Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Issues with Minecarts: Vehicle fill jobs not appearing  (Read 828 times)

Verdant_Squire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Issues with Minecarts: Vehicle fill jobs not appearing
« on: January 14, 2019, 06:50:39 pm »

I've been running a mildly successful fort so far, but despite having a dedicated force of haulers, issues with materials being hauled keep coming up. After some digging around with job priorities, I figured that one of the big bottlenecks in the fort was probably wood hauling - perhaps due to some, uh, overly ambitious wood cutting, there's something in the range of 3,000 logs that still need to be hauled.

I decided to set up a minecart system to try and ease the load and get the wood back into the fort, in order to move onto other tasks. I carved the tracks correctly, and both double and triple checked to make sure all the ramps were working properly - there's definitely no issues with the connection. I also made sure to designate a large outdoor stockpile for wood so that the wood is hauled to a much closer location for the minecarts to take from. The routes were set up, and I designated 2 stops - both the start and end were given orders to take and give to the correct stockpiles, respectively. I also made sure they had actually conditions to leave as well.

This wasn't the first time I had set up some minecart hauling, so I had no reason to believe this wouldn't work. After a while though, I noticed that the minecarts weren't actually being filled at all. I doubled checked the route orders [still correct], and just to be certain, I took several haulers and dedicated them to operating vehicles. A month later, and the only difference so far is that one of the minecarts now has a single log in it.

Utterly stumped, I tried everything I could to try and find what the hold up was. It seems though, that the only thing that's actually stopping the dwarves from filling the minecarts is that the game simply will not spawn the "store item in vehicle" job requests for the minecarts to actually be filled. One or two orders for filling the minecarts, *maybe* a log gets thrown into the cart, and then the jobs to continue filling the cart don't appear for practically weeks on end. Sometimes, the jobs appear, and then disappear before any laborers can even start them. I'm utterly stumped as to why this might be happening. The source stockpile is clearly absolutely filled with logs, and I'm definitely not having any issues with the actual track. Any ideas for what might be causing this?

Screenshots:
Topside: https://i.imgur.com/OZMYkJ1.png
Both minecarts are still in their starting positions. In case it happens to be important, the bridge has not begun construction.

Destination: https://i.imgur.com/JP2UnSQ.png
The track end on the far left is the end location. The actual wood stockpile I want the logs to be hauled to is the bottom left one, around the center.

Order Queue: https://i.imgur.com/4GAaf15.png
Both routes have identical orders. Desired items have been correctly set to all types of wood, and no items are set to be kept at the second stop.

I'll keep fiddling to see what the issue might be, but any advice or suggestions would be enormously helpful.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with Minecarts: Vehicle fill jobs not appearing
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 07:23:17 pm »

Sometimes, the jobs appear, and then disappear before any laborers can even start them.

Stockpile hauling jobs do not respect burrows on job assignment. If you have any burrowed dwarves with the appropriate labor sitting idle, they will be assigned the hauling jobs, which they immediately cancel due to no access. Disabling problematic hauling labors on burrow-restricted dwarves should allow the jobs to be assigned to and performed by unrestricted dwarves.

Verdant_Squire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 07:30:57 pm »

I have no burrows assigned to any dwarves, nor any burrows at all at the current moment. Furthermore, I get no cancellation message when the vehicle jobs disappear - sometimes a job stays open long enough for an idle laborer to take it, but otherwise they dissappear too quickly for the job to get done any anything resembling an acceptable rate.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 03:53:22 am »

It can be noted that the "Store in Vehicle" job has a very low priority, seemingly beaten only by "Store in Location", so very little vehicle filling tends to take place until the source stockpiles are full (at which time there are no hauling jobs to those stockpiles). However, the jobs tend to be generated and placed in the jobs list.

A possible issue is if you've got a problem with vehicle departure conditions such that the cart gets pushed away and hauled back repeatedly, as DF doesn't seem to know that a cart is getting full (and definitely not being due for departure) and so generates Store in Vehicle jobs that are then cancelled when the cart departs, resulting in partially hauled items to be dropped (and hauled back to the departure stockpile).

I've never used hauling jobs to empty a minecart, but rather have it dump its contents on arrival. At times I've used hauling from a stockpile at the dump location, but usually I use a QSP setup (and have the minecart travel to my intended destination, rather than to an intermediate location).

Verdant_Squire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 05:50:36 pm »

Thank you. I believe that the low priority of the store in vehicle job was likely the issue; enabling wood hauling and such on a wide variety of dwarves seems to have made the system start running smoothly. Creating a track stop to dump the contents, rather than manually haul them, also significantly helped the task's completion. In any case, the system is working quite productively now!