Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wine vat/Large wine cask/Wine tank  (Read 1262 times)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wine vat/Large wine cask/Wine tank
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:51:55 am »

This subject has been taken up in following topics on this forum:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=37327
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24406
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26313
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69453
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169352

Picture showing size difference between wine vat to wooden barrel:

Wine vat has to be a C-constructed building. Sizes 1x1,2x2,3x3,4x4 or even like depot 5x5 could be optional for different sizes of wine vats.

Wine vat 1x1 should be holding 60000 volume. Like 10 barrels. Mining cart holds 50000 volume in comparison.
Wine vat 1x1 should take 10 wooden logs by carpenter or 10 bars of metal to construct by metal craftier. Alternatively wine vat building could take 1 component named "1x1 fuid tank", which could be made in carpenter workshop or in (magma) metal forge out of the mentioned. Such item made out of metal should be smelt-able.

1x1 =___60000 volume =__10 barrels. 10 logs/bars
2x2 =__240000 volume =__40 barrels. 20 logs/bars
3x3 =__540000 volume =__90 barrels. 30 logs/bars
4x4 =__960000 volume =_160 barrels. 50 logs/bars
5x5 =_1500000 volume =_250 barrels. 70 logs/bars

Wine vat should work like waterskin in adventure mode. (Added challenge, if some sort of combining fluids like in "making roast" was added, but not necessary for function)

Wine vat should like a lever have 2 option. a) Pour barrels in or b) Fill barrels from. Also 1 mechanism could be added as a part of wine vat's construction.

I know there is nothing on Wikipedia about wine vats, but basically those are just fluid storage tanks and storage tanks are mentioned separately from barrels in Wikipedia. (Added challenge, if we could get water+bucket stockpile, water barrels and water vats in fortress mode, as this would solve issue with bucket bug in there or elaborate under ground cistern constructions to fit a water well into hospital. Player should be able to build hospital then way faster to deal with injuries.)

This is how side of 11x11 tavern in fortress mode could look, when providing visitors with 11 different alcohols stored in 11 constructed 1x1 vats, instead of barrels:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:32:11 am by Sarmatian123 »

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wine vat/Large wine cask/Wine tank
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 07:19:48 pm »

It might be practical for transportation.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 07:22:44 pm »

I wasn't to keen on the idea of vats, but it really does feel like a coherent progression of tech as your fortress grows (and your citizen's needs too)

Yes, they should have the drawback of being immovable, but they can hold a lot more alcohol in a single place, so it'd be the perfect solution to taverns, or alcohol producing zones

I could see them being built up like a ballista, in many parts assembled at a carpenter's workshop

Piping systems are gonna come eventually, as said by toady, but a first step might be to actively hoard large ammounts of water for emergencies, and this is less labour intensive than making reservoirs

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 11:50:43 pm »

The proposed scaling of volume capacity (the square of the units-per-side times the unit-sided volume) obviously is intended to represent the fixed (if nebulous) single Z of height for the structure.

But the material costs will also be close to a quadratic factor in relationship.
Spoiler: Which may be... (click to show/hide)

For simplicity's sake, though, maybe take the Bridge material cost and multiply it up by a constant?  The bridge formula (for nxn footprints) is something like 'floor(nē/4)+1' so 1- to 5-sided (with the 1x1 at 10 materials needed) would be 10, 20, 30, 50, 70. Not too different from your suggestion but putting a rightful premium on building to industrial levels of capacity.

Less technically, I like the idea of mixing spirits, or fortifying wines to various strengths. Not sure how to determine 'nice' mixtures from 'nasty' ones. Apart from allowing distilled product to fortify undistilled versions of itself, or establishing "never mix the grain and the grape" truisms by internally examining the source materials of each component for RAW clues about incompatibilities. But then who thinks dorfs have the same sensibilities?!?

Also I'm not sure it's needed, nor realistic in the setting. Next thing, cocktails!  But bulk vats (at least the baseline 1x1 ones, perhaps appearing as a "Pillar" tile with special coloration for quantity and quality of contents, in default and unaugmented tilesets) sound doable.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 02:09:04 am »

Agreed. 10,20,30,50 & 70 seems very ok!

The idea behind this concept was, that currently all Dwarves pick mugs and run to alcohol stockpiles, because tavern space 11x11 can't fit so many barrels and I am auto producing 13 different alcohol types. So, Dwarves could go to tavern to drink their alcohol instead. Like civilized fortress Dwarves. :D Not like those crude & rude Hillocks' dwarven ruffians. :D

On stockpile side I could remove all those extensive alcohol stockpiles, which I have currently or have some smaller feeder alcohol stockpiles instead.

Also the drink job, shouldn't require to lock wine vat and because it holds so much alcohol, there is no need to lock it for the drinking job anyhow. This could be an issue, if wine vat is locked by a job, for multiple drink services and for automation calculations. Locked items do not count in conditions, as available. This is the only issue here, which I am seeing tbh.

Further step, could be some more general storage tanks. For milled materials or other liquids. Plant silos. Water tanks for hospital for sure. Though tanks, should also work like a stockpile in a way, and not only with lever functionality then. It could prove as complicated in application like introducing new locations. For example pastures or farms could be such locations with better automation on them. Specially, that storage is not currently any concern for Toady. So, unless in future there will be some economic system brought to light...

However, this looks so awesome on pictures, doesn't it. So "medieval". :D

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 09:07:39 am »

However, this looks so awesome on pictures, doesn't it. So "medieval". :D
Created with the highest craftsmanship and cared for with a respect for that craftsmanship.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?