stone for the staircase, but I often end up with whole layers where I've had to build my Up/Down stairs out of wood.

Notere:
So if the original soil is destroyed in the process, could I theoretically reconstruct it out of wood? This I am now attempting...

It works. You can construct up/down stairs from wood after the floor destroys the up portion. Thanks for that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version